Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need lens recommendations  (Read 2460 times)

Rebelrookie

Need lens recommendations
« on: September 01, 2006, 12:42:35 pm »

Just got a Canon Digitial Rebel and am looking for recommendations on a good lens for shooting ice hockey.  Kids are into sports and I would like to get some good action shots. Don't think I'm ready to spend $1600 for the Canon
EF70-200 f2.8 ISUSM.  Have shot with a borrowed Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 DOISUSM but think light sources may really drive toward a f2.8.  I know image stabilization is a requirement with the fast movement that hockey requires

Any suggestions or input.  Not necessarily hung up on getting a Canon lens, Is there another brand of equal quality that may be less expensive??

macgyver

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 04:01:26 pm »

Just got a Canon Digitial Rebel and am looking for recommendations on a good lens for shooting ice hockey.  Kids are into sports and I would like to get some good action shots. Don't think I'm ready to spend $1600 for the Canon
EF70-200 f2.8 ISUSM.  Have shot with a borrowed Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 DOISUSM but think light sources may really drive toward a f2.8.  I know image stabilization is a requirement with the fast movement that hockey requires

Any suggestions or input.  Not necessarily hung up on getting a Canon lens, Is there another brand of equal quality that may be less expensive??
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75233\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hey,

Actually, the IS won't help at all with the motion of hockey.  IS helps negate the effects of camera shake (ie: when you aren't as steady as you would like) but motion is frozen only by a higher shutter speed.  Personally, for a sports thing like you are talking 2.8 or faster is probably a must for decent photos.  If you want to freeze sports action the minimum is somewhere around 1/500th of a second or better. (although, in an extreme pinch 1/320th will work somewhat)

All that being said, I own the 70-200 IS and it is an amazing lens.  Sharp, quick to focus and the IS will help you get shots you might not have otherwise gotten.  If price is an issue the sigma 70-200 2.8 is also avaliable although without the IS and not as amazing quality.  Also, there is the non IS model of the canon.

hope that helps some.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 04:01:57 pm by macgyver »

DarkPenguin

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 04:14:19 pm »

Sigma makes a pretty nice 70-200 f2.8.  You might consider that.   Or if you're willing to cope with the high ISO's you might also consider the canon 70-200 f4 L.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 11:53:24 am »

There are some definite advantages to fast glass:

1: Autofocus is noticeablt faster and more precise in dim light, because AF is done with the lens wide open regardless of the exposure aperture.

2: The viewfinder is brighter.

3: You don't need to crank the ISO setting up as high, which means less noise in your images, or the ability to shoot in places you couldn't otherwise. In dimmer venues, you simply can't shoot with anything smaller than f/2.8.

4: Narrower DOF, which can be an advantage or a disadvantage depending on the shot. It's great if you are trying to isolate a single subject from background clutter, but not so great when trying to get multiple individuals in focus simultaneously.

As said previously, IS is great for reducing camera shake, mirror slap, and tripod vibrations, but does not affect motion blur from a moving subject. Only faster glass and/or increasing ISO will get you fast enough shutter speeds in dim lighting. I have the Canon 70-200/2.8L IS, and it's one of my favorite lenses. It's optically excellent, and I use it for portraits, events, and stitched panoramas.

aanwar

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 03:38:42 am »

for a cheaper option you might want to consider a fixed 200mm f2.8.
Pages: [1]   Go Up