Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diffraction grating LCD  (Read 3030 times)

David White

• http://
Diffraction grating LCD
« on: September 01, 2006, 11:59:29 am »

Interesting article about the use of diffraction gratings made from artificial muscle which in comination with a full spectrum white light can provide displays with the ability to cover the full spectrum of human vision.  The article can be viewed here.

Looks like wonderful times ahead for the future of photography.
David White

AJSJones

Diffraction grating LCD
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 06:52:45 pm »

Interesting article about the use of diffraction gratings made from artificial muscle which in comination with a full spectrum white light can provide displays with the ability to cover the full spectrum of human vision.  The article can be viewed here.

Looks like wonderful times ahead for the future of photography.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75226\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I wondered about that claim when I saw the headline.  It put me in mind of an article in Jul2006 in Scientific American where I learned that humans have only 3 light absorbing pigments that tell the brain about color (spectral peaks at 424 nm, 530 nm and 560 nm roughly indigo, green and orange); the relative intensities of the signals from cone cells with these pigments is "decoded" as the color we perceive.  That's why a signal with 3 separate pieces of data (such as CMY or RGB) is in principle sufficient for the brain to recreate all the colors the brain knows of.  

Interestingly, birds have 4 pigments, so an RGB monitor could not display enough information for a bird to see the image as realistic.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 07:00:01 pm by AJSJones »
Pages: [1]   Go Up