Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MacBook Pro or Macbook  (Read 2737 times)

Khurram

MacBook Pro or Macbook
« on: August 30, 2006, 05:43:21 pm »

i asked a question a few weeks  back trying to get advice on an imac or macbook and was told in terms of processing speed they should be about the same.

As i would prefer to get a macbook for now, since i am starting a new job, and will no longer have a laptop from work anymore, i am decided to go with a macbook - even though it is over the budget i had set (especially with the expanded memory to 2 gigs).

What i wanted to know is is there any difference between the macBook and the macBook PRo other then the larger screen of the macBook and the graphics card?  is the graphic card going to make a diff for photoshop or canon's DPP, or is a graphic card really only for video and gaming?  

How much of a diff will it make working with a 15.4" display vs a 13.3" display.  For the last few years i've been working with an IBM T53 (i think it is 15"??).  

as my use is mainly for photography, i'm looking at trying to keep costs as low as possible (i.e. don't care about video and gaming), but get most most effiency as possible for working with raw files and photoshop.

currently i'm shooting with a 1DIIN (raw files), and am looking to add a 5D or its replacement withing the next year.

WOuld appreciate some advice on what to pick up - note, i'd like to try and stay under $2k if possible (which isn't possible with the Macbook (my original plan was to get a PC and stay under $1500 and i'm already going over the limit i had set for myself).

one other question is how does apple's laptop displays compare with PC's?  as i have found trying to judge brightness difficult with my T43, as viewing angle makes a huge difference.  WIll it be the same type of issue with the iMac??

one last question is that, can anyone suggest a good place in Calgary to buy a apple computer, where they can add the addtional RAM (non apple) for me?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 05:44:05 pm by Khurram »
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

francois

MacBook Pro or Macbook
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 03:59:45 am »

i asked a question a few weeks  back trying to get advice on an imac or macbook and was told in terms of processing speed they should be about the same.

As i would prefer to get a macbook for now, since i am starting a new job, and will no longer have a laptop from work anymore, i am decided to go with a macbook - even though it is over the budget i had set (especially with the expanded memory to 2 gigs).

What i wanted to know is is there any difference between the macBook and the macBook PRo other then the larger screen of the macBook and the graphics card?  is the graphic card going to make a diff for photoshop or canon's DPP, or is a graphic card really only for video and gaming? 

How much of a diff will it make working with a 15.4" display vs a 13.3" display.  For the last few years i've been working with an IBM T53 (i think it is 15"??). 

as my use is mainly for photography, i'm looking at trying to keep costs as low as possible (i.e. don't care about video and gaming), but get most most effiency as possible for working with raw files and photoshop.

currently i'm shooting with a 1DIIN (raw files), and am looking to add a 5D or its replacement withing the next year.

WOuld appreciate some advice on what to pick up - note, i'd like to try and stay under $2k if possible (which isn't possible with the Macbook (my original plan was to get a PC and stay under $1500 and i'm already going over the limit i had set for myself).

one other question is how does apple's laptop displays compare with PC's?  as i have found trying to judge brightness difficult with my T43, as viewing angle makes a huge difference.  WIll it be the same type of issue with the iMac??

one last question is that, can anyone suggest a good place in Calgary to buy a apple computer, where they can add the addtional RAM (non apple) for me?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can find a reseller in Calgary [a href=\"http://wheretobuy.apple.com/ca_locator/]here[/url]. My last visit in Calgary was in 1998, so I can't really give any real world recommendation. Installing RAM is not difficult and doesn't void your warranty provided you don't damage your computer during the installation (see description here).

The video card is used in Apple's Aperture but I understand it's not in your options and I doubt that Photoshop or Lightroom currently use graphic card acceleration.

Other difference between the MacBook std and Pro is that you can add a additional expansion cards (ExpressCard/34 slot) in the Pro model.

You should visit a local store and see for yourself if the smaller monitor of the Std model is OK for you. But remember that you can probably buy a MacBook and an additional monitor for the price of a MacBook Pro.

HTH
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 04:03:18 am by francois »
Francois

Khurram

MacBook Pro or Macbook
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 07:28:32 am »

You can find a reseller in Calgary here. My last visit in Calgary was in 1998, so I can't really give any real world recommendation. Installing RAM is not difficult and doesn't void your warranty provided you don't damage your computer during the installation (see description here).

The video card is used in Apple's Aperture but I understand it's not in your options and I doubt that Photoshop or Lightroom currently use graphic card acceleration.

Other difference between the MacBook std and Pro is that you can add a additional expansion cards (ExpressCard/34 slot) in the Pro model.

You should visit a local store and see for yourself if the smaller monitor of the Std model is OK for you. But remember that you can probably buy a MacBook and an additional monitor for the price of a MacBook Pro.

HTH
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75027\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
thanks for the reply Francios - one other question - may be a dumb question - but i'm not really a computer guy.  What is the addtional expansion card for (not sure what the expresscard/34 slot is)???
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

francois

MacBook Pro or Macbook
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 08:08:30 am »

thanks for the reply Francios - one other question - may be a dumb question - but i'm not really a computer guy.  What is the addtional expansion card for (not sure what the expresscard/34 slot is)???
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75032\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It's there if you need to add functionnality to your computer (like FireWire 800 connectivity). Nothing to worry about, it's very unlikely that you'll need this feature.
Expresscard/34 is the type of these expansion cards.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 08:08:47 am by francois »
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up