Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fujifilm GFX 50 Or Pentax 645Z  (Read 4220 times)

rollsman44

Fujifilm GFX 50 Or Pentax 645Z
« on: August 27, 2017, 06:58:59 pm »

I am speculating on these. MY Purpose:  Mainly for my Personal use, Portraits, some social functions. and that is pretty much what I do.  Since I don't shoot weddings any longer I want something for my personal usage as I described above. I want the Best IQ and would buy Manual or AF lenses since I don't need to have the quickness to capture anyone or anything. I have used the Pentax 645D and was good but I would like the ability to use a higher ISO ( Max. 1600)
   I dont shoot wide open and I do use flash off camera and on a Camera Bracket as Needed.  I have been reading about the GFX and Vintage lenses with an adaptor.
   With the Z I would not need the adaptor.  Tough choice.  Thank you

Gerd_Peters

Re: Fujifilm GFX 50 Or Pentax 645Z
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 09:47:10 am »

Hello Rollsmann44,

i have both cameras the 645Z and the GFX. With ISO 1600 the cameras take practically nothing.

The GFX is better what the flashes with manual lenses if one wants to move out of the flash synchronous time (1/125s) (HSS or SyperSync). For both cameras then a TTL compatible device must be recognized by the camera. In most cases, a flash trigger. The 645Z would like to calculate the flash power automatically via TTL. For this purpose, it needs a minimum aperture, shutter speed and distance. If the aperture is missing, as with manual lenses without transmission, the 645Z denies the release of the flash. The GFX does not do that. It accepts that one can use the TTL signal also only partially as a control signal. The GFX also releases the flash without a TTL device outside the flash sync time. That goes with me to 1/160s without which a shading in the picture or the curtain is recognizable. 

Otherwise the operating concept is different for both cameras.
In the GFX interferes me personally that there are no memory banks for the complete presets of the camera and the camera does not notice where I was last in the menu.
The 645z I can use somewhat better with gloves than the GFX.
The angle view finder on the GFX is a real pound in the weighing pan.

If you want to buy/adapt different manual medium format lenses, the GFX is actually the first choice. I use Pentax 67, Pentax 645 and Mamiya 645 lenses via adapter directly to the GFX. The image quality is very good, depending on the lens and imaging performance. From KB lenses at the GFX, I am not so enthusiastic (except for a few exceptions). This is not so much about the shading, but rather about the rapidly declining imaging performance towards the edge.   

Otherwise the GFX is the more modern system. Pentax unfortunately has long been nothing for the 645z announced and delivered. What I find very unfortunate and I can at present not form a correct opinion where it could go in the future with Pentax and medium format. With us in Germany, the Fuji Professional Service is very good. The Pentax 645 service is unfortunately worse in terms of spare parts supply and loan equipment. In your region, however, it might look different.

Greeting Gerd

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 11:52:27 am »

Well written and very good insight to the state of Ricoh/Pentax.  Personally I really hate to see what has happened to them, but I have sold all my Pentax gear off.

Similar comment to the K1, which had so much promise, but Pentax has done nothing to address issues that existed from day 1 and have not announced any modern glass in over 1 year. 

Solution for the 50MP market is the Hasselblad or GFX if you are looking for that type of shooting experience or Hasselblad 50c and Phase One IQ150/350 if you want a digital back.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

rollsman44

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 01:07:09 pm »

Thank you for sharing these facts. I would like to go with the Fuji 50 BUT i need to know more about 3rd party lenses in terms of Image quality. As I mentioned its mainly for my personal use now. I don't mind Manual focusing lenses just looking to see which of the 3rd party lenses are the Best to use for sharpness, Image quality and Skin tones. If you know or have any info on which lenses have what I am looking for I would greatly appreciate it. I see that Contax 645 lenses are very good, certain ones and I hear that the Minolta Rokkur lenses are good too.   I just need 2 lenses for now.  A 50/55 and a 105 or 135 or 150 for portraits. I shoot F2.8 and higher ( F4.0, 5.6. f8 )  and sometimes f11.   thank you   dennis

Gerd_Peters

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 05:41:31 am »

Hello Dennis,

some good to very good lenses, in about your focal range are:

Mamiya Sektor C 45mm F2.8 N
Please search only the N version. N stands for NEW version

Mamiya Sektor C 50mm F4 Shift
I also very much like to use a fast 2 - 3 picture pano to stitch

SMC Pentax 67 105mm F2.4
For me an outstanding portrait lens. With the aperture open, it produces a hardly perceptible swirl in the bokeh. It looks kind of magical.
There are several versions of the Pentax 67. Please search for a very late version if possible (production start 1989).
The versions differed in spelling.
Old version are:
Super Takumar 6x7 105mm F2.4 (1969)
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 6x7 105mm F2.4 (1971)

SMC Pentax-FA 645 150mm F2.8 [IF]
Very nice portrait lens. At open aperture already well sharp. From F4 to F11 TOP
Please search for the FA version is better than the A version and the autofocus can be switched off.

With 645 Pentax and 645 Mamiya lenses you have to pay attention that you only versions with aperture ring search. For version without aperture ring, there are currently no adapters, which can be installed directly on the GFX.

Sample images of all lenses will be found on flikr.com or similar sites.

Good success Greeting Gerd

rollsman44

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 10:10:18 pm »

You are awesome. I needed this info to help me in deciding on a system that is affordable. I have owned the Pentax 645D and a few of their lenses and they are excellent especially the ones you discussed here. My next question is:   I would have to Invest 5800 on a USED Fuji GFX 50 Body,plus adaptor for Pentax lenses
   Or  Re Purchase another 645D body for about 2200 and NO adaptor and use the Pentax lenses as discussed. Any ideas on my thinking ?   Thank you again
   Dennis

Gerd_Peters

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 08:12:37 am »

Hello Dennis,

Your input question at the top of the article related to the ISO performance. The 645D has a CCD sensor so high ISO performance automatically falls away. Only the 645Z has a CMOS sensor just like the GFX 50s. But a useful 645Z you will probably not get for 2200 USD. If ISO performance is important, practically the question is superfluous.

If you buy "now" a used GTX, then it still has factory warranty. Should be at the camera something - what you do not have to blame - then it is repaired by Fuji free of charge. With us in Germany you get automatically when purchasing a GFX the Fuji Professionell service for 2 years (free of charge). You have to check whether it is in your region.

Gruß Gerd
Pages: [1]   Go Up