Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: De-rolling scuffs  (Read 2150 times)

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
De-rolling scuffs
« on: August 27, 2017, 01:37:37 pm »

Been trying to use the de-roller to uncurl my prints but I'm finding it's pretty badly scuffing up the surface. If I put a piece of interleaving paper over the print, it avoids most of the scuffs, but I see vertical indentions presumably where the starting edge of the paper wraps all the way around or something. I guess I'll need to try using my dry mount press to flatten. Any tips for flattening particularly scuff-prone papers? I suppose a few other things I could try would be to wait a few hours after printing to see if the extra dry time helps, and I could try using the smooth release paper I use for dry-press mounting instead of interleaving paper to protect the print while de-rolling.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 02:05:12 pm by Mackman »

rdonson

Re: De-rolling scuffs
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 02:46:07 pm »

Are you getting scuffing with the D-Roller product????  Or... using something else?
https://www.itsupplies.com/D-Roller-Paper-De-Curler

I've not had any issues with the D-Roller but if I did I'd probably clean it thoroughly first and if necessary just add some tissue paper to protect the surface.
Regards,
Ron

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 02:59:49 pm »

A large diameter tube is less likely to cause the kind of slippage that causes scuffing.  The downside is that it takes more time to remove the curl.  My decurling devices are partially used rolls of canvas on 2" cores, with an effective decurling diameter of about 3 inches.  It takes 20+ minutes to decurl thick, stiff media.

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 03:01:00 pm »

Yeah, it is with the D-Roller. It's brand new and clean, but it just seems the Hahnemuhle Photo Gloss Baryta surface is still extremely susceptible to fine scratches. Perhaps I should limit myself to sheet feeding it because managing the roll is proving a real challenge. I'm almost done with this roll so perhaps I'll try using the leftover 3" core to de-roll next.

pearlstreet

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 06:49:45 pm »

I found that paper to be easy to mark up also when trying to get the curl out.

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 09:16:16 pm »

As Sharon said, Hahnemuhle Photo Gloss Baryta, has a surface that's really easy to scratch or mar.
Regards,
Ron

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 07:32:20 am »

I had been hoping the revised formulation would be tougher than the original Harman one but doesn't appear that way. I give up. Ordered some Photo Silk Baryta instead. Wasting way too much money on damaged prints.

rdonson

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 06:22:23 pm »

Photo Silk Baryta is a favorite of mine.  Love the look!
Regards,
Ron

donbga

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 08:17:23 pm »

Are you getting scuffing with the D-Roller product????  Or... using something else?
https://www.itsupplies.com/D-Roller-Paper-De-Curler

I've not had any issues with the D-Roller but if I did I'd probably clean it thoroughly first and if necessary just add some tissue paper to protect the surface.

Too bad the D-Roller is outrageously priced.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 08:34:39 am »

There are lots of DIY de-roller designs on the Internet that are very inexpensive to make.

rdonson

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 02:51:58 pm »

For me, it easily paid for itself. 

As Alan points out, there are many DIY designs available on YouTube and the interwebs
Regards,
Ron

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 01:25:23 pm »

The D roller works, but if you are working with this type of paper, you might want to try rolling the print with a slanted start.  Not the way the D-roller video shows.  Doing their way will always leave you with an imprint possibility as you are starting the paper evenly.  Using the roller with the 2 inch roller helps also as the 1 1.5 to me is too small for larger prints.

You will need more rolls but the diagonal layout IMO removed all of the imprint issues.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

alain

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 03:11:07 pm »

Yeah, it is with the D-Roller. It's brand new and clean, but it just seems the Hahnemuhle Photo Gloss Baryta surface is still extremely susceptible to fine scratches. Perhaps I should limit myself to sheet feeding it because managing the roll is proving a real challenge. I'm almost done with this roll so perhaps I'll try using the leftover 3" core to de-roll next.

I de curl the harman gloss with far larger core's  16cm (about 6 inches) and get good result if I use interleaving paper after I let the paper dry for at least 6 hours.  I've made 2 DIY ones and leave the paper for at least 1 hour in it.

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 06:11:09 pm »

Hah I'm not sure I could wait 6 hours to decurl. I find curled up paper too distressing to look at :-)

alain

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 06:17:20 pm »

Hah I'm not sure I could wait 6 hours to decurl. I find curled up paper too distressing to look at :-)

You can experiment, but the paper needs quite some time to dry completely.  Maybe an hour is enough, usually I let them rest overnight.
Pages: [1]   Go Up