Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Polarizers?  (Read 2749 times)

maggieddd

Polarizers?
« on: August 28, 2006, 10:21:14 pm »

I'd like to get a 70mm circular polarizer but I am confused. I already have one of the B+W polarizers but I wanted to get another one.  There are so many of them with the same features but the price varies a lot.  What should I be paying attention to?

Thanks
Maggie

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
Polarizers?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 07:51:07 am »

I'd like to get a 70mm circular polarizer but I am confused. I already have one of the B+W polarizers but I wanted to get another one.  There are so many of them with the same features but the price varies a lot.  What should I be paying attention to?

Thanks
Maggie
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74806\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, start with getting the thread size correctly stated. I don't think 70mm exists as a standard size.

There are numerous threads in this forum that will give you clear direction regarding your choices - very good information. Please do a search on polarizer. You will be delighted on the results.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

maggieddd

Polarizers?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 06:43:28 am »

Well, start with getting the thread size correctly stated. I don't think 70mm exists as a standard size.

There are numerous threads in this forum that will give you clear direction regarding your choices - very good information. Please do a search on polarizer. You will be delighted on the results.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74835\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, the thread size is a typo, I meant 77mm.  
Funny, I searched the forum and came up with just a few threads that basically discuss the brands of polarizers.
I want B+W.
Perhaps I should ask this:
When would one opt for wide glass polarizer? What's the difference between Kaeseman vs. non Kaeseman.  Why would I want a multicoated polarizer?

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
Polarizers?
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 07:51:44 am »

Thanks, the thread size is a typo, I meant 77mm. 
Funny, I searched the forum and came up with just a few threads that basically discuss the brands of polarizers.
I want B+W.
Perhaps I should ask this:
When would one opt for wide glass polarizer? What's the difference between Kaeseman vs. non Kaeseman.  Why would I want a multicoated polarizer?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74902\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maggie,

You need a thin polarizer when the lens/camera combination is on the verge of vingnetting and you don't want a thick polarizer to be the cause of vignetting. For example, a 17-40 zoom on a 1.6 crop camera has a considerable margin from causing vignetted images. A standard polarizer will suffice. Put that same lens on a full-frame camera and you need the thin polarizer to prevent corner vignetting.

Kaeseman means that the edges of the filter are chemically sealed (encased). Supposedly these will hold up better under extreme environmental conditions. Optically there is no advantage. I have these, but have to admit I don't believe any normal user would ever get any benefit from this feature. I over-bought.

Multicoated cuts surface flare drastically. You absolutely need it to preserve the performance your lenses are capable of. This is essential.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 07:52:58 am by boku »
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

maggieddd

Polarizers?
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 06:44:54 pm »

Maggie,

You need a thin polarizer when the lens/camera combination is on the verge of vingnetting and you don't want a thick polarizer to be the cause of vignetting. For example, a 17-40 zoom on a 1.6 crop camera has a considerable margin from causing vignetted images. A standard polarizer will suffice. Put that same lens on a full-frame camera and you need the thin polarizer to prevent corner vignetting.

Kaeseman means that the edges of the filter are chemically sealed (encased). Supposedly these will hold up better under extreme environmental conditions. Optically there is no advantage. I have these, but have to admit I don't believe any normal user would ever get any benefit from this feature. I over-bought.

Multicoated cuts surface flare drastically. You absolutely need it to preserve the performance your lenses are capable of. This is essential.

Hope that helps.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks a lot.  I decided to get B+W 77 mm Circular Polarizer Multi-Coated (MC) Slim Glass Filter
[a href=\"http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=133003&is=REG&addedTroughType=search]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...oughType=search[/url]

This should be good for my 5D and 17-40 lens.

Thank you
Pages: [1]   Go Up