Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X1D new firmware  (Read 4104 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
X1D new firmware
« on: August 24, 2017, 09:55:50 am »

I got a mail from Hasselblad in which they claim to have implemented a fully silent electronic shutter available at shutter speeds between 1/10,000s and 68 min.

Would this mean that non leaf shutter lenses can now be adapted to the X1D... which would be a total game changer?

Is more info available?

Cheers,
Bernard

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Re: X1D new firmware
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 11:38:33 am »

One problem might still be readout speed. However, great news when using the camera on a tripod. The question remains if there are enough cameras out there for a company to produce adapters.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

SrMi

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 11:41:17 am »

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 05:02:32 pm »

See https://blog.mingthein.com/2017/08/24/e-shutter-firmware-for-the-hasselblad-x1d/ where Nikon mount lenses are tested with X1D.

Thanks, this is absolutely great news, perhaps better than D850! The ability to mount the Nikon 19mm T/S on an X1D will result in the ultimate compact landscape kit. Also, the 70-200f2.8 E FL would be an amazing option for portaits too.

Many adapters are available for the gfx, there is no reason to think they won't be available for the X1D with this capability.

I hope they can expand this to the Pinhole mode of the H6D-100c also.

Cheers,
Bernard

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 05:32:04 pm »

With the 19mm PC-E I believe the problem will be setting aperture. Doesn't the 19mm use the same aperture tech as the 200-500 and new 70-200?  No adapter I could find for the GFX/Nikon mount could fire the aperture. So you are stuck with the pull the lens off and hope the aperture sticks.

Same issue with Canon TS-E. but several adapters can control the aperture.

Would love to use the 19mm on the GFX. The IC should allow for a lot of movements.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 07:11:18 pm »

You just need to set its aperture at, say f9, on a Nikon body and it will stay there it seems.

I don't think it would pose a practical issue for most usage patterns.

The 105mm f1.4 and 70-200 E are so good and have such a wonderful look wide open that I don't see any reason to stop them down for typical applications.

Cheers,
Bernard

siddhaarta

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 07:15:30 pm »

Thanks, this is absolutely great news, perhaps better than D850! The ability to mount the Nikon 19mm T/S on an X1D will result in the ultimate compact landscape kit. Also, the 70-200f2.8 E FL would be an amazing option for portaits too.

Many adapters are available for the gfx, there is no reason to think they won't be available for the X1D with this capability.

Novoflex (who makes the intelligent adapters for Canon EOS and Nikon E lenses for the Leica SL) until now only produces a bunch of dumb adapters for Fuji GFX. So I am not that optimistic that they will do more than dumb adapters for Hasselblad X-Mount. Anyway that would be something already: thinking of Hasselblad V lenses, Leica R lenses (especially the wonderful teles which work perfectly on Leica S) and appropriate Zeiss Otus (85) and Milvus (85 and 135) lenses in ZF2 mount.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 07:15:47 pm »

Hi Bernard

To freeze it at a set aperture do you set it and just turn off the camera? Or set it and remove it with the camera still on? 

Thanks
Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

siddhaarta

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 07:20:21 pm »

The 105mm f1.4 and 70-200 E are so good and have such a wonderful look wide open that I don't see any reason to stop them down for typical applications.

Yes, I thought the same of my Contax 645 Planar 80mm. Who would use that lens with an aperture other than 2.0 :). So a dumb adapter would be perfectly fine for me. Nevertheless for the Nikon and Canon T/S, an electronic adapter would be really necessary.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 07:51:48 pm »

To freeze it at a set aperture do you set it and just turn off the camera? Or set it and remove it with the camera still on? 

Hi Paul,

I haven't done it myself, but I understand that:
- you mount the lens on your new D850
- set the desired aperture
- use the DoF preview button
- turn off the camera

I'll give it a try over the weekend,

Cheers,
Bernard

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 04:24:43 am »

One problem might still be readout speed. However, great news when using the camera on a tripod. The question remains if there are enough cameras out there for a company to produce adapters.

+ 1 Ming Thein talks about a readout of almost 1/3 second for the whole image
so there goes your 50MP advantage...
Jim Kasson can use it for some special projects. ;) Lartigue already used the technique... and made this beautiful photograph
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 04:29:27 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 05:14:28 am »

+ 1 Ming Thein talks about a readout of almost 1/3 second for the whole image

True, this isn't a universal solution.

But you could still manage architecture, landscape, most portrait, product,... work without issues.

More importantly, it demonstrates a deep understanding of the photographers expectations.

Cheers,
Bernard

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 08:17:15 am »

The issue of rolling shutter on the ES is over stated.  IMO.

The ES on the IQ3100 is even longer as I recall, I used almost all the time.  You will not see issues with movements in landscape images, unless there is a 20 mph or stronger wind blowing.  It works fine also on the GFX.  There are also issues with flash, as can be expected.

Yes, if you take a picture of a person moving, or a car, etc, the rolling shutter will show it's effect. But it's nothing as bad as many folks make out. 

In over 2K (many more taken, just not proofed)  frames with the 3100 all with ES enabled, I have only found maybe 10 frames that were effected enough to not use.

The upsides are well worth it, as it makes the XF and IQ back very stable now and use of telephoto lenses on tripod is much more reliable.  Even with vibration reduction mode on, the XF IMO is plagued by mirror shock and shutter shock with any lenses longer than 100mm.  The ES totally eliminates all of this.

You really have to try it and see, as the results will speak for themselves. 

I have not seen the ES on the Hasselblad as far as images, but have used it on the GFX and X-T2 from Fuji and the IQ3100 and all have no issues for my landscape shots, (unless there is wind and a lot of it).

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

pschefz

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 01:35:00 pm »

True, this isn't a universal solution.

But you could still manage architecture, landscape, most portrait, product,... work without issues.

More importantly, it demonstrates a deep understanding of the photographers expectations.

Cheers,
Bernard

architecture: there might be issues with light flicker
landscape: yes, maybe but the movement might still look a little strange (tree tops)
i don't see how you can do portrait unless you are looking for a very strange effect or we are talking about an old time large format portrait setting....
product: yes
same as with the fuji GFX, the electronic shutter with this large sensor is for very, very limited applications....i use ES with A7RII all the time, i gave up on it with the GFX
schefz.com
artloch.com

Dan Wells

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 12:48:39 am »

The only problem with the "use a D850 to set the aperture" technique is whether you might not prefer the following workflow?

Mount lens on D850
Set aperture
Push D850 shutter button all the way, taking 45 MP image with excellent recent-generation sensor
Examine at anything short of 400% - you'll never see the difference.

In all seriousness, you could use something light and cheap  (a D3400 or the like) to set the aperture, and then there would be a practical difference in the appearance of the image. The problem these 50 MP cameras face is that the latest generation full-frame 40+MP cameras are very close to them in IQ (and the D850 only reduces the gap more). The same thing happens with the 24 MP full-frame cameras - the difference compared to recent 24 MP APS-C is very small. The 100 MP Sony MF sensor will increase the gap again (even against 60-70 MP FF). There is certainly more room to increase resolution in medium format without losing DR or other important aspects of image quality than there is in full-frame or APS-C.
Nobody seems to have a really good 50 MP full-frame sensor (the 5Ds/5DsR sensor seems to have compromised DR), but there's no question that the 42 MP A7rII sensor is excellent, and the D850 sensor seems great in early testing. That's awfully close to 50 MP on a somewhat larger sensor, especially given the fast FF glass. It's not close to 100 MP...
Pages: [1]   Go Up