Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable Mass Storage for Phase One Files  (Read 6835 times)

Jack Varney

• http://
Portable Mass Storage for Phase One Files
« on: August 28, 2006, 07:39:15 pm »

I have been looking for a compact mass storage device compatible with and able to display and store my Phase One P45 files while traveling. At the PMA show in Orlando Florida earlier this year I tried some P45 files on two well known portable storage disk devices. These devices stored the files but were not able to display the embedded jpegs or the RAW files. More recent inquiries were largely ignored.

Another vendor I investigated, Digital Foci, offers their “Picture Porter Elite”. Upon my initial inquiry as to whether their offering would support the P45 files, they offered to have me upload a P45 file to their server which they then put on a CF Card and loaded this to the Picture Porter Elite. I was advised that the Elite displayed the jpeg, the histogram, and EXIF data and stored the file. They then uploaded the stored file from the Elite to their server and asked me to download it to my PC to insure file integrity. I downloaded the file and found no differences. All this was accomplished overnight!

I was told a unit could be shipped two days prior to initial delivery of this new product in order to meet my travel requirements. Great service and immediate follow through. I placed the order.

The Picture Porter Elite arrived two days before my departure. I must say that the product is an elegant compact unit (3”X5”X1”), well packaged and includes some of the best documentation I have seen. It was easy to learn and I had it operating in minutes. Models include 40GB and 80GB versions and a 100GB version available on special request.

I highly recommend the Picture Porter Elite and, if you are using the Phase One P45, it is a must.

Additional functions include FM broadcast reception, audio and video playback, direct picture printing and others.

Digital Foci Picture Porter Elite can be seen at www.digitalfoci.com.
Jack Varney

James Russell

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 03:38:04 pm »

I have been looking for a compact mass storage device compatible with and able to display and store my Phase One P45 files while traveling. At the PMA show in Orlando Florida earlier this year I tried some P45 files on two well known portable storage disk devices. These devices stored the files but were not able to display the embedded jpegs or the RAW files. More recent inquiries were largely ignored.

Another vendor I investigated, Digital Foci, offers their “Picture Porter Elite”. Upon my initial inquiry as to whether their offering would support the P45 files, they offered to have me upload a P45 file to their server which they then put on a CF Card and loaded this to the Picture Porter Elite. I was advised that the Elite displayed the jpeg, the histogram, and EXIF data and stored the file. They then uploaded the stored file from the Elite to their server and asked me to download it to my PC to insure file integrity. I downloaded the file and found no differences. All this was accomplished overnight!

I was told a unit could be shipped two days prior to initial delivery of this new product in order to meet my travel requirements. Great service and immediate follow through. I placed the order.

The Picture Porter Elite arrived two days before my departure. I must say that the product is an elegant compact unit (3”X5”X1”), well packaged and includes some of the best documentation I have seen. It was easy to learn and I had it operating in minutes. Models include 40GB and 80GB versions and a 100GB version available on special request.

I highly recommend the Picture Porter Elite and, if you are using the Phase One P45, it is a must.

Additional functions include FM broadcast reception, audio and video playback, direct picture printing and others.

Digital Foci Picture Porter Elite can be seen at www.digitalfoci.com.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74797\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are you saying if you taek only raw files from a P-25 or P-45 (without processing to jpegs) and put them in this device you can see a preview on the lcd?

And if so how good is the preview?

JR

Jack Varney

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 06:07:10 pm »

James,

The P25  and P45 backs create RAW files that have a .tiff extension. The RAW file has an embedded .jpeg file with low resolution. This jpeg is what displays on the P25/45 LCD and it is what the Picture Porter Elite displays.

I doubt that any of the mass storage devices will soon process the actual RAW file for display because they are big at 50MB and they develop out to around 250MB each!

The jpeg resolution of the P45 jpeg is only 208X156 pixels which is less than the resolution of the Picture Porter Elite (320X240 on a 3.6 inch LCD).  The preview is fair, bigger than the the display on the P45 but no finer. Files from my Canon Pro 1 have much more resolution than the P45 files but that is becaule the Canon files have higher resolution that the Picture Porter can take advantage of.

I find that the resolution is fine for "in the field" or "on the trip" review and the histograms and EXIF data are certainly useful for evaluation.

Hope this helps.
Jack Varney

James Russell

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 01:03:28 am »

James,

The P25  and P45 backs create RAW files that have a .tiff extension. The RAW file has an embedded .jpeg file with low resolution. This jpeg is what displays on the P25/45 LCD and it is what the Picture Porter Elite displays.

I doubt that any of the mass storage devices will soon process the actual RAW file for display because they are big at 50MB and they develop out to around 250MB each!

The jpeg resolution of the P45 jpeg is only 208X156 pixels which is less than the resolution of the Picture Porter Elite (320X240 on a 3.6 inch LCD).  The preview is fair, bigger than the the display on the P45 but no finer. Files from my Canon Pro 1 have much more resolution than the P45 files but that is becaule the Canon files have higher resolution that the Picture Porter can take advantage of.

I find that the resolution is fine for "in the field" or "on the trip" review and the histograms and EXIF data are certainly useful for evaluation.

Hope this helps.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74874\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes it helps, but I still don't understand as I have been told by numerous devleopers that the Phase 25 files does not have an embedded tiff or jpeg.

At one point the devleoper of PhotoMechanic took apart the P-25 raw file and said to his knowledge their was no preview file.

I use I-view to sort and organize my leaf raws and I-vew supports the Leaf but only (in my use) reads the small 300 px wide tiff which is enough for sorting and renaming.

I-view does not list that support Phase files and I assumed that is because of the preview.

Thanks for the information.

JR

GregShapps

• http://www.shappsphotography.com
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 04:41:55 pm »

Yes it helps, but I still don't understand as I have been told by numerous devleopers that the Phase 25 files does not have an embedded tiff or jpeg.

At one point the devleoper of PhotoMechanic took apart the P-25 raw file and said to his knowledge their was no preview file.

I use I-view to sort and organize my leaf raws and I-vew supports the Leaf but only (in my use) reads the small 300 px wide tiff which is enough for sorting and renaming.

I-view does not list that support Phase files and I assumed that is because of the preview.

Thanks for the information.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74893\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

PhotoMechanic sees and displays my H25 raw files just fine - I don't understand why your saying it doesn't work.   Phase Raw's certainly do have an embedded preview file - if you just drag a raw Phase file into PhotoShop that embedded file will open as a 339x255 res image.

James Russell

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 12:41:00 am »

PhotoMechanic sees and displays my H25 raw files just fine - I don't understand why your saying it doesn't work.   Phase Raw's certainly do have an embedded preview file - if you just drag a raw Phase file into PhotoShop that embedded file will open as a 339x255 res image.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74957\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is what I was told by the developer of Photo Mechanic a year or so ago.

Not that I'm disputing your findings, but I have asked dealers, factor reps, if the phase has an ebedded preview file directly from the camera (not if the raw is put through c-1), but directly out of the camera through cf card to direct download to PhotoMechanic or Ivew and never received an answer.

The result is I just assumed it didn't.

So, maybe I'm missing this, but if you shoot a P-25 directly to a cf card and just drag the card to Photomechanic, or I-view it will read the embedded preview?   Without going through C-1?

Or does photomechanic somehow read the raw file and make a small process preview?

Thanks

JR

Jae_Moon

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 08:51:55 am »

This is what I was told by the developer of Photo Mechanic a year or so ago.

Not that I'm disputing your findings, but I have asked dealers, factor reps, if the phase has an ebedded preview file directly from the camera (not if the raw is put through c-1), but directly out of the camera through cf card to direct download to PhotoMechanic or Ivew and never received an answer.

The result is I just assumed it didn't.

So, maybe I'm missing this, but if you shoot a P-25 directly to a cf card and just drag the card to Photomechanic, or I-view it will read the embedded preview?   Without going through C-1?

Or does photomechanic somehow read the raw file and make a small process preview?

Thanks

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75018\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

James:

Based on P45 (I have never tried a P25), a small JPG preview file is created by P45 and is embedded with the raw file. You can see a thumbnail view even with Windows files directory if you choose. You will see it in PSCS Bridge also.

Jae Moon

Jack Varney

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 12:52:46 pm »

deleted
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 12:57:34 pm by Beachconnection »
Jack Varney

Jack Varney

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 12:56:18 pm »

"So, maybe I'm missing this, but if you shoot a P-25 directly to a cf card and just drag the card to Photomechanic, or I-view it will read the embedded preview? Without going through C-1?"

James, Drag it almost anywhere you want, Windows Explorer, Microsoft Photo Editor, Photoshop, etc. You wiill see the embedded file. You can even save it if you like, seperately. I have attached one just for you.

If you still don't believe this I would recommend going directly to the horse's mouth, i.e. www.phaseone.com and click on support. They will verify.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 01:23:33 pm by Beachconnection »
Jack Varney

James Russell

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 02:56:57 pm »

"So, maybe I'm missing this, but if you shoot a P-25 directly to a cf card and just drag the card to Photomechanic, or I-view it will read the embedded preview? Without going through C-1?"

James, Drag it almost anywhere you want, Windows Explorer, Microsoft Photo Editor, Photoshop, etc. You wiill see the embedded file. You can even save it if you like, seperately. I have attached one just for you.

If you still don't believe this I would recommend going directly to the horse's mouth, i.e. www.phaseone.com and click on support. They will verify.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75064\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't disbelive you, I was just told differently by a developer and by a P-25 user (a very proactive P-25 user).

JR

sundstei

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 09:16:02 pm »

I don't disbelive you, I was just told differently by a developer and by a P-25 user (a very proactive P-25 user).

Just to verify.. I get the P45 files, the P30 files and the P25 files showing in PhotoMechanic (on PC).
IView Media Pro v3.1.1 also shows the files with the small preview.

It works both with files direct from CF card as well as after they have been into C1.

The preview is also visible in Windows Explorer for all files.

Hope this helps..

Svein Erik
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 09:16:52 pm by sundstei »

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 11:17:11 pm »

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75087\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
hi james, i just dragged a p25 file into a few different programs and it does open as a small preview. but big enough for a contact sheet. if only it showed on the back of the back as sharp as it shows on my apple display- it would be briliant.

paul jones
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau
Pages: [1]   Go Up