Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Sad End To Some Nice Equipment  (Read 1494 times)

Kevin Gallagher

A Sad End To Some Nice Equipment
« on: August 23, 2017, 02:34:39 pm »

I didn't see this posted anywhere here so here it is. Seems somebody had their Leica Body AND .95 Noctilux lens busted up by the airlines. I have no idea of the veracity of the article just posting the link for informational purposes.

Camera & Lens Destroyed

Kevin in CT
 Kevin Gallagher
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: A Sad End To Some Nice Equipment
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 02:47:04 pm »

Dubious. In Iceland my Canon 1dsMk3 with 24-105 L lens slipped out of my hands and fell lens-face down on a solid, pointy, sharp-edged shard of ice on the "beach". It made quite a loud thud and I thought I was done for. Turned out the filter wasn't even dented and the mechanics of both the lens and the camera survived just fine. Well-built equipment can take a lot of punishment. In a suitcase one can wrap a camera and lens in enough clothing so that such damage just wouldn't happen, even if they threw the suitcase in and out of the hold, as they so often do.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 03:13:12 pm »

Well, I used to have a very pretty Rowi tripod (with red leather bits) that went into the hold, inside a suitcase packed with clothes. It flew British Airways from London to Nassau (I'm not sure any longer if it was via Miami or not, though I think it was). When it got there, I discovered that I now owned a duopod with which to steady my 8/500 reflex Nikkor. The break wasn't a leg - it was right up at the neck where the three legs are anchored.

I can't see a Leica fare better if the odds are stacked against it on any particular day.

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 05:53:04 pm »

Yup. Outlier, improbable stuff happens.

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up