Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reality vs image  (Read 1015 times)

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
Reality vs image
« on: August 23, 2017, 11:31:09 am »

I've seen Halley's comet in the sky.

I've witnessed a solar eclipse, but not looked at one (unlike The Donald who stupidly did).

The photographs of the eclipse look great online, but my experiences of the two events was underwhelming.

Should we wait up for solar events or just wait for the photographic images?

Curious,

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 12:06:53 pm by tom b »
Tom Brown

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
Re: Reality vs image
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 11:36:10 am »

This was my first one, either seeing or photographing.  I found it to be a surreal experience.  Granted I was really busy with two set-ups during totality, but I managed to enjoy the view a little.  That moment when totality starts was pretty amazing to me and I knew what to expect.  I can only imagine what people felt when they had no knowledge of the occurence.  I'd certainly wait up for it again if I ever got the opportunity.
John
Flickr

NancyP

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 11:45:19 am »

I was at a state conservation area, and part of the experience was hearing the cicadas and birds abruptly stop singing at totality - silence (from the wildlife - the people were cheering, partly for the eclipse and partly for the 10 degree drop from 96 to 86 degrees) - then a few minutes after the end of totality, the racket begins again. I was surprised at how quickly the temperature drops - that has to be the signal for the (cold-blooded) insect life.

The light is very odd in totality. 360 degree sunset, and odd shadows.

Telecaster

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 06:15:15 pm »

I really enjoyed just paying attention to what was going on around me during the eclipse: the sky dimming, the temp cooling, the shadows sharpening, the insects chriping. We didn't get totality here but it was a fun event anyway.

I've always found photos to be secondary to seeing and experiencing, and have used photography mainly to sharpen seeing and heighten experience. In the digital age I find I value photos even less than before, maybe because I know how easily than can be worked. Which isn't to say I don't value 'em at all.

-Dave-

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 08:53:33 pm »

Having just witnessed my first, I can only comment on eclipses.  As Nancy says, the light just before totality is extraordinary, inexplicable and oh so transient.

Images of whatever quality cannot substitute for the actual experience of totality. You have to be there.

I took the advice of experts and decided I'd photograph my second eclipse, not my first. I knew that nothing I could do would compete with the experienced experts for photography of this event. I did set up two cameras shooting no-intervention-required time lapse, but the results were unimpressive.

Nothing can prepare you for the visceral, emotional, spiritual impact of totality. Your first Black Sun is something you'll never forget. It cost me six days of my life and a few hundred dollars. One of my better investments.
Pages: [1]   Go Up