Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CrashPlan for Home data back-up service ending  (Read 6992 times)

Eric Kellerman

• Eric Kellerman Photography
CrashPlan for Home data back-up service ending
« on: August 23, 2017, 04:06:08 am »

Code42 are ending their CrashPlan for Home data back-up service, an email informed me today. The process seems to be a long one, as my subscription will end in September next year. As alternatives, two options are suggested: Switching to CrashPlan for Small Business, or to Carbonite, another back-up service.

hokuahi

• Artist, Photographer
    • Exhibition
Re: CrashPlan for Home data back-up service ending
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 09:43:38 am »

Yep.. sucks... Their Small Business plan costs more than double what I'm paying now and Carbonite doesn't support large data backups at any sort of reasonable price . It was good of them to extend out current plans and offer a substantial discount for the first year of the SBP though.

scyth

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 09:51:11 am »

Code42 are ending their CrashPlan for Home data back-up service, an email informed me today. The process seems to be a long one, as my subscription will end in September next year. As alternatives, two options are suggested: Switching to CrashPlan for Small Business, or to Carbonite, another back-up service.

my email states that my subscription will be honored till November 2018 and then there is 75% discount off $10/mo for the next 12 mo... so that will carry me till November 2019...

scyth

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 09:53:44 am »

Yep.. sucks... Their Small Business plan costs more than double what I'm paying now and Carbonite doesn't support large data backups at any sort of reasonable price . It was good of them to extend out current plans and offer a substantial discount for the first year of the SBP though.

there are things like backblaze... not sure why 'd anybody bother with cripplenite

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 12:03:13 pm »

Not happy about this! Been a CrashPlan user for about 4 years. My subscription times out in January of next year so I guess I'll sit tight then move to BackBlaze which from my research seems to be the best option at the best price. Now if BB were to offer me a deal to move today, I might do so. I've only got about 750 Gigs to upload, and BB after running a upload speed test tells me I can upload 139 Gigs a day.

Can anyone tell me why I should jump ship prior to maybe two weeks before my CrashPlan subscription ends?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

scyth

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 12:30:40 pm »

Not happy about this! Been a CrashPlan user for about 4 years. My subscription times out in January of next year so I guess I'll sit tight then move to BackBlaze which from my research seems to be the best option at the best price. Now if BB were to offer me a deal to move today, I might do so. I've only got about 750 Gigs to upload, and BB after running a upload speed test tells me I can upload 139 Gigs a day.

Can anyone tell me why I should jump ship prior to maybe two weeks before my CrashPlan subscription ends?

didn't they offer you a discount for 12 mo after your subscription ends to have more time to decide ? unless you are more than single machine backup and also use local backups

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 12:33:09 pm »

didn't they offer you a discount for 12 mo after your subscription ends to have more time to decide ? unless you are more than single machine backup and also use local backups
They didn't offer me anything thus far. But I did read about the offer. That said, not being happy with their new move, I'm done providing them any further income. If I have to bail and find another provider, I might as well do so when my current subscription ends Jan 2018. As yet, I don't see a compelling reason to make that move until a few weeks prior to that date unless someone can recommended why I would. It's not like CrashPlan will rebate my time left.

hokuahi

• Artist, Photographer
    • Exhibition
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 03:27:52 pm »

there are things like backblaze... not sure why 'd anybody bother with cripplenite

If I was starting over, or only had a small amount of backup, I might consider another vendor. As it is, I have just under 4TB of data backed up and it would take forever to get that up to another server. I'm just gonna stay with CP until my plan expires then switch to the business plan. My data will stay put, no need to re-upload it, and I'll get it for an additional year at pretty much what I'm paying now.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 05:26:02 pm »

That said, not being happy with their new move, I'm done providing them any further income
Expect....  ;D

OK, it was a round about process but I did find a 75% off option for another year plus what I've already got left so I'm good till March 2019. The offer for one device which is all I need came out to $2.50 per month which is a great deal and the migration to the Pro plan went smooth. New software, looks and acts like the old. In 2019, if the price increase to the full plan is too painful, I'll jump ship. For now, those with few devices can migrate to the Pro plan for less money, albeit it an extra year plus whatever you have left in the current plan.

Farmer

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 06:51:08 pm »

OK, it was a round about process but I did find a 75% off option for another year plus what I've already got left so I'm good till March 2019. The offer for one device which is all I need came out to $2.50 per month which is a great deal and the migration to the Pro plan went smooth. New software, looks and acts like the old. In 2019, if the price increase to the full plan is too painful, I'll jump ship. For now, those with few devices can migrate to the Pro plan for less money, albeit it an extra year plus whatever you have left in the current plan.

Yep, that's how I'm going to handle it.  There is a definite cost in time and effort (and risk) to move data elsewhere, and I would need to investigate what services they offer such as HDD for backup or retrieval.  For me, there's the added issue that Crashplan has an Australian server and other providers may not.  That affects data speeds and legal matters regarding data protection and privacy and so on.  The other thing is that Crashplan has been reliable - I've been able to pull data and access it from mobile when needed, not just for restoration.

Phil Brown

RobSuch

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 03:53:06 am »

If switching to the small business option, you can only migrate 5TB. Anything over that and you lose it. I'd check with Crashplan to see how much you have uploaded. In the Crashplan desktop app it says I've uploaded 6+TB, but according to Crashplan only 3.7TB is stored. I didn't lose anything when I switched. Keep in mind the 5TB limit if you're deciding whether to switch now or later, when you might have gone over 5TB.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 03:56:15 am by RobSuch »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 08:43:51 pm »

If switching to the small business option, you can only migrate 5TB.
It's unlimited data. https://www.crashplan.com/en-us/business/features/

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 11:22:45 pm »

It's unlimited data. https://www.crashplan.com/en-us/business/features/

Yes, but you cannot "migrate" backups over 5 TB, so you have to upload from scratch

RobSuch

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 12:45:02 am »

That's not what Crashplan support told me. They will trim the total down to 5TB before migration.

Re: unlimited data. This is just about how much you can migrate (5TB). After migration the uploading continues as before.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 12:49:19 am by RobSuch »

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 04:53:23 am »

That's not what Crashplan support told me. They will trim the total down to 5TB before migration.

Re: unlimited data. This is just about how much you can migrate (5TB). After migration the uploading continues as before.

Good! It was not clear on the support page

RobSuch

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 08:45:12 am »

Here's an extract of the chat with Crashplan support (this was when I thought I'd uploaded more than 5TB):

You can still migrate, but we won’t be able to move the entire archive to the small business platform, we’re only able to transfer 5 TB of data.

So you have two choices really - we can deselect files from the archive and put it through maintenance, and transfer over a portion of that old archive.

Or we can simply start up a new backup. Given the size of your archive, we’d probably want to try to salvage what we can.

What does "deselect files from the archive and put it through maintenance, and transfer over a portion of that old archive" mean?

So the first step would be to tell CrashPlan to stop backing up certain directories.

https://support.crashplan.com/Configuring/Changing_The_File_Selection

We’d need the total file selection to drop below 5 TB of data.

Dinarius

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 01:13:59 pm »

It’s approaching decision time for me, and what appears to be the 5Tb limit for migration to the business plan is a royal pain.

If I had known then...etc.

D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up