Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Flat" images in FrontPage  (Read 3648 times)

dmammana

• http://www.skyscapes.com
"Flat" images in FrontPage
« on: August 28, 2006, 06:22:19 pm »

I use PhotoShop CS2 to process my images, "save to web" as an optimized JPEG usually at around 75 or 80, and use FrontPage 2003 to "insert" the images into my website.

Somehow by the time the images get from PhotoShop to FrontPage they seem to lose most of their "punch"--colors are dull and the images appear flat. I've even tried attaching the ICC profile from PhotoShop, but not much changes.

As I'm sure you do also, I spend a huge amount of time processing images to make them look good, so I'm totally baffled by what's happening. What am I missing here?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

Dennis
Dennis Mammana
www.skyscapes.com

silvergc

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 06:43:14 pm »

If you are using a color space with a large gamut, you can have this problem since web documents have a smaller gamut (makes the pictures appear dull).  I think you will need to change the color space from Adobe RGB (or whatever you are using) to sRGB before you save the pictures.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 09:23:52 am »

"...I spend a huge amount of time processing images."

If you mean color correcting, you may have a calibration/color space mismatch that's in question. What space are these images acquired or captured? sRGB? AdobeRGB? You may be doing more work that what's required if you don't know.

If this isn't the case, then to retain the punched up look you must CONVERT your images to the sRGB space which is the color gamut of the majority of displays and non-color managed image view apps/browsers on the web.

benInMA

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 11:03:25 am »

Here is one gotcha that can occur in web editors like frontpage or galleries.

Check to see if the HTML that is being generated is causing the image to be re-sized in the web output.

This will cause the browser to rescale the image, and it's rescaling algorithm is quite crappy compared to photoshop and will make the image appear to lose it's "pop" and sharpness.

Photoshop CS'es web gallery generator would do this if you had "add size tag" selected.  (Forget what the exact wording was but it was very annoying and took me a while to figure out)
Pages: [1]   Go Up