Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sunrise in Brunei  (Read 2231 times)

shadowblade

Sunrise in Brunei
« on: August 21, 2017, 09:43:43 pm »

Sunrise over Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddin mosque in Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam.

Just right, or too red? Big discrepancy between Photoshop/phone and browser - Photoshop and phone look perfect, both Chrome and Firefox look very red.

Farmer

Re: Sunrise in Brunei
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 09:57:52 pm »

In the office:  This looks quite red on a generic Lenovo LCD, but on a nice Eizo that's been calibrated in IE it looks lovely - not too red - quite golden with hints of red.  Awesome colours - I'd say just right!
Phil Brown

Leszek Piotrowski

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 12:21:35 am »

On my MacB Pro 2017,... looks great.  Warm evening,... Yes golden indeed.
Leszek, G

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 06:42:27 am »

Sunrise over Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddin mosque in Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam.

Just right, or too red? Big discrepancy between Photoshop/phone and browser - Photoshop and phone look perfect, both Chrome and Firefox look very red.
Your picture brings back memories, I realised that it is 20 years and a few months since I was last in Bander and never at dawn.  The friends my wife and I stayed with worked in the oil industry so if I was up at dawn we were miles from Bander in the southwest of Brunei.  We only got to see the mosque in the middle of the day usually in a tropical downpour so I can't comment on how realistic the colours are. :-[

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 07:34:18 am »

Looks great on an iPad, although perhaps just a bit oversaturated.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 07:48:06 am »

It's very colorful, yes, but the hue is good and somehow the saturated colors fit here, for me (seen it on several screens)

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 09:05:32 am »

Your picture brings back memories, I realised that it is 20 years and a few months since I was last in Bander and never at dawn.  The friends my wife and I stayed with worked in the oil industry so if I was up at dawn we were miles from Bander in the southwest of Brunei.  We only got to see the mosque in the middle of the day usually in a tropical downpour so I can't comment on how realistic the colours are. :-[
Looking at it again on my old Nexus 7" it all looks very believable to me, the tropical dawn can be spectacular.

shadowblade

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 08:04:17 am »

Looks good to me in both aRGB and sRGB in Photoshop. Looks good in sRGB on the phone. Looks good in aRGB in both Firefox and Chrome on a wide-gamut display, but very red in sRGB. Yet all the testing sites are telling me my Firefox is being colour-managed properly...

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 08:58:10 am »

Looks good to me in both aRGB and sRGB in Photoshop. Looks good in sRGB on the phone. Looks good in aRGB in both Firefox and Chrome on a wide-gamut display, but very red in sRGB. Yet all the testing sites are telling me my Firefox is being colour-managed properly...
I'm seeing something similar when viewing with Firefox.  On my Nec PA241W wide gamut display the picture looks a bit garish as though it is not being color managed while om my NEC P242W sRGB display it looks ok.  Yet when I test the displays with Ballard's wacked and unwacked images etc firefox passes with flying colours.
Gets more interesting. I opened it in Capture One and the metadata gave the color space as sRGB and then opened it in Photoshop (need to do this directly, doing it using the Capture One Open With command looses the embedded sRGB tag for some reason), the image was then the same on both my screens and between Capture One and Photoshop.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 09:20:33 am by Dave Rosser »

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 11:32:55 am »

I looked at it on chrome and my iphone.  It is a little different yes, but I like it regardless.  Nice looking image.
John
Flickr

shadowblade

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 12:12:59 pm »

I'm seeing something similar when viewing with Firefox.  On my Nec PA241W wide gamut display the picture looks a bit garish as though it is not being color managed while om my NEC P242W sRGB display it looks ok.  Yet when I test the displays with Ballard's wacked and unwacked images etc firefox passes with flying colours.
Gets more interesting. I opened it in Capture One and the metadata gave the color space as sRGB and then opened it in Photoshop (need to do this directly, doing it using the Capture One Open With command looses the embedded sRGB tag for some reason), the image was then the same on both my screens and between Capture One and Photoshop.

Does that indicate that Firefox is not, in fact, 100% colour-aware, perhaps stretching the sRGB gamut to fill whatever colour space the monitor is capable of displaying?

francois

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 01:39:12 pm »

Nice, rich, vibrant, it's a stunning image. There's more than the colors in this shot. Framing is very well chosen.
Bravo!
Francois

Farmer

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 06:56:40 pm »

Does that indicate that Firefox is not, in fact, 100% colour-aware, perhaps stretching the sRGB gamut to fill whatever colour space the monitor is capable of displaying?

That seems like a valid explanation.  It could be colour aware, but assuming a standard gamut monitor?
Phil Brown

Colorado_CJ

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 08:54:21 pm »

Very nice, golden color here!

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 11:24:31 am »

Looks great.
Pages: [1]   Go Up