Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mark Peterson: Photographing the Hate in Charlottesville Up Close  (Read 1161 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com

Mark Peterson: Photographing the Hate in Charlottesville Up Close

© New Republic/photo by Mark Peterson.

The New Republic has published Mark Peterson’s dramatic images of clashes in Charlottesville, Virginia, last weekend between white nationalists at the so-called “Unite the Right” rally, and counter-protesters who showed up to demonstrate against the rising fascist movement. Peterson has covered US politics since the 1990s. We caught up with him to find out why he covered the rally, what he was trying to accomplish, and how he positioned himself to photograph the white nationalist leaders—and the violence—at such close range.

The interview is HERE and the New Republic article is HERE

Good interview and really interesting images...but I suspect this sort of photojournalistic coverage is going to be much more difficult based on the impact of the VICE News documentary. I expect these guys are going to be much more covert and circumspect and difficult to approach. I admire photojournalists skill and nerves to do this sort of stuff. But I'm glad I'm not in the line of fire...the worst I have to worry about shooting in the landscape is the odd scorpion or snake or bear, or horse of black flies!

Tim Lookingbill

Re: Mark Peterson: Photographing the Hate in Charlottesville Up Close
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 02:42:53 am »

Didn't realize a permit allows protestors to bring smoke canisters and pepper spray as part of free speech? I guess the next permit will ensure that protesters don't bring clubs and torches to a gunfight.

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 11:36:32 am »

I think he did a great job of getting there and getting close but I'm not sure I like his post processing so much. That said good work and I suspect work like this isn't done very much any more. In Ye Goode Olde Days in the UK Sunday supplement magazines would publish this sort of essay but not so much these days.

Mike

TommyWeir

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 03:08:46 am »

Clearly can keep a cool head.   Shot the action as well as checking off all the principals.   Good work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up