Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Algonquin in October  (Read 2995 times)

Dan Martin

Algonquin in October
« on: August 28, 2006, 11:08:38 am »

I travelled the Whiskey Rapids trail last winter and was amazed by the natural beauty this park has to offer.

Here are a few highlights from our last trip:

This year I have a return trip planned in the fall, but unfortunately I will only have one day (October 8th) to view the park. I like to take my time on the trails to make sure I soak in as much of the beauty as possible. The snow was quite deep on our last visit so it took us about 4 hours to hike the short Whiskey Rapids trail.

I'm really looking forward to seeing some vibrant colours this year, but I know it's a little late in the season. Does anyone have some suggested trails that shine in the fall?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Algonquin in October
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 02:19:30 pm »

Best short hike to a great vista is Lookout - about 20 minutes to the top.  Looking west so good for sunset.  (take a flashlight).

Obviously don't forget the deck behind the visitors centre.

Centennial Ridges rolls up several "Lookout" vistas as well as some small lakes, but it's likely (at least it was for me) a  whole day hike - but it's probably the most photogenic hike in the park.  

Here's a link with all the trail descriptions.

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/mustrails/daytrails.html

ceezee

Algonquin in October
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 04:26:47 pm »

Actually, I've had the best luck catching fall colors during the first or second week of October, so hopefully you will have great luck in doing so this year.

As far as the trails go, I agree completely with the previous responder. If you have the whole day go for Centennial Ridges.

I love it up there (we do a lot of canoe-camping) and try to go at least once a year for a week or so.

I'm sure it will be beautiful.

Carole
Carole

Dan Martin

Algonquin in October
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 06:21:00 pm »

Thank you both for your excellent advice. I'll be sure to post pics upon my return.

Cheers,

Dan

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Algonquin in October
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 11:25:15 pm »

Traffic in the park slows down somewhat by that time of the year... essentially the park is comprised of three different ecosystems, and they all have their own beauty.  MOST of the visitors to the park use the Hwy 60 route, but (maybe I shouldn't mention it!) there is another access into the park from the northeast side off Achray Road, near Pembroke.  There are some beautiful sights up there, like Barron's Canyon, and you're less likely to meet others...

Mike.

P.S.  While you may go looking for colours, be open to what you see instead!  When I was working on moose research in the park in 1983 I went out for a day with two other photographers - Bill Reynolds (who wrote a book on Algonquin) and a German woman from Toronto.  We went out to shoot pictures of moose, and, surprise, surprise, didn't see a one, so we took macro shots of the lichens and things instead.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 11:26:08 pm by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up