Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gitzo 1327 or 1325?  (Read 6144 times)

Roaring Bearcub

Gitzo 1327 or 1325?
« on: August 28, 2006, 07:34:06 am »

Hello again, people! I asked you previously about your opinions about a tripod for me, and after hearing your opinions decided on getting the Gitzo 1327.

However, having ordered it some time ago already, it has been delayed (as apparently there are none left in Australia), and now I am being told that the factory in Europe will stop construction of these tripods until after the holidays (or something).

I originally chose the 1327 model over the 1325 because they are both the same price, which seems odd to me due to the lack of a centre column with the 1325. The 1327 is apparently also sturdier (when used without column), and I decided that I will buy a Markins/Kirk base plate for ground level work, as well as increasing stability.

However, upon calling Adeal (suppliers of all things Gitzo in Australia), I was told that they have no 1327 models, but they do have one 1325 left. I'm now left wondering - what should I do? Wait for my 1327 and use a base plate, or get the 1325 without a column? I don't really need the column, but decided to get the 1327 as it is the same price. Are there any real disadvantages to using a base plate instead of the colum? I read about this at the Nikonians forum somewhere, where they advocate the use of the Markins plate on a 1327.

Anything else I'm missing? Thanks again for all replies!

francois

Gitzo 1327 or 1325?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 08:00:11 am »

Hello again, people! I asked you previously about your opinions about a tripod for me, and after hearing your opinions decided on getting the Gitzo 1327.

However, having ordered it some time ago already, it has been delayed (as apparently there are none left in Australia), and now I am being told that the factory in Europe will stop construction of these tripods until after the holidays (or something).

I originally chose the 1327 model over the 1325 because they are both the same price, which seems odd to me due to the lack of a centre column with the 1325. The 1327 is apparently also sturdier (when used without column), and I decided that I will buy a Markins/Kirk base plate for ground level work, as well as increasing stability.

However, upon calling Adeal (suppliers of all things Gitzo in Australia), I was told that they have no 1327 models, but they do have one 1325 left. I'm now left wondering - what should I do? Wait for my 1327 and use a base plate, or get the 1325 without a column? I don't really need the column, but decided to get the 1327 as it is the same price. Are there any real disadvantages to using a base plate instead of the colum? I read about this at the Nikonians forum somewhere, where they advocate the use of the Markins plate on a 1327.

Anything else I'm missing? Thanks again for all replies!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74727\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
FWIW, I've been using Gitzo tripods (13xx series) without center column and never felt I was missing it. You must be sure that the tripod is tall enough for you. Small adjustments in height can often be quickly made by spreading the legs a couple of cm apart. Without a center column, the tripod can go really low, the base plate can almost touch the ground (at least on my 1348).
And if you feel the need, you can purchase the center colum separately later although I guess the total cost will be somewhat higher than if you got the 1327.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 08:02:07 am by francois »
Francois

ganton

Gitzo 1327 or 1325?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 02:14:09 am »

Get the 1325 and put the money saved into Markins Titanium Spikes:

http://www.markins.com/2.0/eng/products/accessories/ts.html

Flat plate is much nicer than a center column, unless you like shooting real high and standing on a step stool.

You could get the 1325v, which has spiked feet, but those spikes tend to rust. Mine did from salt water.

You also might want to wait to see if Gitzo announces a 6X carbon 1325 at Photokina 2006 on Sept. 26th.

gryffyn

• http://www.tarafrost.com
Gitzo 1327 or 1325?
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 10:43:31 am »

I have a 1325 and love it.  I'm about 6' dead on, and this tripod will put the camera above my line of sight, so I've never missed the centre post.  I've always thought (like Michael) that a centre post defeats the purpose of using a tripod to some degree, since it makes your rig less stable.

I did mount a Gitzo leveling head on the 1325 though, which is very handy for quick fine tuning of the level of the tripod base.

YMMV of course.

Or as someone else noted, wait a few weeks till Photokina and see if Gitzo comes up with something even more spiffy and new.  Carbon is passe....titanium anyone? ;-)
.....Andrzej
Pages: [1]   Go Up