Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Out of my comfort zone.  (Read 1047 times)

KMRennie

Out of my comfort zone.
« on: August 17, 2017, 03:48:29 pm »

Instead of landscapes I went out insect hunting. Without a macro lens it is a little difficult but enjoyable to chase dragonflies and damselflies around. I was going to title the shot with the insect caught in the web "damsel in distress" unfortunately it isn't a damselfly. Both shots are female darters, a type of dragonfly. a or so it looks like in my "boys bumper book of insects". Nikon D810 Nikon 70-200 f4. Any hints or tips welcome. Ken
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 03:57:07 pm by KMRennie »

RMW

Re: Out of my comfort zone.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 10:21:08 pm »

Hi Ken.
T'is a worthy challenge you gave yourself. And I for one applaud you.
These two fotos may not be the most successful you'll ever make, but they probably can teach you more then a lot of comfortable and safe ones will ever do. At least that's how it is for me almost all the time.
Keep going !
Richard

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 04:01:16 am »

Worthy effort. I assume these are heavily cropped? One option to work with a zoom in close-ups is to use a close-up high quality lens.

KMRennie

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 05:51:48 am »

Yes Paulo cropped the 70-200 has a max ratio of 1:5. I did have a high quality close up lens that allowed 1:1 close ups but this throws up different problems the major one being the new focus range of approx 10cm to 15cm from the front element. Trying to find the insects is the first problem closely followed by a miniscule depth of field. Most of the time, with the close up attachment, you are viewing diffuse coloured patches, auto focus did not work so trying to get within 15cm of a living insect trying to focus on it without it flying away was usually beyond me. Trying to do this and get it with a non confusing background well that will be the real challenge. My companions had D4s, D5, 1Dx, a variety of macro lenses and flash set ups ranging up from ring flashes. They were also award winning wildlife photographers. I will be interested to see their images this time with a tiny bit of knowledge of how difficult it is to get the image sharp never mind good composition, uncluttered background and good lighting. Ken

Don.H

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 02:03:10 am »

Ken, you seem to have a very short working distance with the 70-200 and your close up lens. 

I enjoy shooting small-ish insects using my Nikon 70-300VR and Canon 500D close up lens on a Nikon DX camera.

I get a working distance of about 14" to 19" from the close up lens to subject, and no problem with autofocus in good light, although with a focusable range of only 5" you end up leaning in and out a lot tracking a moving subject like a bee flying between flowers.

I haven't calculated the magnification ratio but the width of subject that fits in a portrait image ranges from about 1.1" at 300mm and 14" working distance to 7" at 70mm and 19" working distance.  Pretty flexible for a relatively inexpensive setup.

Image quality isn't perfect, although I find it works very well for some pretty interesting casual images.

I'll post an example in a new thread.

Don
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 05:20:20 am by Don.H »
Pages: [1]   Go Up