Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ipf8400 print size from sheet film- need to "cheat" by .1 inch  (Read 1162 times)

gchappel

I am trying the different epson legacy paper- and am about to print the profile images to get custom icc profiles made.
The company sent me the images, to be printed 7x10"
I was hoping to print these on the epson sample pack 8.5x11" sheets, instead of off the 24" rolls.
But, my ipf8400 driver/printer limits my print size to 6.9"x 9.9". Which they say will not work, needs to be the actual 7x10".
Is there a way in the driver to squeeze out another 0.1 inch?
I was going to try telling the printer my paper was 8.8x11.5, but thought I should aske here first.
Newby at this, and lots of experience on this board.
Yes I can print it off the roll paper, but printing and shipping the sheets would be easier. 
Thanks
Gary

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: Ipf8400 print size from sheet film- need to "cheat" by .1 inch
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 07:50:56 pm »

Please forgive me for veering off topic on the first reply, but quite frankly I have compared many sample pack media to what comes in rolls and there is almost always a significant difference.  Sample packs are generally made on one of the first production runs, while rolls are usually several production runs older and may even be made at a different fabrication mill.  Sometimes the difference is dramatic.  This also applies to 5 and 10 foot "trial rolls" versus production rolls.

For the best chance of a good profile, print the target on the roll and cut it down.

But if you must use the sheet, try increasing the sheet size by taping any handy flat sheet *across the back* to make your target sheet larger, then offset the print in PS to print only on the desired part.  Make sure no adhesive is exposed and burnish the tape well.  The 8400 needs at least 1.5+ inches of white length to keep a grip on small sheets toward the end of the print.

gchappel

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 10:26:08 pm »

I never thought the papers would be different- thanks for directing me in the correct direction.
I will just print off the roll- thanks
Gary

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 07:24:48 pm »

But, my ipf8400 driver/printer limits my print size to 6.9"x 9.9". Which they say will not work, needs to be the actual 7x10".

I haven’t used a Canon printer for a few years, but i find the size limitations you mentioned a little surprising.  It seems quite odd it cannot print a full 8x10 on a 8.5x11 inch sheet of paper.  Are there some other settings such as border sizes that might need to be looked at in your setups?

stockjock

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 01:59:51 pm »

I am trying the different epson legacy paper- and am about to print the profile images to get custom icc profiles made.
The company sent me the images, to be printed 7x10"
I was hoping to print these on the epson sample pack 8.5x11" sheets, instead of off the 24" rolls.
I was going to try telling the printer my paper was 8.8x11.5, but thought I should aske here first.
Newby at this, and lots of experience on this board.
Yes I can print it off the roll paper, but printing and shipping the sheets would be easier. 
Thanks
Gary

I have an iPF8400 and one of the most irritating limitations is that it requires a minimum of a .9" and .19" top and bottom border.  As far as I know there is no way to print a true 8x10" image on 8.5x11" paper.  If you figure out a workaround please post it.

However, if you are using the Epson Legacy paper on the iPF8400 you can get excellent results using the Canson profiles for the Baryta, Platine, and Rag Photographique papers in the Epson Legacy equivalents.    I don't use the etching paper so I don't know what the Canson equivalent is.

gchappel

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 09:15:13 am »

I have tried the canson profile for the baryta paper- I am really liking this paper.
I am surprised to admit, I first tried the let printer manage color setting.  I have not used that for years, and never on the ipf8400.  At least on the landscape images I printed, they looked marvelous as well. 
I have never tried custom profiles, so will be interested in seeing those differences. 
This may be the nicest paper I have used.
But, once it is framed and hanging- I am not sure I can tell the difference from much cheaper papers- like epson luster, unless I go up and examine it closely.
But it feels wonderful in the hand. 
Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up