Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW Review - Peak Design Leash and Cuff straps  (Read 3927 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
NEW Review - Peak Design Leash and Cuff straps
« on: August 16, 2017, 11:02:22 am »

I just published a review on the NEW Peak Design Leash and Cuff straps.  I am a big advocate of Peak Design straps and use them almost all the time.  They made some really nice additions to these new straps but missed a couple of small things on the Leash.  You can find the REVIEW HERE.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

TommyWeir

Re: NEW Review - Peak Design Leash and Cuff straps
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 11:41:39 am »

Have been debating jumping to the Peak system.  Put a neck strap on my X-T2 once I got the 50-140 and removed my wrist strap, which I now miss when I have my 35 on there.  The Peak System might be the answer.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 12:49:00 pm »

Exactly how I use the straps.  The wrist strap (cuff) is great for street shooting.  The anchor points on all my cameras allow me to change straps quickly when needed.  Also, when the camera is on a tripod I can remove the strap quickly and then I don't have a strap blowing in the wind.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

David S

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 02:06:25 pm »

Peak Design straps work extremely well for me but it is a personal choice.

Dave S

davidlandry

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 02:32:31 pm »

I love the Peak Design capture clip system.  I usually wear a light backpack and carry my Olympus EM-5 on my left shoulder strap and it takes me 2 to 3 seconds to either bring it to my eye in a shooting position or securely put it away one handed.  When not using a backpack I hang it off my belt and use a Pro Pad if I'm using a longer lens (only problem was I lost a lens hood without realizing it when it hanged off my belt without the Pro Pad).  I also keep the Peak Design clutch hand strap on the camera almost all the time.  I love the fit and quick adjustibility of this hand strap.
It certainly is a personal decision. I've gone through many different systems and this one works the best for me especially when hiking and backpacking.

Jeff

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 03:18:58 pm »

With reference to the Cuff, I think I would need to go in a camera shop and try one as I am not convinced.

The thought of my Sony A900 with  the Zeiss 24 - 70mm lens ( both relatively heavy ) dangling & swinging around from a wrist strap scares me somewhat !

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 04:09:56 pm »

Jeff, nothing to be scared about.  This system can handle it. 

Check out the other offerings by Peak Design.  I'm not a big fan of their bags for reasons I'll explain in an upcoming review.  However, there are many people that like the bags.  PD is an innovative company doing some cool things.  Hope they take my suggestion for a shoulder pad seriously.  It would make a huge difference.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Tholcomb

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 11:29:51 am »

A couple of years ago I was walking down a street in Iceland when the manufacturer's strap on my XT1 broke, and I heard camera hit pavement- one of worst sounds a human can experience. A camera store in Reykjavik sold and put on a leash strap from Peak Design. It is great and I bought another for my XT2. I am never going back- to any strap but the Peak Design.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 12:33:00 pm »

Funny you speak about the sound of a camera dropping on concrete.  Well, you never have experienced the real feel until a Phase One camera hits the concrete.  Once was enough.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 05:05:53 pm »

Funny you speak about the sound of a camera dropping on concrete.  Well, you never have experienced the real feel until a Phase One camera hits the concrete.  Once was enough.

Maybe God thinks more of concrete than of cameras?

Rob

jeremyrh

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 12:32:52 pm »

Two words - metal buckles.

Sbarroso

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 05:57:14 am »

I bought time ago the Peak Design Slide in blue (I think it's an older version). I use it for both my Canon 5d mkII and Fuji XT-2 and I'm very happy. I can change quickly the strap from one camera to another, and also adjust very quickly the length (something I do frequently and drive me nuts with the camera manufacturer straps).

I forgot the Slide at home these vacations, so I'm seriously considering to buy a second one exclusively for the Fuji. I like the Slide model because it seats very comfortable on my neck, but packing it attached to the Fuji it's a bit cumbersome.

I'm considering the Slide Little or the Leash, but then I'm afraid of the pressure around my neck, since it distributes the weight in a narrower area. I may have to check for an extra pad. Opinions and suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW, I have two cords on the right side of the Fuji, to use it as a crossed shoulder strap (when desired) without the need of a plate.

Santiago

TommyWeir

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 01:24:43 pm »

I picked up the cuff, works great.  I have anchors on my X-T2 and my Lumix LX100, very handy to swap the cuff over.  The magnet in the strap that enables wrapping it up like a bracelet when you've no camera attached doesn't work for my wrist, but that's a minor complaint.   I'll check out their straps next.
Pages: [1]   Go Up