Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 75/1.5 Biotar — New Version  (Read 174366 times)

Telecaster

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: 75/1.5 Biotar — New Version
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 04:12:18 am »

No doubt a lens with a strong signature.

Telecaster

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 04:22:36 pm »

Yep, a distinctive look for sure. My friend Bruce has a post-WWII version in M42 screwmount. I've been using my Leitz 50/2 Summar a lot lately and oughta borrow the Biotar again. The Summar is also a character lens wide open that performs very well stopped down. Last time I used the Biotar was with a Contax Aria film camera via adapter c. 2002!

-Dave-

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 07:53:09 am »

Interesting and obviously many people do seem to be extremely interested as witnessed by how many have put their hands in their pockets in the form of a pledge.

I love using character lenses. One of my favourite lenses is the Zeiss zm sonnar c 50mm f1.5 which has bags of it. Another favourite is the Leica noctilux but so far I and my wallet have resisted its charms.

That said, I have mixed feelings about this Biotar.  IMO the background of the shot of the young girl in the cap is gorgeous but the swirling bokeh in other shots are just plain weird. This is no doubt a property of the distance between subject, background and content of background over which I often have no control.

My initial thought was to make a pledge but I've listened to my concerns over the bokeh and the uncertainty over price. Nevertheless, as I said, interesting. Never say never.

Price anyone?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 10:18:36 am by KLaban »

Telecaster

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 03:28:53 pm »

I'm not sure if there's a set price for the new 75mm Biotar at this point. Various contribution levels net you various things, from being able to place an early order for the lens to the lens itself to the lens plus perks.

Looks like there'll be a new 58/2 Biotar as well.

The bokeh with the 75 can be subtle or wildly intense depending on aperture, focus distance, distance between subject and background (or foreground) and luminosity range within the frame. Something to be aware of in use, and also something to have fun with if you're so inclined.

The classic Zeiss Sonnars, and close copies & variants thereof, are among my all-time favorite lenses.

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up