Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Workshop - Light Painting with John Hartman  (Read 1981 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
New Workshop - Light Painting with John Hartman
« on: August 14, 2017, 12:40:22 pm »

Today I have published a new workshop for this October at our Indianapolis Gallery and offices.  This will be a fun and intense lighting workshop covering the discipline of light painting.  We have published articles on this topic in the past and it is an amazing technique involving numerous exposures to produce a very unique and standout look to a photograph.  John Hartman who has been a friend of mine since the seventies is a master at this technique.  Plus, he is an incredible teacher.  I hope you consider joining us for a fun and educational four days.

Please check this workshop out.  You can find information HERE or on our Rockhopper Workshops site.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Rob C

Re: New Workshop - Light Painting with John Hartman
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 03:41:17 pm »

That made me smile!

When I was a trainee back in '60, we used to photograph airplane jet engines sitting on end in their factory locations. This work was mostly black/white, shot on 4x5 with slow film - I think it may have been R 10 plates, but it's too long ago to be certain.

The technique was simplicity itself: set the camera up on the tripod, stop the lens way down, and, with a handlamp, just paint the engine with light for about a minute or so; reciprocity failure meant it didn't matter a whole lot... Of course, the factory background was masked off with the ubiquitous roll of white paper which was intentionally further lost in printing. There's not much colour on the exterior of a jet engine anyway, so black/white was perfect. No hard PF 60 flash shadows to confuse the engineers for whom the work was done.

What a shame that digital sensors are so damned fast... that lovely and useful technique couldn't be applied very well today. It was pretty much impossible with normal films like TXP or FP3 too, and for the same reason.

Rob

Peter McLennan

Re: New Workshop - Light Painting with John Hartman
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 08:38:05 pm »

What is it the French say?  "Plus ca change..."
Pages: [1]   Go Up