Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SilverFast Printer Profiling  (Read 2094 times)

saiguy

SilverFast Printer Profiling
« on: August 10, 2017, 05:02:54 pm »

Mac El Capitan, Epson Expression 11k, Epson 3880. I have run the printer profile routine twice, being careful to follow LSI instructions exactly. Both results were the same and both were unusable/bad. It would be a wonderful utility if this function actually worked.

Has anyone used this tool and what is your experience?

CeeVee

Re: SilverFast Printer Profiling
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 11:16:40 am »

Perhaps the profile is being stored somewhere you are not looking?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

saiguy

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 02:38:23 pm »

Thanks CeeVee,

I can clearly call up the named profile in LR print module. I was using Epson Luster paper. Did the 2nd go round for tweaking the profile results. Prints were darkish looking under exposed, and the color was dull.

Perhaps too much to expect from this approach to printer profiling. Just thought if it actually worked well what a simple great tool it would be.

Would like to know if anyone has got results  that are better than the Epson canned profiles.

degrub

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 10:23:41 pm »

Is your monitor profiled and set up for soft proofing ?
What you describe does sound like it is not or the brightness is too high. There are guides here to help with that if that is the case.

saiguy

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 09:49:50 am »

Thanks degrub,

My monitor is calibrated, usually to 80, or sometimes 90 cdm. I see no place for soft proofing or any editing with SF Printer Profiling.

I print the 2 letter size pages of color patches. After 24 hours drying time, you scan them and SF makes a profile from that.

I print am image using the SF profile, then the same image using Epson ICC. There is a huge difference between the 2. Epson looks right and SF is darkish and dull colors.

So I am asking if anyone gets good results with SFPP. If so maybe I'm making a mistake somewhere and would try again.

degrub

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 10:51:47 am »

The other link in the chain is the scanner. Profiled i assume with the same gamma ?
The other possible common question is what is controlling the color or gamma for the print ? the epson driver or the print software  or Apple colorsync ? 
Perhaps two profiles are being applied ?

saiguy

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 01:38:16 pm »

Dear degrub,

Thanks for the continued input. Kind of wishing I hadn't started this tread now. I re-read the SF-PP documentation just now. Tried to go through all the recommended choices for the print dialog. Found at least one that I can not input what they want. And I can only access the choices from LR print module, and not from Prefs>Printer. Think I just give it up altogether. May send a ticket to SF to see if they have a detailed doc for the 3880.

Regarding gamma. The process requires running the Auto IT8 calibration before doing the print profiling.

I am happy with Epson ICC for Luster, my main paper use. Maybe see if DigatalDog can produce a better one for me.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 04:27:25 pm »

They sent me a copy to test, I got just awful results! I think the company makes a fine scanner driver but this product is basically worthless.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

saiguy

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 08:42:05 pm »

Thanks Digitaldog,

Well, now the verdict is in. Even if it did work the hoops involved to print with it are cumbersome. All their example workflows reference very low end consumer printers. The 4 color ones.

I love SilverFast 8 Ai. Go figure why they would put out a "basically worthless" tool, charge $100 for it, and tarnish an otherwise stellar reputation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up