Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 computers, 2 catalogs, need to copy catalog settings from one to the other  (Read 1503 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com

I have a field computer and a main studio computer. Out in the field I download the cards and in PhotoMechanic5 add metadata (renaming, keywords, caption info) and then import into Lightroom add flags and star ratings based on either personal or client input as we do a quick review on the field computer. The catalog is on the field computers internal drive and the library for the shoot is stored on an external drive.
When I get back to the studio office, I want to transfer the images to my main storage array and backups, along with the metadata and catalog info I have already created.
What is the best and if different, the most efficient way to do this?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 11:31:14 am by Ellis Vener »

john beardsworth

• My photography site

It often comes down to how frequently you switch between the different environments. If you do so daily, for example, the easiest way is to keep the main catalogue on an external drive, or perhaps on Dropbox or similar service, and open it on whichever computer you're using.

But if it's less frequent, and client confidentiality is an issue (it sounds like this is your situation), then you're more likely to find that the best route is to open the main catalogue on the studio computer and then use File > Import from Another Catalog, which imports the catalogue from the field computer. This method (unlike reliance on xmp files) brings all the work into the main catalogue, and you can choose whether to move the images to the storage array or leave them on the external drive, if you're heading back to the client.

Ellis Vener

Thanks John,

That makes sense. i take that I'll need to physically connect the two computers via thunderbolt.   Can I do it with only a section of the catalog that covers only that day's work or when necessary a multi-day project?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 11:36:51 am by Ellis Vener »

john beardsworth

• My photography site

Yes, some sort of physical connection is needed, though it might be easier to copy the project's catalogue from the laptop to the external drive, and connect the later to the studio computer. The Import from Another Catalogue (IAC) dialog box shows you individual folders in the catalogue that is being imported, so you can choose them individually if you want.

You'll need to experiment a bit because there are different things you can do in different circumstances. For example, on a multi-day project you might keep importing everything because IAC is smart enough to recognise it's already imported some pictures - it just imports more recent edits and metadata. You'll also have to be careful about which master files are being shown in the catalogue, ie the ones on the hard drive or on the array - just right click a folder and choose Update Folder Location to point the catalogue to one or the other.

Ellis Vener

Thanks again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up