Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zeiss Milvus 35mm f/1.4 : Almost an Otus  (Read 113461 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Zeiss Milvus 35mm f/1.4 : Almost an Otus
« on: August 07, 2017, 04:17:49 pm »

The Zeiss Milvus 35mm f/1.4 is not an Otus, but it is as close to one as I have seen a less expensive lens come. And it fills a gap in lenses that, as a close-up photographer, I need, although I have other 35mm lenses, but I don’t “like” them. Is it sharp? Yes, it is sharp, not ultra-ultra sharp, but sharp enough to pass the “sharp” test with me, easily. It does not distract me for lack of sharpness.

The color is good. There is some very, very minor fringing, I believe, but not enough for me not to use the lens. I am not so concerned with traditional one-off photos, but more in how the lens will stack. It stacks well for a wide-angle. Does it take extension? Yes, it takes the K1-Ring, 5.8mm of extension... pretty well, which is good for a wider-angle lens. It has 9 rounded blades.

The close range is 11.81 inches (30 cm), which is excellent. The filter is 72 mm. It is manual focus, which is all I use anyway. It has an ample focus-throw, which is wonderful, since many wide-angle lenses have a short focus-throw. According to all sources, this is a brand-new lens design, not the warmed-over of previous Zeiss lenses, and it shows. This is something new, a high-point for Zeiss with lower-priced lenses.

The only fault I have found so far (and it can be anticipated) is that it does not do super-well with highlights and light areas. It’s OK, and I can work around it, but the highlights seem to wash out a little early IMO.

I order, but send many lenses back. I believe I will keep this one.

Nikon D810, Zeiss Milvus 35mm f/1.4
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 03:16:15 am by Michael Erlewine »
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Zeiss Milvus 35mm f/1.4 : Almost an Otus
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 03:58:34 am »

Wonderful photo. With the recent buzz from Zeiss being from the E mount line (Loxia, Batis), one tends to forget the update they did with the EF and ZF.2 mounts. More on the Milvus 35 here:

http://lenspire.zeiss.com/en/

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 04:15:30 am »

Wonderful photo. With the recent buzz from Zeiss being from the E mount line (Loxia, Batis), one tends to forget the update they did with the EF and ZF.2 mounts. More on the Milvus 35 here:

The new Milvus 35mm is not an update, but a new design.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 09:28:58 am »

The new Milvus 35mm is not an update, but a new design.

Can we say it was updated with a new design:)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 09:35:01 am »

Can we say it was updated with a new design:)

Of course, you can say what you wish. It is a new design and remarkably different from the earlier lenses in that series or similar. That's my point. Try it and THEN tell me what you want to call it.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 11:00:21 am »

Just continuing to get to know the Zeiss Milvus 35mm f/1.4, this new design. What a great compromise between the price and weight of the Otus lenses and this Milvus 35mm. This is more APO than not, and sharper than I demand for comfort. As they say around here, “It’s all good!”

And no, that's not purple fringing around the edge of the flower. That's the flower. LOL.
With the Nikon D810

Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 12:07:29 pm »

Of course, you can say what you wish. It is a new design and remarkably different from the earlier lenses in that series or similar. That's my point. Try it and THEN tell me what you want to call it.

Geez, I was actually praising the lens, in case you missed the link I posted before... I can't see a bigger update than a new design!

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 12:40:09 pm »

Geez, I was actually praising the lens, in case you missed the link I posted before... I can't see a bigger update than a new design!

Agreed!

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 10:43:08 am »

I order, but send many lenses back. I believe I will keep this one.

i very much like the rendering of this image- is it one shot?

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 11:00:15 am »

i very much like the rendering of this image- is it one shot?

One shot

NancyP

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 12:20:55 pm »

We should praise the skills of Michael the gardener, getting enough flowers without bug damage.  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up