Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: sale on Canon PRO  (Read 4738 times)

howardm

sale on Canon PRO
« on: August 05, 2017, 09:18:33 am »

got this email from Shades. 

Canon has some really great printer deals this month. These are while supplies last so don't wait!!

Pro 2000 24"- $1700
Pro 4000 44"- $3400
Pro 6000 60"- $8800
Pro 4000s 44"- $3300
Pro 6000s 60"- $7100

Disclaimer:  I have no financial interest in this.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: sale on Canon PRO
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 09:33:29 am »

Be careful: when you go to the website you will see there are two versions for example of the Pro-2000. They have different model numbers and different shipping weight, by 100 pounds. One of them is indeed 1700, but the heavier one is 3416. I wonder whether the cheaper one omits the dual roll holder unit and ships with less ink. Shades of paper does not have a "what's in the box" tab to tell people exactly what they are getting. I would question whether there is as much of a "free lunch" here as one may be initially induced to believe. So, are they really giving a 50% discount on the 400 pound version?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

howardm

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 09:39:30 am »

Since they are regular 'readers' of LuLa, I would expect someone from Shades to clarify.

Or at least, interested parties should drop an email/phone on them and inquire.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 09:48:12 am »

For sure, I would expect so too.

stockjock

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 02:28:24 pm »

First of all, Shades of Paper is a reputable seller of papers, inks and printers.  I have dealt with them repeatedly for nearly 3 years with no problems at all.

Secondly, of course the Canon Pro-2000 that is on sale doesn't come with the Dual Roll Holder.  That is a very expensive option in its own right.  There was a promotion last March that included the dual roll holder and an extra set of ink for the Canon Pro-4000 but I don't recall the pricing or whether it also applied to the Pro-2000.

Finally, there is no indication that the inks that come with the Pro-2000 vary from model to model.  The printer comes with 160 ml starter inks which was true of the iPF6400 also if I remember correctly.

Mark is simply stirring up doubt and confusion where there should be none.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 03:40:49 pm »

Wrong. I'm recommending to verify what comes in the box before buying, given that there are two versions with no "What's In the Box" description on the vendor's website. I think this is perfectly reasonable advice, so you should just keep your unfounded inferences about other peoples' motivations out of this - we don't need that kind of crap being thrown round from behind the curtain of a screen-name on this Forum. (typo fixed)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 03:58:14 pm by Mark D Segal »

stockjock

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 03:56:02 pm »

The two printers are clearly differentiated on Shades of Papers site.  One is listed as having the Dual Roll and the other isn't.

My inference is that you have never seen a post that you don't want to respond to.  Often you do so with excellent information and other times simply to be posting.  Your post this time clearly falls into the second category.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 04:08:24 pm »

The two printers are clearly differentiated on Shades of Papers site.  One is listed as having the Dual Roll and the other isn't.

My inference is that you have never seen a post that you don't want to respond to.  Often you do so with excellent information and other times simply to be posting.  Your post this time clearly falls into the second category.

Actually, the descriptions I compared on their website this morning for both versions included the dual roll, hence the uncertainty. I respond to a small fraction of the topics on this Forum and when I so it is because I think I have something to contribute that others may find helpful; your mud-slinging adds nothing to the usefulness of the discussion, so my inference to you is that you should stop making insulting and foolish inferences from behind the shield of a screen name here; this is a place for serious people.

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 06:15:37 pm »

Does anyone know if the sale is across all resellers or just this one? I have an order in with Canon Solutions which is pending delivery. Wonder if they would honor a price drop after I've paid but before I've taken receipt.

gdi

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 07:40:46 pm »

For reference - I bought one a couple of months ago for $3999 with a free 2nd roll unit, $300 rebate, and free extra full set of inks. 

This Shades deal seems better than other vendors right now, from what I can tell...

traderjay

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 11:36:12 pm »

First of all, Shades of Paper is a reputable seller of papers, inks and printers.  I have dealt with them repeatedly for nearly 3 years with no problems at all.

Secondly, of course the Canon Pro-2000 that is on sale doesn't come with the Dual Roll Holder.  That is a very expensive option in its own right.  There was a promotion last March that included the dual roll holder and an extra set of ink for the Canon Pro-4000 but I don't recall the pricing or whether it also applied to the Pro-2000.

Finally, there is no indication that the inks that come with the Pro-2000 vary from model to model.  The printer comes with 160 ml starter inks which was true of the iPF6400 also if I remember correctly.

This is a printer and printing forum for goodness sake. Why can't people act in an adult manner? We are really fortunate to have veterans like Mark et. al contribute regularly here sharing their knowledge of the art and industry. Do you even know who Mark Segal is? He is using his real name (unlike you) so definitely not hiding behind a curtain of screen-name as implied by you.

Mark did not imply that shades is not reputable but just urges buyers to double check the info posted so as not to purchase a wrong item that is hard to return/exchange. Vendors make mistake ALL the time on promotions and web info.

rasworth

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 09:37:11 am »

traderjay,

I'm sure several of us share your opinion; however, Mark can take care of himself, and in my experience the best approach for this type of situation is to NOT jump in, click on the "Report to Moderator" if you feel strongly about the issue.  Piling on tends to prolong the unpleasantness.

Richard Southworth

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 11:09:15 am »

I emailed my CSP rep and even though I'd already signed the purchase agreement they went ahead and honored the $300 price drop. Never hurts to ask! Too bad they aren't still offering the second roller although in practice I'm not sure how much I'd end up using it. -Ryan

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 12:21:27 pm »

I emailed my CSP rep and even though I'd already signed the purchase agreement they went ahead and honored the $300 price drop. Never hurts to ask! Too bad they aren't still offering the second roller although in practice I'm not sure how much I'd end up using it. -Ryan

When I was working on my review of the Pro-2000 I found the second roll holder useful for two primary purposes: (i) it can be used to take up the print being made from the upper roll holder, and (ii) switching between different types of paper, as I was doing for that review, is more efficient because the alternative paper is ready "on tap". Now that said, the paper "catcher" can be adjusted to five different positions, and if you're not switching between the same two papers frequently enough, I can see it being readily feasible to do without the second roll holder. Nonetheless, a nice feature and a nice piece of design.

stockjock

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 02:41:02 pm »

I have been registered on this site since August 2, 2004, exactly 4 day less time than Mark Segal.  I am not hiding behind a user name, that was the standard during the registration at that time.  I found it offensive that Mark was impugning Shades of Paper's intent and reputation and I decided to correct his misinformation.  The Canon large format printers are excellent and that pricing is a good opportunity for somebody that was looking to buy a printer.  I'm happy with my Canon iPF8400 so I don't fall into that category.   I have read many posts where Mark is admonishing posters or adopting a position of moral authority.  I decided to call him out on this particularly blatant instance.  I also acknowledged that Mark has contributed a lot of excellent information to this forum and I would add that on balance he does more good than bad and I would be sorry if he decided to stop contributing. 

Hopefully, this puts this smoldering flame war to bed.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 03:34:17 pm »

I have been registered on this site since August 2, 2004, exactly 4 day less time than Mark Segal.  I am not hiding behind a user name, that was the standard during the registration at that time.  I found it offensive that Mark was impugning Shades of Paper's intent and reputation and I decided to correct his misinformation.  The Canon large format printers are excellent and that pricing is a good opportunity for somebody that was looking to buy a printer.  I'm happy with my Canon iPF8400 so I don't fall into that category.   I have read many posts where Mark is admonishing posters or adopting a position of moral authority.  I decided to call him out on this particularly blatant instance.  I also acknowledged that Mark has contributed a lot of excellent information to this forum and I would add that on balance he does more good than bad and I would be sorry if he decided to stop contributing. 

Hopefully, this puts this smoldering flame war to bed.

If you aren't hiding behind a screen-name, tell us who you are and what moral authority you have to sit in judgment and opine in public whether I admonish posters or adopt positions of moral authority. It's just rubbish. Sure, periodically I may come down a bit hard on the kind of crap you're dishing out, so please be advised that as circumstances warrant I shall, without compunction, continue to do so. As far as I'm concerned, there is no free-pass on nasty personal attacks that break-out on this Forum with increasing frequency these days. As for the issue of screen names - there are perfectly fine contributors who write-in useful stuff behind a screen name, and there are others who use it to sling mud from behind the shield. The latter are particularly obnoxious and if you ask me I would like to see screen names discontinued here altogether. It would make the Forum a saner place. But that's another talk-show.

For the record, if it needs to be said at all, I didn't have and I do not have any issue with Shades of Paper as a company. They reside in the US, I reside in Canada, so it doesn't pay for me to shop there due to shipping and clearance costs; that said, I've heard nothing but good things about them and have no reason to doubt they are a fine company. That pricing looked really fantastic so I visited their site to have a closer look at this deal and I found the information unclear in respect of what differs between the two offers of the Pro-2000 (a printer which I reviewed on this website). This can easily happen with the best will in the world, so I thought it useful to advise readers to be sure they know exactly what they're buying; I expect that not everyone understands that the second roll holder is an option. It really is as simple as that and for you to imply that I'm trying to impugn the reputation of the seller is just unwarranted total nonsense.

You started the flame war - and it belongs to you. You can put it to bed by apologizing for misunderstanding and misrepresenting my intent here, not by inflaming it further with more insults as you did above. You can't in the same breath fan a flame war and put it to bed. All you do is make the bed burn. Or, if you just let all this pass into the ether by posting nothing more on this topic it would also serve the purpose perfectly fine. 

stockjock

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 03:39:29 pm »

If you aren't hiding behind a screen-name, tell us who you are and what moral authority you have to sit in judgment and opine in public whether I admonish posters or adopt positions of moral authority. It's just rubbish. Sure, periodically I may come down a bit hard on the kind of crap you're dishing out, so please be advised that as circumstances warrant I shall, without compunction, continue to do so. As far as I'm concerned, there is no free-pass on nasty personal attacks that break-out on this Forum with increasing frequency these days. As for the issue of screen names - there are perfectly fine contributors who write-in useful stuff behind a screen name, and there are others who use it to sling mud from behind the shield. The latter are particularly obnoxious and if you ask me I would like to see screen names discontinued here altogether. It would make the Forum a saner place. But that's another talk-show.

For the record, if it needs to be said at all, I didn't have and I do not have any issue with Shades of Paper as a company. They reside in the US, I reside in Canada, so it doesn't pay for me to shop there due to shipping and clearance costs; that said, I've heard nothing but good things about them and have no reason to doubt they are a fine company. That pricing looked really fantastic so I visited their site to have a closer look at this deal and I found the information unclear in respect of what differs between the two offers of the Pro-2000 (a printer which I reviewed on this website). This can easily happen with the best will in the world, so I thought it useful to advise readers to be sure they know exactly what they're buying; I expect that not everyone understands that the second roll holder is an option. It really is as simple as that and for you to imply that I'm trying to impugn the reputation of the seller is just unwarranted total nonsense.

You started the flame war - and it belongs to you. You can put it to bed by apologizing for misunderstanding and misrepresenting my intent here, not by inflaming it further with more insults as you did above. You can't in the same breath fan a flame war and put it to bed. All you do is make the bed burn. Or, if you just let all this pass into the ether by posting nothing more on this topic it would also serve the purpose perfectly fine.

This post is sufficient indictment of why I find so many of your posts on here offensive.  I have no desire to engage with you further. 

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 03:50:24 pm »

Thank goodness.

mearussi

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 07:48:49 am »

When I was working on my review of the Pro-2000 I found the second roll holder useful for two primary purposes: (i) it can be used to take up the print being made from the upper roll holder, and (ii) switching between different types of paper, as I was doing for that review, is more efficient because the alternative paper is ready "on tap". Now that said, the paper "catcher" can be adjusted to five different positions, and if you're not switching between the same two papers frequently enough, I can see it being readily feasible to do without the second roll holder. Nonetheless, a nice feature and a nice piece of design.
Now if it could also be used as a D roller to flatten out the curl then it would be perfect. :)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 07:56:01 am »

Now if it could also be used as a D roller to flatten out the curl then it would be perfect. :)

Ya know, that's a darn neat idea. You should run it by Canon Tech support! Could be a way of getting it to that maybe?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up