Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson legacy paper on canon ipf8400  (Read 1551 times)

gchappel

Epson legacy paper on canon ipf8400
« on: August 03, 2017, 09:11:10 pm »

I am looking at trying several of the epson legacy papers on my canon ipf8400.
Are profiles available anywhere?  Will the canson profiles for the similar papers work?
Anyone tried it?
I did try the search engine here, as well as Dr Google and have not found a specific answer.
Any experience here with the canon printers?
Thanks
Gary
Lots of questions- lots to learn.  Thanks

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Epson legacy paper on canon ipf8400
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 09:19:53 pm »

It's worthwhile testing the Canson profiles for similar papers to see whether they would satisfy your requirements. Use a good printer test image for this.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Landscapes

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 10:12:15 pm »

As Mark says, nothing wrong with trying.  I personally just use the Auto settings for the paper type and am getting very pleasing colors.  (shadows might be a bit dark)

If the legacy paper is something like a luster or semi-matte, I read that there are all formulated quite similarly.  You could therefore try profiles for Canon papers, or even profiles from Breathing color or other paper manufactures for similar types.  I did this when trying to find a profile for metallic papers and ended up just trying all the different profiles available for several of the different versions of the paper from different vendors.

With matte papers, since the ink absorbs, I think it gets a little more tricky.  This is all just a hunch, and someone who actually makes profiles could comment more, but this is my feeling.

Nothing wrong with trying different profiles though and comparing.

I use Epson papers exclusively on my iPF6400.  The Epson line of papers are very easy to get and have rebates all the time, so its a no brainer.  The only thing I did get a custom profile for was the Epson Matte Canvas after I coated it with Timeless from BC.  No way to take shortcuts here.  I'm even shocked they make profiles available for Canvas when you consider that is has to be coated and this really changes the final colors.

Tlaroccia

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 11:14:48 pm »

we can do custom profiles at no charge of media is purchased through pdgvip

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Tlaroccia

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 11:16:14 pm »

"IF media is purchased" ....we do it all the time

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

stockjock

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 12:04:16 am »

I use the Canson profiles on the iPF8400 for the Epson Legacy papers and I can't see any difference between the two products.  I realize there are some here that suggest there may be coating differences or minor differences in the readings with a spectrophotometer but for my purposes the papers might as well be identical and the Canson profiles work very well. 

I do agree with Landscapes that the Canon printers do a surprisingly good job with third party papers without a profile simply by choosing the correct media type and either letting the printer manage colors or using a Canon equivalent profile.  In fact I find letting the printer manage colors often results in better results with Breathing Color or Red River papers compared to using the profiles they supply.  But in general the Canson profiles are excellent and simply use the Canson equivalent profile with the Epson Legacy papers and I think you will get very good results with your iPF8400.

gchappel

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 06:33:03 am »

Thanks everyone. 
I need to make a paper order, and thought I would try the different legacy papers with the rebate.
I just wanted to confirm I could get close.
Lots of experience shared on this site.
Thanks again
Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up