Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New tilt-shifts on the way  (Read 512890 times)

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
Re: New tilt-shifts on the way
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2017, 01:33:35 pm »

Great to see new TSEs!  It'll be interesting to see the price/outer image circle performance balance on these. 

The 135 is surprising - I still wish someone would come out with a new 35mm though.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2017, 01:59:17 am »

Interesting options indeed.

Cheers,
Bernard

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2017, 09:57:19 am »

My complements to Canon!
They now have the best serie of TS lenses of any system.
Only the 19mm PCE on Nikon side will be better and you can use that on a Canon as well ( fixed aperture as i understand)
and these lenses are missing in MF where they are most needed.
It is a pity Zeiss did not make any TS lenses for full frame.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

marc aurel

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2017, 10:23:07 am »

MTF charts for the new TS-Es, and old ones for comparison. From the Canon Hognkong website (http://www.canon.com.hk/en/product/catalog/productitem.do?categoryID=25&seriesID=49).
Of course as always with Canon - computed. And for the TS-Es one would really like to see the shifted image area. But for a first orientation...

shadowblade

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2017, 10:33:40 am »

MTF charts for the new TS-Es, and old ones for comparison. From the Canon Hognkong website (http://www.canon.com.hk/en/product/catalog/productitem.do?categoryID=25&seriesID=49).
Of course as always with Canon - computed. And for the TS-Es one would really like to see the shifted image area. But for a first orientation...

Hoping for a tilt-shift shootout and MTF comparison by Lensrentals. Including the shifted area, of course - that's the whole point of buying a tilt-shit.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2017, 10:42:19 am »

Hoping for a tilt-shift shootout and MTF comparison by Lensrentals. Including the shifted area, of course - that's the whole point of buying a tilt-shit.
I am sure the 90 and 135mm will do fine shifted -since the 85mm PCE still does fine and is 10 years old and even the 90mm did OK)
The 50mm is the only question
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Harold Clark

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2017, 11:33:18 am »

It is good to see some new/updated TS lenses, but I am disappointed that Canon still has no 35mm TS. I had a 35mm TS in FD mount in the film days and it was an excellent performer. A 35mm would fill the gap nicely between 24mm and 50 mm.

shadowblade

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2017, 12:14:01 pm »

It is good to see some new/updated TS lenses, but I am disappointed that Canon still has no 35mm TS. I had a 35mm TS in FD mount in the film days and it was an excellent performer. A 35mm would fill the gap nicely between 24mm and 50 mm.

A 24mm with 1.4x TC is practically a 35mm.

More often than not, you're also not using the very edges of the 24mm image circle, so, corner-to-corner when shifted, the 24mm/1.4x TC combo is often actually sharper than the 24mm tilt-shift alone. Worse centre, but better corners, so generally better for landscapes and other subjects requiring across-the-frame sharpness.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2017, 07:42:05 pm »

I sort of wish the 90 and 135 had more than 12mm of movement.

Other than that, they are going to fill some needs for me.
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2017, 08:05:28 pm »

I sort of wish the 90 and 135 had more than 12mm of movement.

Other than that, they are going to fill some needs for me.

12 mm at those longer focal lengths, is more effective than it is at shorter focal lengths.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

marc aurel

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2017, 03:24:54 am »

12 mm at those longer focal lengths, is more effective than it is at shorter focal lengths.

Cheers,
Bart

Hi Bart,
12mm is half of the image height, no matter what focal length. So I don't understand what you refer to when you say "more effective".
I agree with Andrew - for longer focal lengths I would prefer more shift than 12mm - for details of facades for example. For shorter focal lengths 12mm is plenty for my needs.
Regards - Marc

NancyP

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2017, 11:18:40 am »

These lenses look perfect for still life close-up and macro photographers (of products, food, flowers, etc) using tripods. There might be a large learning curve for the insect photographers who shoot hand-held with flash.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2017, 11:45:43 am »

...There might be a large learning curve for the insect photographers who shoot hand-held with flash.

+ focus stacking can only be done manually- an advantage for AF
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Harold Clark

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2017, 10:51:23 am »

A 24mm with 1.4x TC is practically a 35mm.

More often than not, you're also not using the very edges of the 24mm image circle, so, corner-to-corner when shifted, the 24mm/1.4x TC combo is often actually sharper than the 24mm tilt-shift alone. Worse centre, but better corners, so generally better for landscapes and other subjects requiring across-the-frame sharpness.

Thanks for pointing that out, it is worth investigating.

Shiftworker

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2017, 04:12:31 am »

I've been waiting for the 50mm for over a decade and now it's here I'm not so sure a macro lens will be optimal for flat field at infinity for architecture and landscape (will await real world tests) and also I've just seen the pre-order prices here in the UK which are significantly more than the 17 and 24mm - ouch!

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2017, 05:25:30 am »

I've been waiting for the 50mm for over a decade and now it's here I'm not so sure a macro lens will be optimal for flat field at infinity for architecture and landscape (will await real world tests) and also I've just seen the pre-order prices here in the UK which are significantly more than the 17 and 24mm - ouch!
a 50mm f2.8 MF lens... would cost less... It must+should be stellar.
Yes a flat field is one of the worries... but it should have it considering the audience.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up