Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Roadrags, Fast Flags, or...Photographer ISO portable flag/scrim solution...:)  (Read 2558 times)

StoryinPictures

I'm looking for a portable scrim and flag solution. I know these are not as stable or strong as regular flags. I know they aren't as cheap as foamcore. :)

The two best answers I have found are Roadrags II and Fast Flags 24"x36".

I would appreciate any experiences, insights or suggestions.

I'm also curious if anyone who has experience with both knows if the cloth parts (nets, flags, diffusers, etc.) are interchangeable between brands.

calindustries

• http://www.craiglacourt.com

Although I like the corner post placement on fast flags (and the several other brands that are all the same thing) they are not nearly as stable and robust of a design as the road rags. If you need just something to hold a scrim/net in a rough position and not exact, the fast flags do an ok job for a much cheaper price point than the road rags, but if you want more precise control of your modifiers, the road rags will work more closely to proper flags. I have yet to try the Matthews Road Flags but they look even better and a more portable option compared to the standard 4x4 frames I own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StoryinPictures

Although I like the corner post placement on fast flags (and the several other brands that are all the same thing) they are not nearly as stable and robust of a design as the road rags. If you need just something to hold a scrim/net in a rough position and not exact, the fast flags do an ok job for a much cheaper price point than the road rags, but if you want more precise control of your modifiers, the road rags will work more closely to proper flags. I have yet to try the Matthews Road Flags but they look even better and a more portable option compared to the standard 4x4 frames I own.

Thank you for the helpful response.

By precise, do you mean that the material is loose and the edge isn't precise or that the lack of frame stability means flexing in the frame makes it imprecise or some other reason?

calindustries

• http://www.craiglacourt.com

the way the frame locks out doesn't alaways stay taught with fast flags. there is not spring/sturdiness in the design. The way Road Rags frames work is more like a modern camping tent in so much as there is a springiness that the flag material is stretched tightly and doesn't flop around or get loose.

StoryinPictures

Thank you for the clear explanation. Much appreciated.

Pages: [1]   Go Up