Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loading Cut Sheet Media Epson P5000 VS P800  (Read 2293 times)

kuau

Loading Cut Sheet Media Epson P5000 VS P800
« on: August 01, 2017, 02:51:27 pm »

In regards to loading 17x22 Cut Sheet Media, is the P5000 a pita compared to loading cut sheet media in a P800?
Thanks

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Loading Cut Sheet Media Epson P5000 VS P800
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 03:17:42 pm »

In regards to loading 17x22 Cut Sheet Media, is the P5000 a pita compared to loading cut sheet media in a P800?
Thanks

No.

And it's not much of a PITA in the P800 either if you load from the back rather than the front. That said, there remains the difference in the number of steps involved:

SC-P5000: put the sheet into the feeder and press down till it stops, then push the "down" section of the "joystick". You're done (same as it was for the 4900).
SC-P800: Open the gray tray; wait till it prepares to let you insert the sheet; insert the sheet preferably from the back by opening the roll paper slot; push through and align the sheet to the front ridge of the grey tray; push the LOAD button in the LCD; stand there and wait till it loads and verifies for skew; when allowed, push the gray tray inward till it locks back in its resting position. You're done.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

kuau

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 03:22:45 pm »

Thanks for the information Mark.
My local Epson dealer has a P5000 floor demo for a good price and was going to purchase it, though I just wanted to make sure loading 17X22 sheets was not going to be a pain.... What I like about the P5000 at the price I can get one for is 2 more colors and larger ink carts...

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 03:49:43 pm »

Yes, all else equal the two additional colours will give you larger gamut (not needed on every photo but useful for some) and the size of the cartridges reduces cost per ML of ink very considerably. Note, however, that this printer is built like a tank and designated as a "production" printer, meaning it is meant to be used frequently. If you are only making prints at somewhat long intervals between printing sessions (like more than a few days or a week apart) you'll have a more satisfactory maintenance experience with a P-800.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 04:08:22 pm »

From what I found out from our G7 certified rep is that unless you're printing from CMYK or ProPhotoRGB formats, you will almost NOT see any Orange or Green used regardless of the colors in the image.  The colors will be used during cleaning which is why you'll see the levels go down, but not used in RGB format.

Also, what Mark stated is also true on printing usage to choose which model would be best for your purpose.
Depending on the type of 17x22 paper you print on, both will work fairly well.  The feeding in the P5000 is fairly nice though as you put the sheet in and have it read the paper before it takes it to print on.  The P800 will sit in the feeder and accept once the printer starts the printing.  If it's fine art on the P800, you have to make sure it's loaded correctly so the printer can read and accept to print.  I haven't done fine art sheets on the P5000 to say for sure yet, but the feeding process is much easier on it than it was on the 4900.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 04:27:16 pm »

From what I found out from our G7 certified rep is that unless you're printing from CMYK or ProPhotoRGB formats, you will almost NOT see any Orange or Green used regardless of the colors in the image.  The colors will be used during cleaning which is why you'll see the levels go down, but not used in RGB format.

Also, what Mark stated is also true on printing usage to choose which model would be best for your purpose.
Depending on the type of 17x22 paper you print on, both will work fairly well.  The feeding in the P5000 is fairly nice though as you put the sheet in and have it read the paper before it takes it to print on.  The P800 will sit in the feeder and accept once the printer starts the printing.  If it's fine art on the P800, you have to make sure it's loaded correctly so the printer can read and accept to print.  I haven't done fine art sheets on the P5000 to say for sure yet, but the feeding process is much easier on it than it was on the 4900.

A couple of clarifications are in order here:

Firstly, the SCP5000 does use Orange and Green ink for prints in various working spaces, but not much. For example, my printer/profile verification test chart is in Lab space and it does use small amounts of Orange and Green, but less than the other colours. They are the last cartridges to be emptied, but they get used.

Secondly, for the P800, if you are using the top feed, you drop the sheet into it, so it can only know whether it feeds itself properly once it needs to pull the paper through for printing; however, I have hardly had misfeeds from this loading mechanism. When using the Front Fine Art feed, yes, you know before you do any printing whether it is skewed or not. 

kuau

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 06:17:08 pm »

Thanks everyone for your input. I pulled the trigger on the P5000 open box. It Will be delivered next week. I just couldn’t pass up on the deal I’m getting.
My main paper will be Epson Legacy Baryta 17x22 sheets and also 17”roll.

Question for proofing purposes what would be a good lower cost paper that has similar gamut to the Legacy Batyta so I don’t have to burn through $5.00 a sheet to get the color I am look8ng for..

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 07:26:30 pm »

Ilford Gold Fibre Silk would be close.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 05:11:43 pm »

Thanks
Depends on the media.  Epson glossy/luster type media, you just put a stack in the bottom tray on the p5000.  handles it just fine.

If it’s a little thicker and can’t handle that tray. you open the manual feed slot.  Sometimes you have to “help” the paper start to feed. I”ve used the manual feed slot for Legacy Baryta without any problems, although I think they recommend you use the front tray.

Once it gets to pretty thick media, then neither machine is terribly efficient, but both can load the media reliably.  Mark’s recommendation on that works great.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 05:15:09 pm by Wayne Fox »

kuau

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 05:38:16 pm »

Wayne,

I am a little confused are you loading Epson Legacy Baryta  cut sheets through the Rear Manual Feeder or the Front Manual Feeder?

Thanks

kuau

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 05:55:07 pm »

Forgot to ask. I am looking for a table / printer stand and Epson says the printer is 34" wide and 30"deep
Does the table need to be at least this size or is the base a little smaller.