Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody still using a Canon iPF6100? New user seeks general advice.  (Read 1892 times)

DtEW

I suspect I'm going to have close to the last one (if not *the* last one)... being that I recently picked up a new old-stock* display model.

* As in completely unused.  No heads installed, no ink put through the printer at all.  Being something that sat in a store window for many years, it was a little dusty (no obvious signs of people trying to clean it) and the beige housing plastic was a little yellowed from the sun.  It was missing its two-pack of heads and some spacers for the roll spindle (that I have confidence I can 3D-print up, if needed).

Perhaps inadvisably, it is my first foray into wide-format printers.  I have a PRO-10 and I know that doesn't count.  Yes, I realize that investing in a decade-old model is probably not the most straightforward and fool-proof way of entering a new field.

I have carefully cleaned it (vacuuming and blowing where appropriate), and then acquired the heads and OEM inks.  It came to life this afternoon and printed off alignment and calibration sheets without drama.  Later tonight, I will try to update its firmware and get my computers to talk to it.

I have a vague idea of how to keep this thing running (eg. print every week, if only a nozzle check; don't keep it powered-on as with the HPs, as it'll go though deep cleaning cycles every 72 hours and consume large amounts of ink needlessly).

I'm posting to see if anybody who has experience with this printer (and its generational brethren) can feedback and offer some tips that might be helpful to a newbie at the wide-format thing.  Any insight/tips is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 02:00:01 pm by DtEW »

Landscapes

Re: Anybody still using a Canon iPF6100?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 10:36:29 pm »

I used to have this printer, wonderful machine, but am happy to use the iPF6400 now.  Its very similar though.

One thing I would say is that printing once a week is not enough.  After about 3 days of not printing, the printer will do a clean cycle before it does anything else.  I'm not sure of the exact time, perhaps factors such as humidity or temperature change the duration, but it for sure won't last 7 days.  The trick is to do a print or nozzle check before its forced to do this auto clean cycle because it will waste about 14ml of ink to do it.  This would mean that each month you are using up about 60ml, or half a cart just for cleaning cycles.  A print can easily be only 1ml of ink, which resets this timer, so you don't have to do this clean cycle.

The other option is to go into the service menu and do a nozzle check from there as this will reset the counter as well.  With mine, I printed way more often than this, but if I wasn't printing for a few days, I made sure that after 2 day of the printer not doing anything, I sent it at least a small print.  The trick really is to use it often.  Doing lots of prints at once and then nothing for a week isn't nearly as good as doing a few prints every day or every other day.  So if you can, space out your prints throughout the week.  For a person not printing for a business, this can of course be quite tough, but these machines have to be kept printing.

enduser

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 01:05:25 am »

It does not want to be turned off! After printing just let it go to sleep mode.  It then does a humidity check, shakes the carts etc., and uses almost NO ink.
It uses a nozzle redundancy routine where it re-maps ink to good nozzles and hides the bad ones.  Ultimately no unused nozzles are available and it's new head time - easily done  by the user.
In service mode you can see how many nozzles have been used. This technology requires no nozzle checks before printing.

DtEW

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 01:31:18 pm »

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

But are you guys sure about the 3-days thing?  I've been reading both the iPF Wiki - On or Off page and the iPF6000-series 2008 service manual (an update of the iPF6100-only 2007 service manual, now including the iPF6200 and iPF6000S), which documents the the cleaning conditions/behaviors/expenditures as thus:

It seems that the two are in rough agreement that coming below 168 hours (exactly 7 days) is the magic time period to ward off most cleaning regimens.  Is the recommendations you guys are giving (which are in rough agreement with each other, save for the leaving the printer on/off thing) more current or more authoritative (eg. your own controlled testing) than this?

On an unrelated note, do you guys have any recommendations for a decent bread-and-butter photo paper (fancier fine art papers will be acquired later)?  I was eyeballing the Canon Premium RC Photo Luster, having had satisfactory results from using the Canon Photo Paper Pro Luster on the PRO-10.  Would you recommend something different?

Update: have successfully put the printer on the network via WiFi using an old router as a bridge.  Computers have been able to communicate and it was able to generate a bona-fide print (using the Kyuanos calibration; a stand-alone colorimeter profiling will be coming) of a piece I've been printing a lot lately (on the PRO-10) as a test.  It's ALLIIIVVVVEEEEE!  I am ecstatic that everything seems to be working well.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 01:53:50 pm by DtEW »

Landscapes

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 02:00:44 am »

But are you guys sure about the 3-days thing?  I've been reading both the iPF Wiki - On or Off page and the iPF6000-series 2008 service manual (an update of the iPF6100-only 2007 service manual, now including the iPF6200 and iPF6000S), which documents the the cleaning conditions/behaviors/expenditures as thus:

Interesting info there.  I'm only going with what I remember.  If I waited more than 3 days, I believe that it would first do a clean cycle.  Perhaps there was another condition that triggered it.  All you can do is simply test and find out.  I do also remember (with my 6400 mind you), doing a nozzle check after 2 days or no prints, and then after another 2 days doing a print, and it still did a clean.  I figured that a nozzle check wasn't enough of a print???

14ml is too much ink to waste in my opinion though.  So once you find out, either make sure to do a print before this amount of time elapses, or turn the printer off, turn back on in service mode, and do a nozzle check from the service menu.  This should reset the timer so it doesn't do an auto clean, but you can also see all your nozzles and how they look, not just the ones that are currently being used.

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Re: Anybody still using a Canon iPF6100? New user seeks general advice.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 06:19:33 pm »

The 6100 was a good printer. Lucky you that you found new old stock. My 6100 bit the dust about a year ago. I made the mistake of using 3rd party inks. It basically killed the printer. The cost to repair was too high to be worthwhile. Fortunately, I have an 8400, but the 6100 is useful for certain kinds of smaller printing. I ended up replacing the 6100 with the PRO-1000.

You got yourself a good printer and hopefully paid very little. The biggest thing is printing something regularly (which I can be bad about) and DON'T USE 3rd PARTY INKS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alain

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 04:44:31 pm »

It seems that the two are in rough agreement that coming below 168 hours (exactly 7 days) is the magic time period to ward off most cleaning regimens.  Is the recommendations you guys are giving (which are in rough agreement with each other, save for the leaving the printer on/off thing) more current or more authoritative (eg. your own controlled testing) than this?

On an unrelated note, do you guys have any recommendations for a decent bread-and-butter photo paper (fancier fine art papers will be acquired later)?  I was eyeballing the Canon Premium RC Photo Luster, having had satisfactory results from using the Canon Photo Paper Pro Luster on the PRO-10.  Would you recommend something different?

Update: have successfully put the printer on the network via WiFi using an old router as a bridge.  Computers have been able to communicate and it was able to generate a bona-fide print (using the Kyuanos calibration; a stand-alone colorimeter profiling will be coming) of a piece I've been printing a lot lately (on the PRO-10) as a test.  It's ALLIIIVVVVEEEEE!  I am ecstatic that everything seems to be working well.

The hours in the included page seem to be in line with my feeling about cleaning cycles on a  ipf6400.

Are the amounts grams per cleaning or do I misread that?

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 04:48:59 pm by alain »
Pages: [1]   Go Up