Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Extremely expensive art sells well, top 5 of 2017  (Read 1631 times)

Rob C

Re: Extremely expensive art sells well, top 5 of 2017
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2017, 05:19:51 PM »

I'm not getting a 'buzz' from Rothko. His paintings are meditations on death. Similar spiritual feelings with Cezanne. His paintings are studies of becoming.

Sure, some of the work I enjoy is 'buzzy' (Bridget Riley, Pollock), but there's more to modern painting than visual effects.

Let me be honest. If that's how he strikes you, do yourself a favour and don't go back.

I've seen enough death and, chronologically at least, am not realistically that distant from it myself; there is nothing worth meditating about death. It comes to us all, we can't avoid it, and in the meantime, it fucks up everything you love most. Keep away from it as best you can; stop thinking about it and live whilst life is still with you. None of us knows what - if anything - comes later. That's where personal faith, as distinct from any prescribed faiths, has its own value. I no longer fear death, though I certainly fear pain.

The best one can do is never to forget the wonderful times that have lightened our souls now and again; know that without life we would never have had those moments, and that we know nothing - none of us - and that what will be will be. Maybe it's a doorway to the best we ever hoped for in life and probably never achieved. If it's a step to nothing, we'll never know. It might even be the entrance to something never imagined. But don't dwell on something that can't be changed. That is a waste of time/life. (No pun etc.)

Rob

elliot_n

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2017, 06:26:41 PM »

Seems we've reached a dead end.

Rob C

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2017, 03:34:36 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up