Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Before the Storm  (Read 1246 times)

farbschlurf

• fototypo
Before the Storm
« on: July 29, 2017, 03:18:13 am »

... just minutes before it started.

I wonder (and asking you) whether this one appears over-processed, there's a a lot of manipulating involved. Especially I'm not a 100% happy with the color of the sky. Any comments/ hints?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Before the Storm
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 03:25:08 am »

The overall effect is OK, but I'd say no more than that. Close up, it becomes obvious that you've put a lot of work into the sky. There's a very visible halo on the treeline, particularly to the left; and where it's possible to see the sky between the upper branches of trees (easiest on the right), it is much brighter than just above the branches.

I see what you're trying to do, but I'm not convinced that the shot is worth the effort. Sorry.

Jeremy

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 12:09:29 pm »

I agree with Jeremy. But there is learning to be had from "ok" shots that can eventually be used in stronger compositions.

My favorite adjustments for this sort of sky is to adjust the white balance, and, if need be, desaturate the blue. Or convert to B+W.

JKoerner007

• "A picture's worth a thousand words."
    • John Koerner Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 12:40:38 pm »

I actually like the colors/composition alot.

However, the image seems like it was slightly blurry, un-sharp, and over-proceed/sharpened to compensate.

Had it been very sharp in-camera, and not processed so much, it would be quite nice IMO (which it is from afar, just not at the pixel level).

Telecaster

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 03:05:34 pm »

I'd give it another go, with less overall saturation and a gentler touch re. the sky.

-Dave-

leuallen

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 08:14:59 pm »

The halos are easy to fix. Check out this YouTube tutorial: tutorial

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 04:03:49 am »

Thanks everybody for your valuable thoughts! It's hard to get honest feedback, it's much appreciated!

I agree it may not be the "supershot" worth putting hours of work into it, but I'd like to try whats possible here. I see the halos, of course, will check the given method some time. Also it sounds like a good idea to tweak the WB of the sky. (It's already desaturated.)

Basically it seems like the picture really is over-processed. Getting the brightness of the sky down has it's limits, it's hard on the edge, here.

What I really need to check is the sharpness thing. For my standards the picture is okay (not perfect, though, I know, hand held and a rather "simple" camera/lens combo), so I really was kind of surprised about that comment. Maybe it's just some artifact from downscaling? I will have to look closer at that.

This one is processed entirely with capture one alone, no more PS tweaks (but scaling). I just want to learn to get along with one single SW. But I see there're limits.

I'm happy some like the overall picture, and it's general appearance, apart from some flaws in details. Thank you.

Thanks for looking again!
farbschlurf
Pages: [1]   Go Up