Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! Canon ipf8300 inks on ipf8400  (Read 1126 times)

Kanvas Keepsakes

Help! Canon ipf8300 inks on ipf8400
« on: July 29, 2017, 01:28:05 am »

About a year ago my Canon ipf8300 crapped out on me.  I ended up upgrading and got a ipf8400 model.  I had almost all the large inks for the 8300 from the old printer.  I pulled them out just in case.  A couple months later one of the colors went out.  Just to try it I put the 8300 ink into my 8400 printer and it took it and even showed me the level of ink left.  I thought the inks were going to work because of this.  Since then I've tried 3 other inks and none of them work from the 8300 to the 8400.  It's saturday night.  An old client called me needing 18 canvas prints by this coming Thursday.  I have two of the inks already alerting me they're about to go out.  I inserted the old inks and my printer wont read them.  I've looked everywhere and I can not find anywhere online that will ship me those two inks I need by Wednesday to give me time to print and stretch by Thursday/Friday.  Anyone know of any tricks or workarounds to get my old ink carts to work on my new printer???

Miles

Re: Help! Canon ipf8300 inks on ipf8400
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 08:38:51 am »

When I transitioned from the ipf8300 to the 8400 I simply put my old carts in the 8400 and kept the new ones on the shelf for replacement when needed.  I didn't have any problems at all with the new printer accepting them.  You may want to try restarting the machine with your fingers crossed, but you probably already tried that. 

Have you checked B&H Photo or Atlex for ink.  Unfortunately you'll pay dearly for overnight shipping, but they should be able to deliver.  Wish I could help more.

Miles

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 03:05:24 pm »

I wonder if there's a way to open up the semi empty tank and fill it with the ink from the full tank.  Anyone know if this can be done?

Pete Berry

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 03:02:03 pm »

I wonder if there's a way to open up the semi empty tank and fill it with the ink from the full tank.  Anyone know if this can be done?

If the 8300/8400 tanks have a lower end like the 5000 series with the two ports having interior rubber diaphragms, these may be pierced with hypodermic needles ~ 23 gauge 1.5" - one for each cart. Using a large capacity syringe if you find one - 10ml or more but 50ml for your huge carts if you can find one!) insert the needle through the diaphragm (don't think it matters which one) keeping it vertically true as poss. on insertion, aspirate a syringe-full from the donor cart with syringe down, then turn syringe up, detach the syringe from needle to equalize pressure, and inject through a needle placed in the recipient port, then detach syringe and repeat as needed. Be sure to do the multiple cart inversions to mix well first. I've scavenged 5-10ml ink in desperation from "empty" carts in the past by forcing the needle through an upper corner of the cart, then injecting through the recipient cart port as above. No leaks noted.

A pharmacy will have at least smaller syringes (2.5-5ml), and certainly the needles, without Rx; a med/surg. supply store the larger hypodermic syringes.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 03:09:56 pm by Pete Berry »
Pages: [1]   Go Up