Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony E-Mount Lens on Nikon F-Mount Camera?  (Read 4574 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Sony E-Mount Lens on Nikon F-Mount Camera?
« on: July 28, 2017, 07:08:33 am »

My question is it possible to mount a Sony E-Mount Lens on Nikon F-Mount Camera? If so, where could I find an adapter? If not, why is this not possible?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Rob C

Re: Sony E-Mount Lens on Nikon F-Mount Camera?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 08:34:39 am »

My question is it possible to mount a Sony E-Mount Lens on Nikon F-Mount Camera? If so, where could I find an adapter? If not, why is this not possible?

Don't forget that even Nikon has lenses that won't mount on all Nikon cameras; off the top of my head, I seem to remember these as being connected with their early af system. Also, some tele-extenders and extension rings are incompatible with a few lenses/camera combinations.

You obviously know what you're doing, but for myself, I don't like the idea of mixing marques. It's so easy to fall between stools and not really know what's going wrong - if it does. Then whom does one blame should damage happen to camera or glass still under guarantee?

Rob

hogloff

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 08:41:42 am »

Don't Sony E mount lenses require a shorter flange distance than what Nikon cameras use?

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 08:58:38 am »

Don't Sony E mount lenses require a shorter flange distance than what Nikon cameras use?

That's probably why there are no adapters. Just wondering.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 09:01:41 am »

That's probably why there are no adapters. Just wondering.

Yes, that is the reason.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 09:03:41 am »

Nikon current lenses being designed for a mirror box would have a longer flange distance.

Odds are you can adapt them but you would lose infinity focus which may or may not be a problem.

Works the other way however.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 09:25:26 am »

Nikon current lenses being designed for a mirror box would have a longer flange distance.

Odds are you can adapt them but you would lose infinity focus which may or may not be a problem.

Works the other way however.

Paul Caldwell

I don't care about infinity because I am a close-up photographer. Any idea where I could find an adapter?

hogloff

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 09:41:39 am »

I don't care about infinity because I am a close-up photographer. Any idea where I could find an adapter?

I think you are out of luck. Just can't see the demand to warrant anyone to make a mount.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 09:49:51 am »

I think you are out of luck. Just can't see the demand to warrant anyone to make a mount.

I hear that, and understand. But does anyone know where I could get such a mount?

lightskyland

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 12:31:22 pm »

With that much of a flange difference you probably couldn't even get usable images from most Sony E-mount lenses on a Nikon dSLR.

You're better off just buying a cheap Sony Alpha body if you have a Sony lens you really want to use. There are A7s available used in the $600 range, and A7Rs under $1000.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 12:46:32 pm »

I have the A7RII, I just like to experiment. Thanks.

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 02:19:54 pm »

I have the A7RII, I just like to experiment. Thanks.

The problem it is not only the flange distance... that you loose infinite focus... it is also that it needs to be an intelligent adaptor, since all Sony AF lenses are focus by wire... so to focus you need to power the lens... also to change aperture control... few exceptions from three party brands are fully manual... that it is a lot of R&D development for a company that I think it is going to interest very few people...

http://dgpfotografia.com

jwstl

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 02:23:03 pm »

I hear that, and understand. But does anyone know where I could get such a mount?

You'll have to make one.

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 02:26:51 pm »

The problem it is not only the flange distance... that you loose infinite focus... it is also that it needs to be an intelligent adaptor, since all Sony AF lenses are focus by wire... so to focus you need to power the lens... also to change aperture control... few exceptions from three party brands are fully manual... that it is a lot of R&D development for a company that I think it is going to interest very few people...

Ok Michael, I think your interest it is the voigtlaender macro... that it is pure mechanical lens, so a dumb adapter will do, forget what I said before...

Maybe someone with a 3D printer could design something... not sure how doadoble it is, I have never used one

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 04:09:35 pm »

You'll have to make one.

An easy way would be to attach an E-mount extension tube on a lens board for a bellows camera.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 04:27:44 pm »

An easy way would be to attach an E-mount extension tube on a lens board for a bellows camera.

The lens I want to use would not do well on a bellows. Thanks.

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2017, 06:20:43 pm »

It looks like the only way would be a custom build. Have you considered S.K.Grimes?

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2017, 06:45:28 pm »

It looks like the only way would be a custom build. Have you considered S.K.Grimes?

I think 3D printing is the best way to do this, but if you're old school you could get some short E-mount and F-mount extension tubes disassemble them and use some hardware from each. Keeping the whole thing concentric and the two planes parallel would be tough without a mill, though. The more I think about this the harder it sounds.

Prof Hank over on DPR makes adapters with 3D printing. Maybe you could get some of his files for the tricky ends and design your own simple middle.

I'm not sure how much extension you could tolerate, though. The FFD difference is 28.5 mm, and the adapter would be at least 3 or 4 mm thick, so that's at least 32 mm. The Voigtlander 65mm E-mount lens uses floating elements, so it probably won't be as sharp if extended by 32 mm from where it thinks the focal plane is.

Jim

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2017, 07:43:43 pm »

I think 3D printing is the best way to do this, but if you're old school you could get some short E-mount and F-mount extension tubes disassemble them and use some hardware from each. Keeping the whole thing concentric and the two planes parallel would be tough without a mill, though. The more I think about this the harder it sounds.

Prof Hank over on DPR makes adapters with 3D printing. Maybe you could get some of his files for the tricky ends and design your own simple middle.

I'm not sure how much extension you could tolerate, though. The FFD difference is 28.5 mm, and the adapter would be at least 3 or 4 mm thick, so that's at least 32 mm. The Voigtlander 65mm E-mount lens uses floating elements, so it probably won't be as sharp if extended by 32 mm from where it thinks the focal plane is.

Jim

I agree. It was just a thought, but it would mess the lens quality up, which is why I am getting it. I will use the 65mm Macro APO on the Sony A7RII and see it it is better than the CV-125.

donbga

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2017, 10:07:24 pm »

It's so easy to fall between stools and not really know what's going wrong -

Rob

Oh Rob, it has been  a long time since I've been that drunk!  :P The next one is on me.  ;)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up