Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Pro 1000 Paper Registration and handling question  (Read 1191 times)

JimPalik

Canon Pro 1000 Paper Registration and handling question
« on: July 27, 2017, 04:03:47 am »

Hello all, I think I recently posted this question in the wrong place. I have gotten more than 50 hits but no replies. I am trying again here.

I would like to hear from anyone that has experience with the Canon Pro 1000. All the reviews I have read give it high marks. I currently have an Epson 3880. I am happy with the print quality of the 3880 but I have two unique problems. I print photographic art greeting cards, 4-up on B3+ paper.

1. The 3880 does not register each sheet perfectly. It is OK for individual prints but if I print 10 or 20 sheets at a time they will all vary by either a minor skew or miss-register by a millimeter or two. This makes it impossible to take a stack of prints to a large paper cutter and group cut them. Each B3+ must be cut by hand. I have the same problem with folding.

Can anyone tell me if the Canon vacuum feed registers multiple prints accurately?

2. I score every print for folding. The ink on the 3880 sometimes cracks after scoring when folding the print. Does anyone have experience scoring a printed image and then folding it?

Any other feedback would be appreciated. Especially if anyone has switched to the Canon pro 1000 from the Epson 3880.

Thank you in advance,

Jim Palik

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
Re: Canon Pro 1000 Paper Registration and handling question
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 05:56:27 am »

Canon PRO-1000 has a very good feeding mechanism. In the 7 months I owed it I printed 250 sheets mostly A2. I have never encounter a misfeed or a skewed print. If the paper is set with a small angle printer by itself re-position it. I have also printed many A4 size different papers with the same printer evaluation image. Ι can measure their margins to test the accuracy but I need time to do it.

JimPalik

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 11:00:29 am »

Thank you Panagiotis for the feedback. Could you do a simple test for me? Make an A4 template in photoshop with a plane white background and several vertical and horizontal 2px wide lines in pure black so that they form a matrix. Then print several sheets on plain paper. Turn them over and print on the back side being sure the bottom is the same on both sides. When you hold them up to light you will see if the lines register. This is what offset printer's did in the old days to setup their presses to do four color offset and two sided printing. This test fails horribly on the Epson. Because it will be limited to fine lines and no grey scale it will use almost no ink. This is the gold standard for registration testing.

Just out of curiosity, where are you from? I ask this because you refer to the European standard of A2 and A4 rather than 11 x 17 and letter size.

Thank you in advance. I look forward to hearing from you.

Jim

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 11:06:55 am by JimPalik »

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 12:51:14 pm »

Thank you Panagiotis for the feedback. Could you do a simple test for me? Make an A4 template in photoshop with a plane white background and several vertical and horizontal 2px wide lines in pure black so that they form a matrix. Then print several sheets on plain paper. Turn them over and print on the back side being sure the bottom is the same on both sides. When you hold them up to light you will see if the lines register. This is what offset printer's did in the old days to setup their presses to do four color offset and two sided printing. This test fails horribly on the Epson. Because it will be limited to fine lines and no grey scale it will use almost no ink. This is the gold standard for registration testing.

Just out of curiosity, where are you from? I ask this because you refer to the European standard of A2 and A4 rather than 11 x 17 and letter size.

Thank you in advance. I look forward to hearing from you.

Jim

Hi, please prepare the file, sent it to me and I will print it. 10 times are ok? I am Greek and I live in Athens :)

EDIT:
About the accuracy of the PRO-1000 feeding mechanism. I just remembered that last February I printed a series of 28 A2 prints with a 1 millimeter border in the two short sides because I wanted to fill a 590mm frame and since the A2 sheet is 594mm I printed 592mm just to cover the viewport. All printed as expected.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 02:50:52 pm by Panagiotis »

sakharov.alexander

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 06:45:26 am »

Pro-1000 is a good printer with excelent paper feed engine.
It has few issues in different areas. It list my Pro-1000, checked by Canon engineer.
1. CO ink usage. For matt fine art paper like Hahnumuhle Photo Rag it use around the same amount of CO as sum of other inks volume. It happlends not for every type of paper.
2. The time, required for printer start. Is "thinking", shaking cartridges, dumping ink into maintenance cartridge.
It is really time consuming, especially after a long period of inactivity.
My last situation - printer was switched on after 1.5 month of not using. It takes the printer more than one hour to performe all start and cleaning steps. More than one hour.
Pages: [1]   Go Up