Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: About Epson legacy paper  (Read 4948 times)

deanwork

Re: About Epson legacy paper
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 08:15:41 am »

Not similar , my very diverse files are coming out of the printer identical. I'm doing 20x24 full range  color and monochrome prints not spectro measurements.  Don't need to prove anything . Epson made No innovation or even a subtle visual change that's visible here. In all areas of practical useful comparisons they are the same Canson media I've been using for many years every day.

There have been noted slight differences between batches of Canson media in the past. I encountered this about 5 years ago with Rag  Photographique. I've seen fluctuations in Hahnemühle papers as well depending on batch and location of the coating. Who knows what we are up against in the near future with all these corporate changes.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 08:34:12 am by deanwork »

koonyue

Re: About Epson legacy paper
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2017, 12:59:01 am »

Hi deanwork,

I also made the "switch" from film c print, to digital inkjet print, I think digital capture has the advantage in sharpness, dynamic range (I am using Sony A7R ii) and even color which I have so much flexibility to change it.

By comparing the physical c print vs inkjet print on good paper, sometimes I just cannot tell which is which if 8 am back off about 3 to 4 ft.

By looking at them closely, inkjet print always is sharper.

May I have some comments from you on c print vs inkjet print?

Look I am doing a job right now that I've been working on for the last two days .  A well known photographer  came to work with me for a couple of days from out of state on some work that is museum quality and he is one of the pickiest photographers I've ever printed for.  He used to print all his own work on c prints are we are drum scanning his archive then matching the old prints etc. I have done all his color work on Platine for years.

I proofed all the work on a roll of Epson " Legacy " Platine I bought from Shades Of Paper (strange how it has the same unusual name , Platine, huh) and then proofed it again from the same exact files a day later on a roll of Canson Platine that I bought from B&H. , which I made the final large prints from. Guess what,  all 5 of these color prints on both papers were 100 % identical . All the different scans had totally different hues and contrast situations and they all matched up identically with both papers - Canon Lucia inks.

Similarly I've used the Epson "Legacy Fiber" side by side with the Canson Rag Photographique on jobs last month and guess what again - exactly the same result.

So just as I thought in the beginning, all that bullshit these people were propagating about Epson creating this new "legacy" line is just that, bullshit. They bought the right to use Canson media and the same coating and put their name on it.

Now we may see differences in batches of both media over time, being coated in differient locations or even differient countries, but the essential product is the same.

The Canson and the Epson papers are super close to each other and I have heard they are both made by Canson.  However, if you create print profiles for each of the paper, there are slightly different.  Not saying one is better than the other but they are different when I made them on my P7000.  The same source that told me they are made by Canson also stated that Epson modified the recipe for the coatings.  Can you see the difference when you print a photo.  I can't.  I buy which ever is the most cost effective.  Best of luck.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up