Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji GFX 50c and Hassie X1D - anyone ACTUALLY tested each PERSONALLY?  (Read 10090 times)

pschefz

Re: Fuji GFX 50c and Hassie X1D - anyone ACTUALLY tested each PERSONALLY?
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2017, 07:12:38 pm »

Press the trash button for 2-3 seconds, then press the rear dial once. The GFX immediately jumps directly into the format menu.

Greeting Gerd
this does not work for me?
schefz.com
artloch.com

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2017, 08:08:24 pm »

this does not work for me?

Me neither.

elundqvist_photo

• Portfolio
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2017, 04:25:51 am »

Works for me on the GFX and the x-series cameras.

Press and hold the Trash button until some of the text in the upper right corner of the screen disappears and you and you can then press the rear command dial (whilst still pressing the trash button).

Gerd_Peters

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2017, 04:36:31 am »

OK. Sorry my mistake.

Press and hold the trash button and then press the rear dial once. Then jump the GFX directly into the format menu.

Firmware 1.11 and German language set (whereby the language really should not matter).

Does the quick change between focus peaking works with you?
(only hold the rear dial for a few seconds = focus peaking on / off)

Greeting Gerd

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2017, 08:53:33 am »

Given:  Drove to the North Carolina coast camping on Saturday, returned home last night Wednesday.
Shot identical scenes, all on tripod, with Sony a7RII and Metabones+Canon 17mm TSE and the Fuji GFX with 23mm lens.
All images viewed and imported by the latest version of Lightroom 6.

To my eye, there IS a dramatic difference/improvement in the Fuji image verse the Sony.
Fuji is a keeper, Sony will be listed for sale today.

So, what does my statement mean:
1.  I have owned and shot over the decades:  Leaf, Phase, Hasselblad for decades.  Actually entered the digital arena working with Eikonix in developing their digital array and camera, 

Sold the H5D 50 WiFi about 9 months ago to test the Sony a7RII in the hopes a smaller and lighter DSLR would give me a comparable image.  I did not expect an identical experience, but I expected it to be close from all of the reviews I read.

2.  Conclusion - Sony is great IF you are doing Real Estate sales work, general street photography, and other venues that DSLR is native to.  BUT for fine art landscape work it is not able to compare to MFD in any way to MY EYE!  (You may like it, I'm just stating here what I like.)

When I purchased the Sony, the GFX and it's 23mm were not available, and I had never owned a Fuji camera or worked with them in the past as I had with Leaf and Hasselblad's engineering teams.

My 5 days of testing has produced a clear impression in my mind's eye of dramatically sharper images, much smoother color ramps with out the "harshness" I found in the Sony.  Color fidelity is broader and does not need hardly any "tweaking".

Now, Fuji's 23 lens is the sharpest lens I have ever used with extremely large scope of sharpness across a much broader range of stops than the norm.  Just seductive to a person who seeks crisp and sharp without a over processed harsh look.

Of course, RAW files are large (and the Fuji RAF files are not opened by Photoshop, but Lightroom 6 does) so I'll not post here.

It is great to find a camera that gets me excited again to go out and "shoot"!  That was completely missing with the Sony for me. 

Again, this is not introducing anything other than MY preference for a camera and lens to use for my type of landscape work.
So, no "wars" to be started, just saying, get your hands on the Fuji GFX with their 23mm for yourself!  It is a great experience.

Jack

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2017, 09:13:59 am »

The RAF files should be opened by latest version of ACR, in Photoshop CC.

Glad you found the camera to your liking.

One thing you might consider in the future, is to work with C1 on the raws.  I realize there is no native support.  LR/ACR works great on the lower ISO files but I feel still pulls more noise out higher ISO files.  Colors are very close between the two converters.

To use C1, 1st convert raf to dng with Adobe dng converter.  The edit the exif info for camera name and company name, To Phase One and IQ 350.  Note the spaces they need to be there.

C1 will open with the default profile for the IQ 350, but for me the colors are fine.  May not work for a studio shooter, but I have read reports where many are OK with it.  Will lose the film simulations, but these tend to be over the top to me anyway.

C1 handles the shadows just much better for me and also is a bit more forgiving on the highlights. 

Downsides, that I have found are that LR can't make a panorama from the converted C1 tifs where as it can easily make a pano from the same raf files.  Not sure what is missing here, but CC works fine on the same tifs as does ptgui.  I love to use the GFX in creating hand held panos, where with my P1 back I would need a tripod.

Enjoy the camera.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2017, 10:17:47 am »

The RAF files should be opened by latest version of ACR, in Photoshop CC.

Glad you found the camera to your liking.

One thing you might consider in the future, is to work with C1 on the raws.  I realize there is no native support.  LR/ACR works great on the lower ISO files but I feel still pulls more noise out higher ISO files.  Colors are very close between the two converters.

To use C1, 1st convert raf to dng with Adobe dng converter.  The edit the exif info for camera name and company name, To Phase One and IQ 350.  Note the spaces they need to be there.

C1 will open with the default profile for the IQ 350, but for me the colors are fine.  May not work for a studio shooter, but I have read reports where many are OK with it.  Will lose the film simulations, but these tend to be over the top to me anyway.

C1 handles the shadows just much better for me and also is a bit more forgiving on the highlights. 

Downsides, that I have found are that LR can't make a panorama from the converted C1 tifs where as it can easily make a pano from the same raf files.  Not sure what is missing here, but CC works fine on the same tifs as does ptgui.  I love to use the GFX in creating hand held panos, where with my P1 back I would need a tripod.

Another processing workflow to consider: Irdient XTransformer to DNG, then Lr. Brian's XTransformer has lots of options unavailable when you feed Lr the RAFs.

jim

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2017, 11:26:27 am »

Two great suggestions that I'll experiment with!
Thanks!

Jack

Followup: 
1.)  CS6 PS will not open the RAF file - I have the latest ACR and PS.
If there is a "secret handshake" to make it work, please let me know.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 07:27:07 am by Lust4Life »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up