Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opening "Advantix" cartridges  (Read 7166 times)

David R. Gurtcheff

Opening "Advantix" cartridges
« on: August 24, 2006, 02:24:19 pm »

Not sure where to post this. I built my darkroom in 1959 and have processed all formats of film (roll, 35mm). I promised a friend I would scan their film with my 120 Polaroid Sprintscan, and make an enlargement. The film she gve me was Kodak Advantix. Please pardon my ignorance, but how do I open the damn cartridge to get at the exposed film? Also, what is the approximate neg size....I only have 35mm and roll film carriers for my scanner. If need be, I will mask down the carrier to hold the smaller film. Thanks in advance Dave G in NJ

Gregory

• http://www.gregory.hk
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 12:30:46 pm »

I have a Nikon Super Coolscan 4000ED (or at least I did until the FireWire went funny and I gave it to the Nikon repair centre where it's been for the last 6 months).

to scan the many rolls of Advantix we have, I purchased the Advantix scanner adapter. one gotcha with Advantix is that you cannot unwind and re-wind it very many times. in fact, two or three times is the maximum. each time you unwind/rewind it, the film tightens until it simply doesn't unwind anymore. the only apparent solution to this was to get someone to duplicate the film into another advantix cartridge.

you *can* get the film out of the cartridges though (back to your question). you need a small screwdriver to press down in the side of the 'door' to turn it and open it. with another larger screwdriver, turn the main axel of the cartridge until the film pokes out through the door.

note that when you wind the film back into the cartridge, you need to turn it in until the indicator moves to position 4 indicating that the film has been developed. if you don't do this, developers and scanners may not be able to open the cartridge with their usual methods.

the negative frame size is very small; approx 18mm x 32mm (I just measured one)
Gregory's Blog: [url=http://www.gregory.

David R. Gurtcheff

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 01:33:03 pm »

I have a Nikon Super Coolscan 4000ED (or at least I did until the FireWire went funny and I gave it to the Nikon repair centre where it's been for the last 6 months).

to scan the many rolls of Advantix we have, I purchased the Advantix scanner adapter. one gotcha with Advantix is that you cannot unwind and re-wind it very many times. in fact, two or three times is the maximum. each time you unwind/rewind it, the film tightens until it simply doesn't unwind anymore. the only apparent solution to this was to get someone to duplicate the film into another advantix cartridge.

you *can* get the film out of the cartridges though (back to your question). you need a small screwdriver to press down in the side of the 'door' to turn it and open it. with another larger screwdriver, turn the main axel of the cartridge until the film pokes out through the door.

note that when you wind the film back into the cartridge, you need to turn it in until the indicator moves to position 4 indicating that the film has been developed. if you don't do this, developers and scanners may not be able to open the cartridge with their usual methods.

the negative frame size is very small; approx 18mm x 32mm (I just measured one)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74447\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks Greg, I'll give it a try.
Dave

Dale_Cotton

• http://daystarvisions.com
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 02:10:59 pm »

David: is Advantix the same as APS? If so, my scanner has an APS adapter; if it makes sense to do so, mail the roll to me and I'll scan it to CD for you.

David R. Gurtcheff

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 03:16:37 pm »

David: is Advantix the same as APS? If so, my scanner has an APS adapter; if it makes sense to do so, mail the roll to me and I'll scan it to CD for you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74462\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks Dale:
I got the film out and made a mask with outside dimensions of a strip of 35mm film, and cutout the size of APS film. Made a decent 8"x10" for my friend.
Thanks again, my friend.
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up