Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving / Transporting Used 7880  (Read 918 times)

callumalden

• Alden Fine Print & Co.
Moving / Transporting Used 7880
« on: July 25, 2017, 11:33:52 am »

Hello all. I'll start with a sob story- I recently purchased a used 7890 to replace an ageing Epson 7600 from a local print shop. Gosh, those printheads are the definition of delicate. It was DOA! I read each and every page of that wonderful and famous LL post regards resuscitating those printheads... gave up, sold for scrap.

Last night my trusty 7600 packed in, it may have caught 'bad vibes' off the 7890 and the printhead is now dying from either side in a nasty electronic fashion (similar to the conclusion in the famous post referenced above).

Anyway. I've purchased a 7880 at a cracking price, from a photographer who's owned the machine since purchase. No issues, print head 100% and its been carefully maintained.

How do I ensure when transporting this (60 miles) that something bad doesn't happen? Drain the ink. Carts in/out? Storage fluid?

The manual tells me to contact Epson to purchase packaging materials, I've done that. Will await their response. Hoh hoh.

Any thoughts most welcome.

- Callum (Edinburgh, UK)

Paul Roark

Re: Moving / Transporting Used 7880
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 04:27:05 pm »

I have transported Epson 24 and 44 inch printers rather regularly over 100 miles with nothing special done and never any leaks or head damage.   I use a van with a flat surface (VW Eurovan camper), and do put down a canvas or cardboard covering below the printers.  Maybe I've just been lucky.  I can imagine it might be a good idea to tape the head assembly to hold it still, but I generally don't even do that.  Nor do I generally remove the carts.  It would be interesting do know why a printer would get damaged just be carefully driving on good paved roads with the printer being level in the vehicle. 

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

BrianWJH

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 04:33:46 pm »

How do I ensure when transporting this (60 miles) that something bad doesn't happen? Drain the ink. Carts in/out? Storage fluid?

The manual tells me to contact Epson to purchase packaging materials, I've done that. Will await their response. Hoh hoh.

Any thoughts most welcome.

- Callum (Edinburgh, UK)

Callum,

Keep the printer upright during transport, leave the carts in and see if you can find and install the print head locking plate that was installed when the printer was new, given that the printer was one owner they may also have the locking plate which is removed on unpacking.

This plate stops movement of the head on the carriage during shipping.

Cheers,

Brian.

callumalden

• Alden Fine Print & Co.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 10:29:34 am »

Thank you both. I'm glad to hear your responses. In the past I've moved my 9600 (nearly vertical) up 4 flights of stairs, a 7600 in the back of a mini cab... quite rough) and that all went well. The 7890 was moved by a professional courier service, so gentle, the printhead couldn't handle the commotion or change in humidity.

Okay, moving my 'new' 7880 this weekend. I'll follow your advice and report back!

- Callum

callumalden

• Alden Fine Print & Co.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 01:37:46 pm »

Worked a charm, up and running. Seems as solid as my trusty old 9600. Will it last another 10 years though!?

Puts that horrible 7890 to shame!

Already cleaned the capping station, head parking station with isopropl as it was a little gunked up. Now white an shiny once more. Any further tips for long lasting life of this series, the fans seem rather noisy. Anyone dabbled with lubrication on LFP's?

Thanks all.

Larry Heath

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 02:26:22 pm »

The short answer, yes, it will last 10 years. I've got a 9880 that just keeps on keeping on.

Later Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up