Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dew and Grass  (Read 1575 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Dew and Grass
« on: July 25, 2017, 10:16:41 am »

Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Farmer

Re: Dew and Grass
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 10:44:59 pm »

Lovely light and shadow, and having not only the bands of it but the variations within the same plants makes it really interesting and appealing.

I need to get up earlier more often.
Phil Brown

RSL

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 11:32:09 am »

Thanks, Phil. It's easy to shoot when a mountain range smacks you in the eye, as often happened during the fifty years I lived in the Rockies, or when a gorgeous waterfall presents a picture like the ones you've seen on postcards. Then you can just bang away and be sure of getting a result. But if that kind of thing isn't available, you have to LOOK!

It's interesting to me how much what I've been doing this summer resembles street photography. I'm pretty much confined by the heat and humidity to my local area or to the car. And because of the heat and humidity, if I'm walking the river I'm confined to the crack of dawn -- before the world turns into a sauna. I can't plan my shoot any more than I can plan street. What I'm after jumps up at the most unexpected times, and often in the most unexpected ways. All I can do is carry my camera and LOOK -- exactly the same thing I do when I'm doing street.

BobDavid

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 08:29:58 pm »

The heat and humidity dictate when I'll go out on a photo safari. That is probably why I spend a lot of time shooting at night. This time of year, a can of OFF is a lifesaver.

It took me many years to figure out what to take pictures of in Florida, especially having moved from Boston. I started with photographing the horizon along the gulf of Mexico around sunset. Once I exhausted that subject, I started taking pictures at night. ... Florida can be a challenging place to take photos. But as you mentioned, Russ, eventually something the "eureka" hits, and the landscape becomes captivating. When I lived in Central Florida, I loved photographing swamps. They change dramatically from winter to summer.

I like the silhouettes of the plants. And I like the color play. That's an interesting spot. Are you going to revisit it?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:34:01 pm by BobDavid »

James Clark

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 08:39:19 pm »

Thanks, Phil. It's easy to shoot when a mountain range smacks you in the eye, as often happened during the fifty years I lived in the Rockies, or when a gorgeous waterfall presents a picture like the ones you've seen on postcards. Then you can just bang away and be sure of getting a result. But if that kind of thing isn't available, you have to LOOK!

It's interesting to me how much what I've been doing this summer resembles street photography. I'm pretty much confined by the heat and humidity to my local area or to the car. And because of the heat and humidity, if I'm walking the river I'm confined to the crack of dawn -- before the world turns into a sauna. I can't plan my shoot any more than I can plan street. What I'm after jumps up at the most unexpected times, and often in the most unexpected ways. All I can do is carry my camera and LOOK -- exactly the same thing I do when I'm doing street.

I think one can certainly apply this methodology to many styles of photography - in fact, it's pretty much my default setting ;)  I know many people plan photo vacations, or research specific locations, or do God knows what else to plan their images, but I've never had much luck with that kind of thing.  Instead, I carry a camera to places that seem interesting and watch for things that pop up.   Since I've become "serious" about photography (the last 5 years or so) I can say that, without exception, my best shots are the ones that I happen upon by "accident."  Then again, I'm not sure much of what I do would be defined as traditional landscape anyway.

Farmer

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 09:17:34 pm »

"f8 and be there", right? :-)
Phil Brown

James Clark

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 09:53:08 pm »

"f8 and be there", right? :-)

I prefer "Fate & be there"  ;)

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 03:17:42 am »

Very nice.

I notice your pictures need time to grow in ones mind to understand them. After seeing few of your pictures over some time, one starts to "get" what they are about, and (maybe) what you are after. I like this approach. 

mistymornings99

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 04:18:24 am »

I like this quiet contemplative approach; to me it gives more of a feel for being there than a wider image might. You have some sweet light and the silhouettes and backlit leaves are really nice. It looks a lovely spot to spend an early morning. It might be worth considering a viewpoint slightly further right, with a little more of the river and excluding the path? Just a thought.
David Harris

RSL

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 09:42:47 am »

Thanks all. I have to tell you I'm flabbergasted that a picture that doesn't knock you off your feet, or bring to mind postable recollections of when you were there, has elicited this much response. Frankly, I expected it would drift on down with a goose egg in the "Replies" column.

A bit of elaboration on the relationship of this kind of thing to street: When I'd go up to the goldfields around Cripple Creek I never knew what to expect either. But once I saw something worth shooting I'd have time to set up a tripod and frame carefully before I'd shoot. Walking the Palatlakaha river at dawn isn't like that. The sunlight is changing rapidly. I had maybe two minutes at the most to frame this picture and shoot it before the sun moved too far. That's a lot longer than you get on the street, but it's not long enough to let you stand there deliberating alternatives.

Bob, I go by that spot every time I walk the river in the morning, but it's never the same twice. I shot something similar to this a couple times, but I wasn't satisfied with those attempts. On this morning both the vegetation and the light were right.

Welcome to LuLa, David. Looks as if that's your very first post. I'm honored. And Stefan, I see that you're pretty new too. So, welcome. I think you guys will enjoy LuLa.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 03:40:23 pm »

Simple and effective with really good use of the light, what's not to like?

Good seeing Russ and this proves once again, that good shots really can be found anywhere, even hiding under a bush, if only we take the time to look.

Dave

graeme

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 06:18:30 pm »

Very nice.

I notice your pictures need time to grow in ones mind to understand them. After seeing few of your pictures over some time, one starts to "get" what they are about, and (maybe) what you are after. I like this approach.

+1. This picture took a while to grow on me.

I like the way that the different leaves overlay each other in their own flat planes. It reminds me a little of Jackson Pollock or Islamic calligraphy ( this kind of thing: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-iJKPvvpXH0E/T2aOMXAuR4I/AAAAAAAABhE/HGyy0amnJWk/s1600/islamic+art2.jpg ).

If I was nitpicking I'd make the water a little less red / purple & crop a tiny bit off the right hand side.

RSL

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 10:35:10 am »

Thanks, Graeme, and I'm glad you're not nitpicking.
Pages: [1]   Go Up