Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Computer to Take to a Workshop  (Read 1923 times)

BradSmith

What Computer to Take to a Workshop
« on: July 23, 2017, 03:02:33 pm »

Next year I'll be attending a 5 day workshop that will include both field work and image processing and must bring a computer.  Primarily use Lightroom with some Photoshop when required.  I have a 2009 MacPro with a 7 year old calibrated NEC 27" 2690 monitor - no laptop.   So over the next year or so, it will probably be time to replace my desktop computer and monitor and will need something to take to the workshop.  I want to stay with Mac for my desktop and I want a desktop keyboard with numeric keypad and will use a mouse.  A couple ideas....

>>Get a 27" iMac as my new desktop and take it to the workshop.  Don't buy a separate NEC or Eizo 27" monitor.
>>Get a used Mac Mini and 21" non-calibrated monitor just for the workshop.  Do something else for my desktop
>>Get a used 15" MacBook Pro for the workshop.  Do something else for the desktop.
>> Other ideas???? 
thanks
Brad

TommyWeir

Re: What Computer to Take to a Workshop
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 04:42:07 pm »

I would buy on the basis of what I wanted in my own studio. 
I would borrow a laptop or rent one for the workshop. I imagine all the others will be laptop users. Could be a PC if it ran Lightroom/PS.

ralfe89

• Software engineer and photographer with print-love
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 05:45:46 pm »

Investing heavenly in an MacBook Pro makes imho only sense if you plan to use it more often and not once in a year or so (like this planed workshop).

How heavy are you using your CPU on your MacPro? One idea could be going to the MacBook Pro 15 with maxed CPU und SSD Storage you are comfortable with. This would be the mobile solution and at home plugin at a external monitor with Thunderbolt 3 port and use the monitor as a hub for the needed peripherals. With the upcoming High Sierra OS update external graphics card support over Thunderbolt 3 will be available so more graphics power would not be the problem.

I have since one week the current MacBook Pro 13 with i7, 16 GB Ram und 512 GB SSD and it runs fast. Lightroom should be ok. Due performance reasons I switched to Capture One Pro and imagine editing feels as fast as on my desktop PC (6 core i7 Haawell-E, 32 GB RAM, Quadro M4000, multiple SSD drives on Eizo CS270 monitor). Sure in preview rendering or exporting the more power is used by Capture One but the little MBP13 doesn't look bad :)

For basic editing the more basic models are good enough. My laptop before Imgot the MBP13 had an i5 and 8 GB RAM (also one 13" one) and RAW editing in Lightroom, PS and Capture One runs fine (I have Sony a7ii uncompressed files around 42 MB and 24 Megapixels). Heavy filters or huge PS editing stuff can take a bit longer but for this I wouldn't buy a 13" laptop. For this a 15" one with the quad core CPUs should be the way to go (and if mobile usage is one requirement).
Nothing better as own printed gallery images :)

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 09:50:30 pm »

I have a friend who lugs his 1 year old 27" iMac to 3 or 4 workshops/year.  Personally it looks like a PITA to me.  I much prefer taking my 15" MBP with an external SSD. 

Personally, I would consider renting a MBP for the workshop and buying an external drive to house your photos.  You'd want a few days ahead of time to configure everything and make sure it's working and a day or two afterwards to clean it up before returning it.  I would buy a new 27" iMac. 

I just got a loaded 27" iMac to replace a 6 year old 21.5" iMac and I love it. 

Regards,
Ron

BradSmith

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 12:49:33 pm »

Quote from: rdonson link=topic=119040.msg989006#msg989006 date=1500861030

I just got a loaded 27" iMac to replace a 6 year old 21.5" iMac and I love it.
[/quote

Ron, most people here seem to agree that a full Adobe color space monitor (NEC, Eizo, BenQ) that is calibrated is "best".  What are your experiences with the old iMac and so far with the new one as far as the screen is considered?  Can you reduce its brightness enough to get a good print to screen match?
Brad
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 01:05:19 pm by BradSmith »

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 03:20:20 pm »

Brad, I've had no problem calibrating my new 27" iMac with my I1Display Pro and getting good monitor to print results.  Brightness is not an issue, I calibrate to 100 instead of higher and I use the maximum number of colors.  As Andrew Rodney says, there's always a bit of experimentation with regards to brightness and I settled on 100.  I'm delighted with the new screen but I've never had the opportunity to compare it to the NEC, Eizo or BenQ monitors you mention..
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up