Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dock, Dawn  (Read 539 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Dock, Dawn
« on: July 23, 2017, 11:04:33 am »

Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Dock, Dawn
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 01:53:00 pm »

Tried taming the highlights?

Other than that, it looks like something Monet would have painted in the gardens of Giverny Florida  :)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 02:09:04 pm »

Tried taming the highlights?

Other than that, it looks like something Monet would have painted in the gardens of Giverny Florida  :)

Perhaps Russ could try a bit of highlight and shadow bracketing and then maybe a little digital blending when faced with such high contrast scenes?

- oops, I've gone and said it now....

;D

Only joking Russ, honest  ;)

RSL

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 07:52:52 pm »

Nothing in that picture should have been blown, but going back into it I can see that wasn't the case. Here it is -- unblown. But the contrast from the dawn light is the point.

BobDavid

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 10:33:13 pm »

What catches my eye first is the blackness and the stillness of the lake. The water level in the canal behind our house is very high and the water appears black until you get close to it. ... Your photo has the only bit of sunshine I've seen today, Russ. It's been extra thick on our side of the peninsula. 

That's a demanding scene to capture. And I agree with your comment about the point of the photo is the contrast of dawn light.

It's tricky to catch the cool shadows and the yellow-orange radiance of sunlight reflecting off foliage. Spanish moss is weirdly reflective too. Early morning light and shadow in Florida is tough to capture. At least that has been my experience.

I've resorted to all kinds of PhotoShop cheats and tweaks to pull out and hold back color and values. I have an easier time taking photos of scenes like yours in late afternoon. But the perfect moment is fleeting, so I tend to arrive early and stick around for the right moment.

Did you shoot this with the Pen F? If so, you may find that the Olympus RAW developer works a lot better than LR. However, the Oly software is clunky and slow.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 10:53:37 pm by BobDavid »

RSL

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 09:49:24 am »

Hi Bob, What you're seeing is the Palatlakaha river. Oftentimes early in the morning it's perfectly placid, as it is here -- well, almost; there's a little motion in that water. I made the shot day before yesterday. Later on in the year I'll probably switch to late afternoon shooting instead of the crack-of-dawn thing I've been doing. Once things cool down a bit I'll also be able to get over to St. Aug for some street, and go back to doing regular jaunts through P.E.A.R. Park.

And yes, it's a demanding scene, as are all the very high contrast morning scenes at this time of year. I shot it with the D750 and a 70-300mm lens at 112mm, well within that lens's most effective range. I walked the river for months with the 70-200 f/4, but the whole rig kept gaining weight, so I switched to the lighter 70-300, which I've had since 2008.

For post-processing I stay pretty much in Camera Raw -- and Photoshop if there's a problem that needs something beyond CR -- though if I've been shooting at high ISO I start the processing with DxO Optics Pro, which is the best noise killer I've seen. I don't mess with the Oly software. I shoot with the D750, D800, and the Pen-F -- sometimes two of them in the same day, so I convert everything to .DNG immediately. I use Photoshop and Camera Raw, but it's been a long time since I've done any PP in Lightroom. I use that for cataloging my stuff. On the other hand, I have a pretty rigid storage and backup system that starts with permanently storing the stuff in its original format as it comes off the camera, so I always can go back and start over.

I've probably shot this dock a hundred times from various angles. Every time I go by it the light is different. And the Spanish moss always is different. I love Spanish moss in backlight.
Pages: [1]   Go Up