Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Missing Link - Rust in Pieces - Chain Saw - etc ...  (Read 789 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
The Missing Link - Rust in Pieces - Chain Saw - etc ...
« on: July 23, 2017, 10:19:05 am »

A large old chain dumped next to the harbour in Kyle of Localsh, which had previously been used for many years for a boat mooring I was told, so the deeper the chain links were in the sea, the deeper the pitting of the links, or maybe it's the other way around?

But any hoo, just a fun thing to shoot for no other reason than to enjoy shooting it.

Dave

Rob C

Re: The Missing Link - Rust in Pieces - Chain Saw - etc ...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 10:28:06 am »

A large old chain dumped next to the harbour in Kyle of Localsh, which had previously been used for many years for a boat mooring I was told, so the deeper the chain links were in the sea, the deeper the pitting of the links, or maybe it's the other way around?

But any hoo, just a fun thing to shoot for no other reason than to enjoy shooting it.

Dave

An interesting thought: for my money, I'd say the lower the chain lies then the less the rust. I base this amazing conclusion on the thought that the deeper you go the less oxygen may be free as in bubbles... that's one reason to be a snapper: you don't really have to know the answer to problems like that!

Of course, that's a different kettle of fish to the other foulings your chain will collect - just like oysters and mussels seem prone to gathering too. Bon appétit!

;-)

Rob

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 11:02:27 am »

Interesting wabi sabi, Dave.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 11:19:51 am »

Interesting wabi sabi, Dave.

Hi Russ,

I have been concentrating on other things with my head down for far too long now and so totally missed out on the term "wabi sabi", but having just looked it up on the web as relates to photography and art, I now know what it means:

"Wabi-sabi refers to an elusive and elegant beauty. Wabi suggests a beauty of elegant imperfection. Sabi means loneliness or rather aloneness. Together, they suggest the beauty of ‘the withered, weathered, tarnished, scarred, intimate, coarse, earthly, evanescent, tentative, ephemeral.’ ~ Crispin Sartwell, Six Names of Beauty"

Ya live and learn  :D

Thanks Russ

An interesting thought: for my money, I'd say the lower the chain lies then the less the rust. I base this amazing conclusion on the thought that the deeper you go the less oxygen may be free as in bubbles... that's one reason to be a snapper: you don't really have to know the answer to problems like that!

Of course, that's a different kettle of fish to the other foulings your chain will collect - just like oysters and mussels seem prone to gathering too. Bon appétit!

;-)

Rob

My thoughts entirely Rob, so I wonder is it less oxygen and less rust the deeper you go, or is it more molluscs with more of their digestive acids eating through the chain the deeper you go?

I also should mention, that it had rained heavily when I went to shoot this chain, but as I started to soot it, the sun came out and started to dry it, so some of the deepest pits will still be damp, but the upper surfaces of the chain will be dried and with a fresh coat of oxidisation probably.

This big pile of chain has sat there for over two years I am told, yet I must haven driven past a hundred times and never spotted it before, so much for me being observant and trying to see things photographically all the time.

Dave

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 11:42:23 am »

I like it - a lot.

Jeremy

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 01:48:27 pm »

A homage to George Seurat? A nice one.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 02:16:23 pm »

A homage to George Seurat?

Aha, so you spotted it?

Yes folks, that was a joke!
Pages: [1]   Go Up