Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FUJI GFX and Mamiya 50 PC SHIFT Lens Anyone ?  (Read 4846 times)

the_luminous_french

FUJI GFX and Mamiya 50 PC SHIFT Lens Anyone ?
« on: July 23, 2017, 06:50:09 am »

everything is in the title... FUJI GFX and Mamiya 50 PC SHIFT Lens Anyone ?

I've read somewhere that it doesn't work with some adapters... any one manage to use it ? IQ ?

Thanks

Gerd_Peters

Re: FUJI GFX and Mamiya 50 PC SHIFT Lens Anyone ?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 07:25:44 am »

I use the Mamiya Shift 50mm F4 on the GFX together with a Fotodiox Pro M645 - GFX adapter. The combination works flawlessly and the picture quality is good. However, I have determined that the Fotodiox adapters have a slightly fluctuating quality.

Recently the Mamiya Shift 50mm is rarely used. Since I work almost only with the Cambo Actus XL and the GFX. With the Actus XL the adjustment distances are simply more extensive.

Greeting Gerd

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 12:29:20 pm »

You can mount the GFX on most 4x5 to get movements, with options in glass.
I wonder if they make a adapter for RZ lenses. The RZ has a shift adapter and a 75 shift lens, as well as a very sharp 140
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Gerd_Peters

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 04:52:57 am »

You can mount the GFX on most 4x5 to get movements, with options in glass.

The problem is complex. The GFX simply pin on via an adapter (as Fuji offers it, for example) to a technical view camera is - for me - no solution. The sensor is then in most cases not in the swivel/rotation plane (former film plane). This means that when the sensor is swiveled, the sensor describes a circle and the focus moves. In the case of the Actus XL, the sensor of the GFX can be adjusted precisely in the swivel/rotation plane. Vertical and horizontal format changes are made by simple rotation. Most view cameras do not have a fine drive or it is not exact enough. My Sinar P2 had already a very good fine drive. The fine drive of the Actus XL is again much better and facilitates considerably the work with digital cameras.

The usual problem the short focal lengths on technical view camera are scarcely available is with the Actus XL by the Pentax 645 / Mamiya 645 + RZ / RB etc. Lens plates solved. Some of these lenses have a surprisingly large picture circle. For example, the Pentax 645 A 35mm F3.5 can be shifted almost 20mm, in any direction and rotate up to 12 degrees without a shading. Even the Pentax very rare Pentax 645 D FA 25mm F4 you can still 10mm shifts in any direction and up to 8 degrees (the Cambo Pentax 645 Lensplate, can also control lenses without aperture ring). Since short focal lengths generally require less adjustment, this is enough for me in most cases. Otherwise, you can also use all large-format lenses (Copal 0, 1, 3) and 4x5 stitches - which is quick and easy to do with the Actus XL.

I wonder if they make a adapter for RZ lenses. The RZ has a shift adapter and a 75 shift lens, as well as a very sharp 140

I use, for example, the Mamiya Seiko Macro M L-A 140mm F / 4.5 Macro II RZ 67 lens, with the Cambo RZ Lensplate in the studio on the Actus XL together with the GFX. The mutually independent adjustment distances of the front standard and the image standard cannot be reached with a tilt/shift adapter/lens. Therefore, comparisons between technical view cameras and tilt/shift adapters/lenses are only possible to a limited extent. It makes very well sense, which Cambo appropriate Lensplates offers synonymous if corresponding tilt/shift lenses should be available.

Greeting Gerd

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 01:41:42 pm »

Great points. Yes, once the depth of the camera body and the bellows being in place, you notice its a bit of a distance from lens to film plane, even with a bag bellows it maybe.
From my experience doing closeup coin size figurines and such work, I have found for ultimate sharpness (with max DOF, which is a 2-3mm) you just have to leave the standards pretty much 0/0 and do stacks.
The T/S becomes a bit of a moot function in that situation, vs wide lenses in a architectural space it can make all the difference.
Maybe I have yet to try some combination of options. Regardless of my satisfaction or process, I am always looking to learn new things.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...
Pages: [1]   Go Up