Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom performance improvements...  (Read 18626 times)

rdonson

Lightroom performance improvements...
« on: July 21, 2017, 06:46:45 pm »

What are the Lightroom performance improvements you'd like to see?
Regards,
Ron

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Lightroom performance improvements...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 07:46:50 pm »

I'd like to see the local adjustment functions (brush, graduated filter) provide all the editing tools available in the overall editing toolbox. I'd also like to see the Print Module allow for selection of Saturation and Absolute Rendering Intents. In the Print Module again, I would like to be able to position photos on the custom grid using the arrow keys on my keyboard so that they can be positioned in a very controlled, granular manner (compared with the less precise click and drag method). In the Develop Module, I would like to see the ability to clone/fill into empty space created by some of the Upright adjustments (doable in Photoshop with Content Aware Fill by selecting the empty space and filling it). In the print module I would like to see easier and more accessible ways of adding text to prints.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 03:31:05 am »

Adobe and Ron seem to be talking about performance rather than productivity.

One I have sought since v1, is the ability to use embedded previews in Library, just like PhotoMechanic and Aperture.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 07:53:43 am »

Adobe and Ron seem to be talking about performance rather than productivity.

That's fine, but I think it's important to put all of it on the table whether asked for or not. To me, what the application DOES is at least as important as how efficiently it does whatever it can do and Adobe needs to be reminded that customers have "productivity" views that were raised at one time or another but not yet implemented. In other words: at least in this Forum, let's expand the discussion to ALL that matters.

ButchM

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 02:13:09 pm »

One I have sought since v1, is the ability to use embedded previews in Library, just like PhotoMechanic and Aperture.

Ditto ... we were asking for that as far back as the v1 public beta ... still no response as to any potential inclusion for consideration.

Another item I have been requesting for over a decade now is the option to only import images that were Flagged/Marked/Protected in camera. That alone could save copious amounts of time when working on tight deadlines.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 05:07:09 pm »

I can't see why that would be advantageous.
In the library I want to see the images as I've edited(corrected) them, not raw.

ButchM

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 07:20:03 pm »

I can't see why that would be advantageous.
In the library I want to see the images as I've edited(corrected) them, not raw.

I can't speak for John, but ... several other apps do or have done this and it is invaluable when performing first cull on large imports ... not for viewing past works. Then, of course we do want the Lr generated previews reflecting the results of the efforts performed. It would be nice to turn off the process at the beginning of the process.

Waiting needlessly for Lightroom to build previews when the embedded previews are more than adequate for checking focus accuracy, basic tonal evaluation and composition.

Anyone who has used Photo Mechanic or Aperture where you could use this procedure, would see the value of increased speed for the initial import for meeting stringent deadlines for publication when working with larger volumes of images for sports, news and event coverage.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 08:04:58 pm »

Yes, Photo Mechanic is a great application for very speedy mounting and viewing of large numbers of photos. But don't you think LR does an adequately fast job of displaying the photos to be imported before one starts the import process?

saiguy

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 08:22:50 pm »

I would like to see the local adjustments not bog down the LR system so heavily. Maybe a scratch disk could do that?

ButchM

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 10:14:36 pm »

Yes, Photo Mechanic is a great application for very speedy mounting and viewing of large numbers of photos. But don't you think LR does an adequately fast job of displaying the photos to be imported before one starts the import process?

In a word, no.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 03:59:03 am »

it is invaluable when performing first cull on large imports ... not for viewing past works.
My point exactly. It would probably be helpful to use the embedded jpgs in the import dialogue, but not in the library itself.

Rand47

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 09:46:15 am »

I'd like to see the local adjustment functions (brush, graduated filter) provide all the editing tools available in the overall editing toolbox. I'd also like to see the Print Module allow for selection of Saturation and Absolute Rendering Intents. In the Print Module again, I would like to be able to position photos on the custom grid using the arrow keys on my keyboard so that they can be positioned in a very controlled, granular manner (compared with the less precise click and drag method). In the Develop Module, I would like to see the ability to clone/fill into empty space created by some of the Upright adjustments (doable in Photoshop with Content Aware Fill by selecting the empty space and filling it). In the print module I would like to see easier and more accessible ways of adding text to prints.

I would like to see the ability to "name" each local adjustment pin.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

dreed

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 10:01:08 am »

I wonder how much of the performance penalty in Lightroom is due to its support for plugins?

If Adobe gave us the choice of "plugin support" to support "Develop" or "faster LR", which would most people choose?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 10:57:47 am »

I would like to see the ability to "name" each local adjustment pin.

Rand

Oh - goodness - glad you raised that! I would like to see those pins in the first place! They are all smallish gray dots and they often get lost in the image. I have raised this but so far goes unattended.

ButchM

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 02:38:19 pm »

My point exactly. It would probably be helpful to use the embedded jpgs in the import dialogue, but not in the library itself.

Not necessarily. I want all my images in Lightroom, I really don't want to have to go through the import process twice. Software is supposed to offer solutions not more workarounds ... but I also don't want to wait around for Lightroom to build arbitrary thumbnails or hog resources in the background trying to catch up when the embedded jpegs are more than adequate.

Plus, I'm asking for this to be an optional setting. So if you wouldn't find it useful, you wouldn't have to employ it.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 05:57:18 pm »

Not really - that creates a huge bottleneck. For example, today I think I shot over 3000 images on 2 cards. If embedded JPEGs were only used in Import, I would only gain the benefit if I culled one card at a time in Import.

But the concept of Import is that it gets pictures off cards, backed up, and with common metadata - so you can then clear the cards and move on - while Library has a wide range of comparison and culling tools.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 06:28:48 pm »

By the way, Import does already access the embedded preview.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 06:30:26 pm »

Oh - goodness - glad you raised that! I would like to see those pins in the first place! They are all smallish gray dots and they often get lost in the image. I have raised this but so far goes unattended.

Set their display option to Auto. Then you just need to move the cursor in and out of the image to make the pins stand out.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2017, 06:40:03 pm »

Set their display option to Auto. Then you just need to move the cursor in and out of the image to make the pins stand out.

Yes thanks, I know about that; the same effect can be had by setting it to "Always" and turning the tool on and off. Either can be helpful in a sort of "now you see it - now you don't" sense, but when you don't, it's because the colour of the pin blends in to the colour of where it sits in the photo - often happens especially with a high density photo, so it isn't a complete solution. The complete solution would be to provide for multi-coloured pins. Shouldn't take those high-powered engineers all that much trouble to provide for this; but I suppose like much else people ask for, it's low on their pecking order of improvements to make.

keithrsmith

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2017, 04:54:39 am »

How about allowing zoom while cropping?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up