Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Article with video Ghosts Of The Arctic  (Read 6429 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
New Article with video Ghosts Of The Arctic
« on: July 21, 2017, 03:49:22 pm »

Ghosts Of The Artic is a short video about Joshua Holko, friend, and contributor to this site.  This is a film that explores Josh’s project of photographing the Polar Bear in the dead of winter.  It took days for Josh to come across the bears.  The journey to do so is beautiful.  Enjoy this exquisitely photographed six-minute video and cool off during the hot summer days.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

pearlstreet

Re: New Article with video Ghosts Of The Arctic
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 04:11:35 pm »

Thank you. That is so beautiful - the cinematography is ...I have no words. Spectacularly beautiful - more than anything I have seen. It brought tears - exquisitely perfect.

(I love the cold too)

Sharon

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 06:03:53 pm »

Yes, the video is excellent, behind which the vision, planning and effort involved to do it must be very substantial.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

pearlstreet

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 06:32:52 pm »

Kevin, how do you keep your camera from freezing. We've had a camera quit working at a little above freezing here. Was Josh's bare just for the movie to show Canon branding or is this a special camera?

edit: our camera quit at a little above 0.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:45:42 pm by Sharon VL »

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 07:21:05 pm »

Kevin, how do you keep your camera from freezing. We've had a camera quit working at a little above freezing here. Was Josh's bare just for the movie to show Canon branding or is this a special camera?

Sharon, we had a lot of camera issues during the filming. And not just battery problems. We were using Canon EOS1DX MKII, Canon Cinema 300, Red Epic 8k Weapon, DJI and Sony 4K systems. The only camera that did not have any problems was the 1DX MKII and the Cinema 300. Everything else gave us problems. We had drones that wouldn’t power up and fly, cameras that wouldn’t turn on, steady-cams that would not remain steady, HDMI cables that became brittle and snapped in the cold, frozen audio equipment, broken LCD mounts, broken down snow mobiles and more.  We had a lot of ghosting issues with LCD screens on all cameras. Even the 1DX MKII started ghosting at -30C. But it never missed a beat in terms of operability. The Sony was a major headache.

Personally I shoot in these sort of conditions a lot with the 1DXMKII and I don't use anything special to protect my cameras. Although to get the drone to work for this film we had to tape heat warmers to it and wrap it in duvet inside a dry bag. When we opened it we would get 5 minutes or so before it would die for the day.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 07:36:35 pm »

Josh, I participated in a Yellowstone Winter workshop some years ago; it was bitterly cold (though not 30 below). I was using a Canon 1DsMkIII and it stayed the course, while the less weather-protected Canons and all the Nikons people were using in that group froze-up at some point or another. The same Canon also survived intact from being dropped on a piece of very cold hard ice on "the beach" in Iceland several years ago. For a moment I thought my goose was cooked, but no, it just kept going. In Svalbard several years ago my Sony a6000 seized-up just from a lot of dampness in the air, it wasn't even particularly cold out, while the Canon just carried on working fine. Those cameras may be expensive but there's a reason - they perform almost no matter what.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

pearlstreet

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 07:45:15 pm »

Thanks, Josh. I miswrote in my post. We had a camera quit at a little above 0. :-)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 09:45:25 pm »

Absolutely beautiful and masterfully choreographed!

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 06:23:17 am »

Absolutely beautiful and masterfully choreographed!

Lovely photography and a zillion miles outwith my comfort zone!

Two thoughts:

does music (as distinct from voice) actually add anything in this context, where there is no need for an emotional build-up as in "Hollywood" movie story-telling if only because the visuals are so beautiful as to need no bolstering, shoring up (I've run it twice, the first time sans sound);

what happens in the case of a polar bear deciding to attack: are you always with a marksman or do you do the same as those climbers elsewhere in LuLa seem to do, and just ignore risk? And if there is no armed safety net, what about familial responsibility which might appear more important than the personal - is it ignored?

If this feels too personal, I'm sorry, just ignore it; I can't.

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 10:04:30 am by Rob C »

pearlstreet

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 03:47:29 pm »

what happens in the case of a polar bear deciding to attack: are you always with a marksman or do you do the same as those climbers elsewhere in LuLa seem to do, and just ignore risk? And if there is no armed safety net, what about familial responsibility which might appear more important than the personal - is it ignored?

If this feels too personal, I'm sorry, just ignore it; I can't.

Rob C

The same could be said of war photographers. But I'm glad Josh braved the wild - these bears won't be with us much longer. It seems important to record them.

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 04:32:46 pm »

The same could be said of war photographers. But I'm glad Josh braved the wild - these bears won't be with us much longer. It seems important to record them.

Indeed, and many such war guys go down. Others go peculiar - well, more than they were to go warring voluntarily in the first intance - and in the end, their efforts serve for nothing because the entire world has seen all the carnage it needs. We have become numb to it. That possibly explains the international interest in the Trump saga, now totally a branch of showbiz, with cliffhanger endings each couple of days, whilst metaphorical Romes burn unseen, unwatched, all around us.

I agree, insofar as the film is beautiful. For the bears, perhaps nature will provide a safe passage for them to drift slowly away from the polar region and towards their brown cousins futher south... If we do get a total ban on the use of carbon fuels, then perhaps the economic value of drilling in extreme areas up north will fade as oil becomes less of a necessity. I hope. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 11:23:05 pm »

I loved the videography but the choice and volume of the music subtracted from the overall experience.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 02:23:58 am »

I loved the videography but the choice and volume of the music subtracted from the overall experience.

Ya know.. you can always turn down your volume... #somepeopleneverhappy
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 05:01:21 am »

Ya know.. you can always turn down your volume... #somepeopleneverhappy

Why so touchy about an observation? In another article, you want us to consider all the subtleties of tones etc in making a print. If all you wanted was blanket praise you should have said so to begin with.

TommyWeir

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 06:06:58 am »

I really liked the music, but ANYWAY.

What a stunning location and achievement.  Creating something as beautiful as that so remotely and with such harsh conditions, really quite something.  Wonderful to see sights almost no one else on this site will see...

Would love to know your route to Svalbard.  How did you fly there? How big was the team?

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 06:54:34 am »

I agree Rajan, beautiful scenery, beautifully shot in a beautiful location of stunning creatures and all shown to us for free by an amazing photographer, so complaining seems churlish, but I do agree the sound in places overtakes the level of the narration, which I am sure could be tweaked Joshua, if you so wanted.

Other than that nit pick, stunning work, bravo!

Dave
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 01:59:10 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 09:34:25 am »

I agree Rajan, beautiful scenery, beautifully shot in a beautiful location of a stunning creatures and all shown to us for free by an amazing photographer, so complaining seems churlish, but I do agree the sound in places overtakes the level of the narration, which I am sure could be tweaked Joshua, if you so wanted to.

Other than that nit pick, stunning work, bravo!

Dave

Indeed, and that was partly my concern in Reply #8.

Rob

pearlstreet

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 11:43:00 am »

I was so taken with the beauty, I never noticed the music. Telling someone to turn down the volume is practical, not churlish. As my mom would say, you guys would gripe if you were hung with a new rope.  :)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2017, 02:04:28 pm »

I was so taken with the beauty, I never noticed the music. Telling someone to turn down the volume is practical, not churlish. As my mom would say, you guys would gripe if you were hung with a new rope.  :)

Sharon, I don't think anyone is having a go at Joshua or complaining per se, we are just saying how much we enjoyed the video and how stunning it was, but that there are certain points within his short but none the less amazing film, where some of us viewers cannot clearly hear what Joshua is saying and we are enjoying it so much that would dearly like to hear what it is he is telling us.

Well that is what I meant anyway and I am sure that is also what Rajan and Rob were trying to say as well.

Dave

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2017, 02:27:39 pm »

Great stuff!

Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up