Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: PS curves for Epson ABW printing without the use of ICC profiles.  (Read 13180 times)

texshooter

Re: PS curves for Epson ABW printing without the use of ICC profiles.
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2017, 12:26:29 am »

If Adobe added Rendering Intent and Black Point Compensation to the Assign to Profile function, then the Assign to Profile step in Keith's method could work as a soft proofing tool? As shown below, the Custom Proof function includes RI and BPC, as does Convert to Profile.  But they are entirely missing from Assign to Profile.   
Without RI and BPC, you can't accurately softproof. BPC adjusts the blacks on screen to match the blacks on print.  So why does Assign to Profile not include BPC? It seems simple enough?

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 11:48:24 am by texshooter »

Ferp

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2017, 10:05:55 am »

If Adobe added Rendering Intent and Black Point Compensation to the Assign to Profile function, then the Assign to Profile step in Keith's method could work as a soft proofing tool? As shown below, the Custom Proof function includes RI and BPC, as does Convert to Profile.  But they are entirely missing from Assign to Profile.    Without RI and BPC, you can't accurately softproof. BPC adjusts the blacks on screen to match the blacks on print.  So why does Assign to Profile not include BPC? It seems simple enough?

You're starting to strain my understanding of color management.  I'm not the digitaldog. That said, I don't think that what you're suggesting makes any sense for the assign function.  You're not changing any of the RGB / Lab / CMYK / etc numbers in the file when you assign.  You're only replacing one tagged profile inside the file with another, so that a color management aware application interprets the data differently.  My understanding of rendering intent and BPC are that they come into play when you use the profile, either by converting to or from it, or soft-proofing, or printing.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2017, 10:57:19 pm »

An interesting discussion. Thank you.
It sparked my interest in printing in monochrome on my Canon ipf6300. Almost all my printing is done from Lightroom, and I've never been happy with the results when selecting monochrome in the printer dialogue. The print is always initially much too dark and contrasty. Mostly for convenience I've printed my B&W images in rgb, but I have to be careful to avoid colour casts, particularly in the shadows.
It occurred to me that converting the file to greyscale before printing may solve this issue.
I went a step further and downloaded QTR. I printed off  QTR's 21-step grey wedges and measured them with a Datacolour Spyder and dropped the results into the QTR-Create-ICC droplet for linearisation.
Then converted the photograph to greyscale and then QTR's gray_lab using Photoshop's "convert to profile" ("assign profile" came out nasty).
There is probably an unnecessary step in here somewhere, but the upshot is a print using Canon's monochrome setting that matches what I see on screen, with the shadows opened nicely and a more subtle tonal range. Turning on softproof shows a quite minimal change, apart from a shift of the histogram a little to the right.
This is great news.
David
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 04:39:01 pm by David Sutton »

unesco

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2017, 02:59:18 pm »

It sparked my interest in printing in monochrome on my Canon ipf6300. Almost all my printing is done from Lightroom, and I've never been happy with the results when selecting monochrome in the printer dialogue. [...]
have you tried True Black and White application for your Canon?

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2017, 04:37:51 pm »

have you tried True Black and White application for your Canon?
I'd be happy to try it, but last time I looked it didn't work on a PC.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up