Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom CC 2015.12  (Read 8085 times)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Lightroom CC 2015.12
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2017, 06:59:11 pm »

Is it my imagination, or is the develop module a bit quicker, more responsive, snappier?
I think it's your imagination ... seems pretty much the same for me.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2017, 09:46:51 pm »

Maybe you just haven't noticed the new features they added?

Such as? (outside of LR Mobile)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2017, 03:24:32 am »

Such as? (outside of LR Mobile)

Which is perhaps a slightly artificial distinction.... The original comment was broader than a single bugfix/support release, so the most recent one would be the reference view. Going back - guided upright, dehaze, boundary warp, more local adjustments. See https://www.adobe.com/uk/products/photoshop-lightroom/features.html

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2017, 04:39:14 pm »

Is it my imagination, or is the develop module a bit quicker, more responsive, snappier?
I dunno..  You might be on to something there...  I was doing a ton of spot removals on an image, and it didn't slow down to a crawl as usual.  As a matter of fact, it really didn't slow down at all the whole time - at least not noticeably.  I had the distinct feeling I was in The Twilight Zone.  :D   Other things as well also seemed a bit snappier and responsive, as you say.
Maybe they cleaned up some code or something.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 04:50:27 pm by Hoggy »
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2017, 01:59:18 am »

Just an issue I discovered with LR CC2015.12 - GPU does not work with my graphics card  (old AMD Radeon HD6850) any more. It is not a latest generation card, so I'm not complaining, even if it exceeds the minimum requirements according to Adobe. The odd thing is that it works perfectly fine with ACR 9.12 and any other Adobe CC application

Farmer

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2017, 02:01:42 am »

If it's within specs, try updating the driver and if that doesn't work you should report it to Adobe.  They either need to change their specs or check why it isn't working.
Phil Brown

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2017, 04:01:26 am »

I guess it is a driver issue. Unfortunately AMD is not updating the driver for this graphics card anymore, so maybe it's time to update it.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2017, 11:45:12 pm »

I dunno..  You might be on to something there...  I was doing a ton of spot removals on an image, and it didn't slow down to a crawl as usual.  As a matter of fact, it really didn't slow down at all the whole time - at least not noticeably.  I had the distinct feeling I was in The Twilight Zone.  :D   Other things as well also seemed a bit snappier and responsive, as you say.
Maybe they cleaned up some code or something.
Did some testing.  I don't see any changes.  A file that has no adjustments, spot removal pretty snappy, no real delays.  Reset the file, then made a slight adjustment to the angle, made some pretty dramatic changes to the highlights and shadows. Spot removal definitely laggier.  I've found the more adjustments and local adjustments to file the laggier the spotting becomes.  I tend to remove spots as a last step or close to the end, no point if I'm not going to offer the image or print it. On any image that I've done extensive work to, I make a virtual copy, reset it, spot it, then sync the spots back over to the final file.  A couple of extra steps but very responsive, and saves some frustration.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2017, 05:46:42 am »

I can't speak for Wayne's system/s but on my 2011 iMac the first switch from the Library to the Develop module is noticeably faster.  A lot faster.  The response to the adjustment sliders also seems a bit slicker too, less lag.

Perhaps it depends on the system (hardware and software) as to how much benefit you get ?

For the record, I have El Capitan (latest iteration; and 'Use Graphics Processor' is disabled.

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2017, 09:35:08 pm »

Perhaps it depends on the system (hardware and software) as to how much benefit you get ?
That's what I might be thinking, too.  A lot of people say they hardly notice a speedup with turning the graphics processor usage on - but I notice a pretty hefty speedup here, for the things it's supposed to speed up (and also slow down).  So I usually keep it turned on.

I strictly use a ~2012 AMD 4-core Win10 laptop with the onboard graphics.  Although I read, at the time, AMD's onboard graphics were supposed to be faster than Intel.  But I'm thinking it could have something to do with the shared memory it uses for the graphics..  Might be less 'overhead', if that's the word I'm thinking of. :)

I know the image I was on had profile corrections and upright turned on, cause that would be a normal culprit I would check.  I think I must have done roughly about 70 spot removals on that one.  I haven't used LR much since then, cause I'm into other things right now - but I keep meaning to check further into any seeming-to-be speedups.  Although I do remember pulling up an image with many brushings, and that was still slow as molasses (didn't check spotting) - so for all I know maybe it's primarily spotting on certain systems, as far as local adjustments go.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 09:44:25 pm by Hoggy »
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

Kiwi Paul

• My flickr
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2017, 04:06:43 am »

I'm wondering if some of the perceived speed increases are due to LR been essentially a fresh install after the upgrade, after a few days or weeks it may go back to how it was.
Sony A7R3 + FE 12-24, 24-105, 70-300
Sony RX100 Mk6

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2017, 08:46:01 am »

No changes, in fact maybe a bit slower on larger files from say the GFX or IQ100, way way too long to zoom to 100% as always.  Also still quite slow for me on import screen.

Win10 3.4Ghz intel i7 nvidia GTX970 4GB of V ram, 32GB system ram.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up