Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone Gallery Wrap Paper?  (Read 2066 times)

gdi

Anyone Gallery Wrap Paper?
« on: July 18, 2017, 09:42:57 pm »

I tried one print - BC Elegance Velvet- on EasyWrappe. It was great, except I tightened it too much and  ink and coating cracked across one edge (Glamor II).

But I did like it a lot and want to try again, but I don't want to buy Easywrappe bars yet because I have to buy in boxes of 8.  So I am thinking of trying on plain wide stretchers, and maybe later go back to EasyWrappe.  I know it will be trickier than using the EW, but has anyone tried this before with success?  I would appreciate any tips for stretching the final coated prints -I am afraid my canvas pliers may do damage so maybe I should just do it by had/fingers, and try to tighten with wedges?

Thanks

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Re: Anyone Gallery Wrap Paper?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 10:30:53 pm »

I found that Hahn's Bamboo works excellent. You'll want to use Timeless---not Glamour II.  And roll it on, don't use a hvlp sprayer for this application. 

You might find this old video posting I did many years ago helpful.  See, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wB-d_mUpO4

It is a delicate process, and if you mess up at any stage, you get to start over.  :o

I still have several gallery wrapped bamboo images in studio----look great. In fact, I still have the same one that you see in the video.  It's not something that I've done lately...

Ken

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 01:13:20 am »

It's also fairly easy to wrap cotton papers around the corners of masonite panels.

To hugely simplify, get the back of an oversized print wet with water diluted PVA glue, wait a few minutes for the paper to soften, put the panel down in the center of the print, press hard, wrap the flaps around the back, then start burnishing down both front and back until everything sticks.  The back flaps take some coaxing, it helps to add undiluted glue to the flaps.

I have done this occasionally with Pura Velvet.  Before gluing I give the face of the unmounted print a thin sealer coat of diluted Minwax Polycrylic so I can wipe off errant glue blobs with a wet towel while retaining some flexibility in the print, then one or more final coats after mounting when the glue is dry.  You must mount the print within a 1/2 hour or so of applying that first thin Polycrylic coat when the paint is just barely past the tacky stage but still soft, otherwise you will get cracks.  In addition to having excellent transparency, Polycrylic creates a positively bulletproof surface that is far harder than any canvas varnish I have ever used.  This is an excellent presentation for high abrasion, finger-pokey, fingernail-scratching environments such as public corridors, restaurants, hospitals, etc.  You can even use aggressive solvents to clean off graffiti.

I apply all Polycrylic coats with an HVLP gun, but I think rolling or brushing would also be OK as long as the first coat is applied fast enough to remain flexible while the flaps are folded.  I roll on the dilute PVA.

I have noticed no potato chip effects on my oldest panels.

gdi

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 05:51:31 am »

I found that Hahn's Bamboo works excellent. You'll want to use Timeless---not Glamour II.  And roll it on, don't use a hvlp sprayer for this application. 

You might find this old video posting I did many years ago helpful.  See, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wB-d_mUpO4

It is a delicate process, and if you mess up at any stage, you get to start over.  :o

I still have several gallery wrapped bamboo images in studio----look great. In fact, I still have the same one that you see in the video.  It's not something that I've done lately...

Ken

Thanks, Ken, it was your video for BC that prompted me to give it a shot! 

May I ask why you wouldn't recommend Glamour, but only Timeless?   Glamour II seemed to work fine - I did a satin mix of gloss and matte.  I don't think the cracking was due to the coating, likely my over zealous use of the corner braces!  (And wasn't that Optica in the video? :) )

Ken Doo

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 09:07:08 am »

I tried a variety of fine art papers---and found that Hahn's Bamboo worked best for me. Optica works, but its thickness requires more care. Papers with the weight and thickness of bamboo work best here. Timeless is easier to work into the paper than Glamour II in my experience. On thinner papers in particular, Glamour II was more apt to cause rippling. Not an issue with Timeless, and no need to dilute either.

ken

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 10:33:38 am »

I tried a variety of fine art papers---and found that Hahn's Bamboo worked best for me. Optica works, but its thickness requires more care. Papers with the weight and thickness of bamboo work best here. Timeless is easier to work into the paper than Glamour II in my experience. On thinner papers in particular, Glamour II was more apt to cause rippling. Not an issue with Timeless, and no need to dilute either.

ken
This is something I've wanted to try but I read somewhere that there might be an issue in using the roller technique on paper since Timeless is water soluble and it might impact the pigment layer because of this (canvas wouldn't pose the same issue).  I don't know if this is true or not but did you ever observe this in the papers you tested?

Ken Doo

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 12:36:52 pm »

Hi Alan,  I never had an issue using Epson wide format printers (pigmented ink) and hand rolling with Timeless in this application.  If you take a look at the video, you can tell I'm rather judicious in my application of the Timeless by roller. Roll heavy, work it in, and then back off slowly....never had an issue or problem with the inks.

ken

gdi

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 07:46:00 pm »

Thanks Ken, I didn't have any problems with rippling.  But I did use Elegance and it is 310gm paper, so it ain't no lightweight! 

Alan, I haven't seen any problems with Glamour II, which is also water based, and my Canon 4000 pigment inks.  I think it is worth a try with Timeless, I have seen no warnings like that on the BC website...

I am coating another print tonight, so I'll report back if I experience any problems.

gdi

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 09:59:43 pm »

Just an update...

I didn't have any problem with using Glamour,  I had no rippling and it looks pretty good.  The coating really  helps bring out the blacks on the matte paper.  I stretched it tonight on wide Frederick bars, and I did tear a couple of spots on the back side when I tried to push the limits with the pliers - I believe it is fingers only if I do any more. This is just an experiment, but hanging it looks darn good even though it is not as tight as I would like.

But, I do think Easywrappe may be the way to go for paper, the tape and glue results in decent tightness - its just that they are expensive.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 07:19:09 am »

But, I do think Easywrappe may be the way to go for paper, the tape and glue results in decent tightness - its just that they are expensive.
I just looked at the website and they really are not very clear on what the meaning of '8 pk' is on the pricing chart.  I assume this means 8 pieces, e.g., four bars and four corners.  So if one wanted to do a 12x16 wrap, a 12" and 16" kit would have to be ordered.  This would be about $64 and give you two frames for wrapping or $32/frame.  In comparison a Nielsen framing kit from Frame Destination for the same size is $28.  Pretty close in price.

Ken Doo

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 11:19:44 am »

Best bet for this application is ItSpplies (aka Atlex).  See, https://www.itsupplies.com/StretchIT-Canvas-Gallerie-Wrap-Solutions

The tautness of the stretched paper should be as tight as a drum. Yes, you can thump it like a drum to test it too.  ;) 

ken

gdi

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 01:07:54 pm »

I just looked at the website and they really are not very clear on what the meaning of '8 pk' is on the pricing chart.  I assume this means 8 pieces, e.g., four bars and four corners.  So if one wanted to do a 12x16 wrap, a 12" and 16" kit would have to be ordered.  This would be about $64 and give you two frames for wrapping or $32/frame.  In comparison a Nielsen framing kit from Frame Destination for the same size is $28.  Pretty close in price.

Alan, as I understand it - the pack of 8 refers to bars and there is no need to keep buying the corner jigs.  So that price would be 64 for 4 frames not 2 (but add in BC's high shipping or get them at BH.   So checking prices again, even compared to basic stretcher bars, they are only a few dollars more.   The problem is that 8 pack - I only do personal, low volume work, so I prefer to buy only what I need at the time rather than buy in volume.

gdi

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 01:12:12 pm »

Best bet for this application is ItSpplies (aka Atlex).  See, https://www.itsupplies.com/StretchIT-Canvas-Gallerie-Wrap-Solutions

The tautness of the stretched paper should be as tight as a drum. Yes, you can thump it like a drum to test it too.  ;) 

ken

Yes, they should be tight - I always test by thumping! 

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 03:03:46 pm »

When you do paper gallery wraps is the 1.25 inch bars sufficient or does one need the 1.75?  I wouldn't be doing big prints in all probability.

gdi

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 03:11:35 pm »

When you do paper gallery wraps is the 1.25 inch bars sufficient or does one need the 1.75?  I wouldn't be doing big prints in all probability.

Personally, I only do 1.75 now. though I have a lot of 1.25 bars in my shop area.  The depth gives a presence to the piece that is well worth the extra cost, IMO - and I find them easier to work with.  But of course they require a little more media.
Pages: [1]   Go Up