Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem importing back files opened for HDR processing in Photomatix  (Read 3609 times)

cortlander

I am using Mac OS Sierra and current Capture One 10.1.2

I selected 5 files (xxx.CR2) and did 'Open with..' Photomatix Pro and processed and then saved it back into the same Capture One directory next to the original files, except that now the filename had HDR added i.e. xxxHDR.tif. I can see the file in the same directory in the Finder.

However, I am not seeing it in my Capture One user interface. The File/Synchronize Folder menu choice is greyed out so I cannot synch either. I tried to Import, and can see the HDR file and select it, but get the message that the file cannot be imported into the same folder.

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks.
cortlander

uptownguydenver

• Denverphotoscapes
Re: Problem importing back files opened for HDR processing in Photomatix
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 11:09:36 am »

You didn't say if you are using a session or catalog. If using a catalog if you are referencing the files or adding them into the catalog.

If you are using a session and save the resulting processed HDR file to the Capture folder it will automatically show up. If you are using a catalog and the file is referenced you will need to import the resulting processed HDR file.

I tried it with Aurora HDR application and it works fine using both a session and reference file in a catalog.

In the Import Images dialog the Import To / Destination is set to Current Location

Hope this might be of some help to you.
Phase One Certified Professional. Available for Digital-Tech and photo assistant work in the Denver

cortlander

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 05:53:06 pm »

Thanks very much,  uptownguydenver!
Destination Set to Current Location is what was missing in my steps. I was referencing the processed file in a catalog.
I will try out using the session and saving to the Capture folder.

This was helpful!!

Best,
cortlander

Dinarius

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 11:40:11 am »

A bit off topic, but might be of interest to some reading your thread...

Here is an article that includes a comparison between a process in Photomatix and a single shot file processed in C1, but with Base Characteristics set to Linear.

I've been experimenting with this a bit, and I am finding that the difference between working against the Auto/Film Standard inbuilt curve, and creating your own curve from scratch (with about an additional 2/3 stop exposure of the RAW file) is surprising, to put it mildly.

The added "elasticity" of my Canon 5D file, for want of a better word; the way it can be pushed and pulled in curves and levels, is reminiscent of working with one of my Hasselblad multi-shot files.

The inbuilt curve of Auto/Film Standard removes a lot from the table before you've even started editing.

I may yet switch over completely to Linear.

D.

cortlander

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 11:56:09 am »

Thanks Dinarius, this is fascinating. A few days ago, I saw this Webinar where about 12 minutes in the presenter talks about his preference for Linear Base characteristics. Your post above has encouraged me to give this a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyx-sZB4kVQ&index=16&list=PLBZS3EGK3tQ_r65ab8XMT1gHmKo2_AZNg
cortlander

Dinarius

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 12:02:42 pm »

Thanks for the link.  ;)

D.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 02:14:52 pm »

A bit off topic, but might be of interest to some reading your thread...

Here is an article that includes a comparison between a process in Photomatix and a single shot file processed in C1, but with Base Characteristics set to Linear.

I've been experimenting with this a bit, and I am finding that the difference between working against the Auto/Film Standard inbuilt curve, and creating your own curve from scratch (with about an additional 2/3 stop exposure of the RAW file) is surprising, to put it mildly.

The added "elasticity" of my Canon 5D file, for want of a better word; the way it can be pushed and pulled in curves and levels, is reminiscent of working with one of my Hasselblad multi-shot files.

The inbuilt curve of Auto/Film Standard removes a lot from the table before you've even started editing.

I may yet switch over completely to Linear.

Hi,

I tend to Expose-to-the-Right (ETTR) in low ISO settings for maximum Dynamic Range. I always convert based on a Linear curve in Capture One, because I otherwise lose 2/3rd of a stop highlight detail, and by using a linear curve I can craft my own curve based on image content. It's automated by using a default Style which also sets a few other defaults for my specific camera requirements.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Dinarius

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 02:24:00 pm »

Cheers Bart,

Yes, I always ETTR regardless.

But, when intended for Linear processing, I am finding that I need to add an extra 2/3.

So, in scenes with lots of highlights - e.g. bright, cloudy sky - there are lots of red blinkies on the camera's screen!  8)

And the extra 2/3 does no harm to shadow detail either.

I'm beginning to think that, despite the extra work, Linear is a no-brainer

D.

cortlander

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 02:31:07 pm »

Bart, if you don't mind, could you share your initial workflow after setting the Linear response?
Thanks!
cortlander

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 07:39:24 pm »

Bart, if you don't mind, could you share your initial workflow after setting the Linear response?
Thanks!

Hi,

This may be very much camera dependent, and workflow dependent.

In my default Style, I select the appropriate Camera Profile, and a Linear Response Curve.

I select a Contrast boost of +5, but that, of course, depends on the type of images you shoot. If you shoot studio scenes you'll have control over the scene dynamics, so you could set the contrast to spread the histogram to cover a larger range or leave it some wiggling room at the extremes or do it all with the lighting setup.

Brightness is left at 0, but one could opt for some mid tone brightening. I prefer to use Exposure to brighten the overall image, but if shadows and highlights are already near clipping, and the image still looks a bit too dark for the intended mood, some midtone brightness might help.

I tend to boost the Saturation by +5 (which, with positive adjustments functions a bit more like a Vibrance control). Of course, whether this is needed depends on the selected profile as well. I find the generic profile that comes with my camera reasonably good, but I then prefer slightly more saturation than what the profile gives. When using a custom profile, then Saturation is kept at zero by default but may change when doing postprocessing.

I reduce all noise reductions to 0, except for the Color noise which gets the lowest setting of 1. I do not mind the small amount of noise I get at low ISO settings. For High ISO shots, I prefer using dedicated noise reduction applications.

Depending on average lens quality and camera used (AA-filter or not) one may want to add some (in the order of 5-10) default Clarity and or Structure.

I set Diffraction correction to On, and Hide Distorted areas to Off.

I have a very modest Luma S-Curve set, but I usually change it further depending on the shape of the histogram after the other settings have been done.

I use a default sharpening setting adjusted for my most used aperture settings but only use it to get a better impression of how well I nailed the focus. In my output recipe, I usually have sharpening switched off in the recipe if I'm going to post-process in Photoshop, where I use my preferred Clarity and Sharpening. If I use an output recipe to produce direct output without further post-processing, then it is usually downsampled, in which case the output sharpening proofing is more important than full-size sharpening anyway, so I then manually set the overall Sharpening amount to zero. An amount of 100, Radius of 0.7 or 0.8, and a threshold of 0.1 is my default style.

The Style can be chosen for a specific import operation or set as a Default. Many tools can also have defaults, but doing it with Styles is more flexible if different cameras or shooting setups are used.

After the import, I then have most settings done that I would otherwise almost always have to do to files anyway. Then I run through the various controls for each individual image (after setting White balance for multiple files at once) and may tweak only small amounts for the default settings. After setting the Exposure level, the High Dynamic Range controls are only used to open up too dark shadows or tone down Highlights if needed. I may also use them selectively on Adjustment Layers, e.g. with a bit of negative exposure and some Highlight adjustment for overly bright highlights. The Highlight control tends to darken the highlights, but also reduce their contrasts, so local adjustments with negative exposure may work better to keep highlight contrast. I usually prefer sparkeling highlights.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

cortlander

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 11:12:44 pm »

Thank you so much, Bart. Very good of you to take the time to share not only your workflow but the reasoning behind it.  I have bunch of photographs that I recently shot in Iceland that I have not processed as yet. This will make a world of difference. I have been stuck at a point that my processing became a chore. These tips from a guru like yourself will make processing fun again.

Your help is much appreciated.

Best,
cortlander
Pages: [1]   Go Up